Salticidae photos

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
zLOST said:
Thank you very much. It seems like E. arcuata is one of the most common Salticids here in Czech republic. If only they can be as big as tarantulas :)
I'd pay solid gold for a tarantula sized salti. :worship:
But... considering their agressiveness and fearlessness they would present a hazard to household pets. Not to mention the fun and excitement if you accidentally discover one patrolling inside your shoe. :)

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nowhere near the stunning quality Dark Raptor is presenting :worship: but here's a couple of photos I shot this past spring. I'm afraid I have no idea as to it's Latin name (help anyone?), but it was about 1cm long, quite the character and had these gorgeous green fangs.

PS: if it helps in identifying, the images were shot in Southern Ontario, Canada.

... and thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

looks like P. audax to me and looks male, too.

Awesome shots by the way, thanks for posting! :clap:

Greetings,

Stefan

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
Hi,

looks like P. audax to me and looks male, too.

Awesome shots by the way, thanks for posting! :clap:

Greetings,

Stefan
Hello back and thanks for the compliment! I had to take quite a few photos to get a few good ones... darn thing kept jumping on my lens :D
And thank you for the identification, nice to finally know what I was playing with that day.

All the best.

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although I'm a little hesitant on posting in the same thread as Dark Raptor, I wanted to share this little guy that I rescued out of my pool today. No idea what the species is!

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The Snark said:
I'd pay solid gold for a tarantula sized salti. :worship:
But... considering their agressiveness and fearlessness they would present a hazard to household pets.

But imagine if it was the size of a household pet!
I'd run, fast!
:eek:

zLOST

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tegenaria said:
But imagine if it was the size of a household pet!
I'd run, fast!
:eek:
running would not help. they would always be much faster... say bye to a human kind :)

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
got some jumpers in the mail today, two female Phidippus johnsoni and a female P. octopunctatus. wasn't able to get any good pics of the johnsoni twins, but i'll be sure to once i can. one of them has an egg sack and is hiding so i left her alone, the other is climbing the sides near the lid. it keeps trying to escape whenever i try to open it up to take a picture, so i just put a little water in and closed it up. the octopunctatus was much more cooperative so i was able to take a few pictures.

it looks like she had previously lost one of her legs but it has regenerated. a couple other leg segments show some wear, so i'm looking forward to seeing her after a molt.

edit...lets see some more saltis! wheres dark raptor? hopefully building up an amazing collection of photos.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
those are great shots! I cant wait till it warms up and my house is flooded in jumpers again :D

Tegenaria

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they are fantastic litle spiders arent they? We get the common black and white one in summer, stalking the walls under the windowsill outside.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
i found some small bugs in one of my P. johnsoni enclosures this morning. :D

so far i've only counted 10-12. they kept moving around which made it hard to get a good count..and there could be more on the substrate i didn't see. time to get some fruit flies.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats! They're quite large, awesome!

I am going to purchase some Jumpers this week or next from the Spider Pharm.

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi

Can you please tell me all the dealers who sell jumpers?

Regards
Andi

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi

Can you please tell me all the dealers who sell jumpers?

Regards
Andi
Andi,

The Spider Pharm based in Arizona, USA sells two North American Salticidae species, female P. octopunctatis, male and female P. johnsoni.

I looked through out their site but haven't found any overseas policies. Call or email them.

Spider Pharm's Jumping Spiders from their True Spider pricelist.

Blackrose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi

Are there other shops where I can buy Phidippus?
I only know Todd Gearheart and the Spider Pharm!

Regards
Andi