Salmon Pink Bird Eater or Brazilian Giant White Knee?

Which one do you like better? Salmon Pink Bird Eater or Brazilian Giant White Knee

• Total voters

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
The LP . The scientific names translates into Shaggy skinned from a region bad for navigation . Maybe not the best reason to choose a T but I pick em the way I pick em .

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
No question about it: geniculata. Gorgeous spider. Are you under the impression that LP's are one of the biggest tarantulas? They're not. Dealers inflate their size so they can move those hundreds of tiny slings on their shelves. They average around 7-8", and genics get that big too, so size isn't a consideration between these two species. Go for color.
Do LPs really not get 10"?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
No they don't . I don't know where that idea came from but I have had a bunch of them over the years and none of them have reached a ten inch leg span . They get big , just not that big .

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
lol good choice! if a dealer or the internet says so and so spider gets 10", theyre very likely lying to improve sales.

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
lol good choice! if a dealer or the internet says so and so spider gets 10", theyre very likely lying to improve sales.
So does that mean that A. Genics won't get 7-8 inches because people lie? Same with my Chaco golden knee?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
So does that mean that A. Genics won't get 7-8 inches because people lie? Same with my Chaco golden knee?
I think it's more that people lie about LPs because they produce such big sacs so they have a massive amount of slings to get rid of

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
I think it's more that people lie about LPs because they produce such big sacs so they have a massive amount of slings to get rid of
Oh ok. That makes sense. Are there even any Ts that get 10" or is everyone lying? I feel so deceived.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
No they don't . I don't know where that idea came from but I have had a bunch of them over the years and none of them have reached a ten inch leg span . They get big , just not that big .
This one looks close to 10 inches. Doesn't it? Maybe my eyes are deceived.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's impossible to tell w/out a standard measurement in there, be it a ruler, or something of known size. While certainly larger than my AF B. boehmei, she's about 5.5-5.75" DLS, it's too hard to tell in that vid if that T is beyond 8" let alone 10"

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
the above video reminded me that I had seen one with a scale reference. Handling videos sort of go against the general philosophy here in regard to keeping spiders, but...meh. It may be helpful. A CD is 4.7 inches in diameter, so estimate away, folks!

RMJ

Arachnosquire
A. Geniculata :p I have a 7" Female and shes just over 2 years old

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
no. The only T's I'm aware of that can reach the 10" mark are T. stirmi and T. blondi, both absolutely massive and awesome. I haven't owned any but I believe it when some of the older users on the forums here that say their's reached that. :) L. parahybana on the other hand I DO own.. my MM is roughly 8.5 DLS and I have to say, it's still quite impressive in size.

It's impossible to tell w/out a standard measurement in there, be it a ruler, or something of known size. While certainly larger than my AF B. boehmei, she's about 5.5-5.75" DLS, it's too hard to tell in that vid if that T is beyond 8" let alone 10"
^^ this. When estimating the size of a T based on the only point of reference is a person, its hard to tell because maybe she's got really small hands. A small woman with small hands will make that T look a LOT bigger then say a 6.5 ft man with big hands as the point of reference. That may make the same T look like a juvenile. ;)

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Look at the the video at the :27 second mark then compare her right hand to the size of the tarantula . The national average for a woman hand is 6.7 inches so it can assumed that the T in the video is about seven inches . Granted it could be even smaller since she appears to be a fairly small woman or even a teenager . I think that the ratio for hand length compared to height is roughly .10 in woman so if that T is ten inches then her height would be around 100 inches or 8.3 feet . That skinny little gal is not eight feet tall . That is over a foot taller then Shaquille O'neal . The stories of ten inch LPs are just fish stories that are told about Ts that people have seen but there is never one actually around when it comes time to give proof .