Salticidae photos

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! This one looks really cool. Very good picture :clap: .
I wish I could find Philaeus chrysops this year. This is probably one of the most beautiful Salticidae spider in Europe.

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guys! :D
He was pretty fun to shoot, so I think I might try shooting him in a more natural setting sometime later. Something more like your shots, Dark Raptor. Pretty creative and awesome looking pics BTW. I especially like the shot of the S. scenicus hiding!

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fluid Filter said:
Something more like your shots, Dark Raptor. Pretty creative and awesome looking pics BTW. I especially like the shot of the S. scenicus hiding!
Thanks.
I'll try to get them more sharpen. My x2 teleconverter makes my pics too blur.

Mr. Skakun

Arachnopeon
Fluid Filter, your jumper looks like Habronattus sp. I don't wanna shoot what exactly species is yours ;)

Dark Raptor, I'm proud of Polish Salticidae-Maniacs, like U ;)

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Yup, Salticidae is probably the most interesting "true-spider" family I know :D

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally, I was able to catch Salticus while it was jumping! I couldn't take good pics when it was in the air... too fast for me ;)

Preparing for jump...

And lift off...

And another set of pics.

And one of my terrariums for Salticidae spiders

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow - very good pictures. I hope some US guys will see that quality and stop to post hugh unsharp blured handy-cam-pictures. ;)

what a cam (equipment) do you use for your pictures?

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
wow - very good pictures. I hope some US guys will see that quality and stop to post hugh unsharp blured handy-cam-pictures. ;)

what a cam (equipment) do you use for your pictures?

Thanks ;)

I think if they only try to work more on every shot (and think before taking it) this could result in better quality. And they shouldn't forget that after taking every pic it is "natural" to use PS (or other program) to make picture sharper (and to correct WB, colors ect.).

I use Nikon D70s with Nikkor micro 105/2.8 lens and Kenko x2 teleconverter.

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, i agree with you. Unfortunately the guys arent motivated enough here on arachnoboards, cause every <edit> picture is followed by comments like "wah, awsome picture". Would the ppl add a productiv review about the pictures, the shooter would maybe animated to make better shots.

Nice equipment do you have. Interessting that you use a 2x converter with this 105mm macro lens (which can made a 1:1). What is your normally shot distance?

Dark Raptor said:
Thanks ;)

I think if they only try to work more on every shot (and think before taking it) this could result in better quality. And they shouldn't forget that after taking every pic it is "natural" to use PS (or other program) to make picture sharper (and to correct WB, colors ect.).

I use Nikon D70s with Nikkor micro 105/2.8 lens and Kenko x2 teleconverter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
Yes, i agree with you. Unfortunately the guys arent motivated enough here on arachnoboards, cause every shitty picture is followed by comments like "wah, awsome picture". Would the ppl add a productiv review about the pictures, the shooter would maybe animated to make better shots.
I think it sounds too "aggressive" ;)
I see people here who take better pics with every thread they make. So it isn't as bad as it supose to be :D
My pics are still not good as I'd like to have and still there is a lot of things before me. I've bought my camera in February and I learn something new, every time I press shooter button.

T.Raab said:
Nice equipment do you have. Interessting that you use a 2x converter with this 105mm macro lens (which can made a 1:1). What is your normally shot distance?
31 cm, but I should change my teleconverter for something like PN-11 macro ring. Pictures will be less blur and I'll get better magnification.

And I'd like to have AF-S VR 105 mm f/2,8G IF-ED lens... but it is still too expensive for me :evil:

Last edited:

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
Would the ppl add a productiv review about the pictures, the shooter would maybe animated to make better shots.
I think someone should make special sticki "manual" somwhere here on AB about macrophotography ect. My language skills are too bad, so I won't do this :8o

We've prepared something like this on polish terraristic forum and after few weeks people started to post better pics than before.

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dark Raptor said:
I think someone should make special sticki "manual" somwhere here on AB about macrophotography ect. My language skills are too bad, so I won't do this :8o

We've prepared something like this on polish terraristic forum and after few weeks people started to post better pics than before.
That sounds really great and useful. Maybe one of the us/english guys will make such a thread and add some usefull infos about photography in general and macrophotography.

Dark Raptor said:
I think it sounds too "aggressive"
It should sounds aggressiv. Its only i'm a bit frustrated that some ppl thinks that blured unsharp pix are great. And its frustrating that they could make better shots, i'm sure! ;)
Nobody is perfect - and nobody will be perfect, but is it overcharge to make rudimental sharp pictures? I dont "demand" a good image formation or something artful, just a bit sharp and a image size thats fit on a normal monitor. ;)
But you are right, not all pictures are bad, there are many talented shooters here on the board. New Hope is rising! ;)

I should get in the next time a Canon EOS 350d with a Canon EF-S 60/2.8 USM and hope to learn fast to work with this cam. Atm i use a SONY DSC-F717 (Compact Cam) without any additional lens.

paleocaver

Arachnopeon

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
paleocaver said:
This was one of the first macro shots of a spider I ever took. I strive to get better. My gear is a Pentax *istD, standard lens (18 - 55). Macro setting on camera. What can I do (or buy) to get better results.
Nice spiders but there is too much "noise" in the pics. You should use Photoshop, gimp, neatimage or photofiltre to edit photos before posting them. That should help a lot.

I'm the person who blieve that almost every camera is good (except these in mobile phones) for photography. The most important is photographer :D
Macrophotography is the only case when equipment plays important role. Good lens gives you good magnification. In cheap cameras lenses are rather "dark", and give you only a few options that you can have with DSLR cameras. Nikon D50 (or highier), Canon 350d or 10d, 20/30d, 5d are the best choice. There is also Konika-Minolta but I don't know their products. I've been always using Nikon cameras, so D70s was a natural choice for me. All of them have one shortcoming... price. You don't pay only for camera's 'body' but also lenses and additional equipment, which can be very expensive.
The funniest fing is that photo equipment is sometimes 30% cheaper in US than in Poland... and we earn less than ppl in this country {D So my friends buy cameras when they go there :)

paleocaver

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice. I bought Pentax over Nikon and Canon because I had the lenses and accessories from decades of Pentax ownership. Kind of like your buying Nikon.

I'll practice, get a macro ring and some expansion tubes and keep trying.

It's dark now, think I'll roam around the yard and look for wolfs. :D

Scott

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New pics taken in NW Poland. I ID only few species there (I collected more than 15 "morphospecies"). Some of them (probably: Aelurillus v-insignitus, Asianellus festivus, Phlegra sp., Sitticus spp., Marpissa muscosa, Phellenes nigrociliatus) you can see below. Enjoy :D

...as you see they consume oter jumping spiders as well.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Amazing pics. :worship: :clap: I really like #4 and #12. The band of red over the eyes of #4 reminds me of Raphael (the Ninja Turtle) and #12 looks like it's trying to decide if jumping off that leaf is really the best idea. :D