Safe to assume (gender and breeding ready)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I have a P cambridgei that is about the same size or bigger of my adult male OBT ca I assume that "she" is a she and is ready to be mated? Below are two pictures that you can go off of they arent recent but she hasnt shed since these pictures so she is the same size as i write this.

Also I put 2 crickets in there and a roach she hasn't touched any of them and she also hasn't ate in two weeks because I didn't buy any crickets for that amount of time..Is this a pre-molt or is she just not hungry?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
The size of your P. murinus would have nothing to do with maturity size of P. cambridgei. They get much larger than P. murinus, you would need to wait for a moult to sex it to know for sure. And if she isn't eating then it sounds like you don't have too long to wait for a moult to sex.

Arachnophiliac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I have a P cambridgei that is about the same size or bigger of my adult male OBT ca I assume that "she" is a she and is ready to be mated? Below are two pictures that you can go off of they arent recent but she hasnt shed since these pictures so she is the same size as i write this.

Also I put 2 crickets in there and a roach she hasn't touched any of them and she also hasn't ate in two weeks because I didn't buy any crickets for that amount of time..Is this a pre-molt or is she just not hungry?
I would not assume gender at that size. Indeed cambridgei is much larger than a Usumbara, and though it is tough to gauge the size from the pictures, I'd say that you have a subadult spider for sure. Cheers,
Bruce

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The size of your P. murinus would have nothing to do with maturity size of P. cambridgei. They get much larger than P. murinus, you would need to wait for a moult to sex it to know for sure. And if she isn't eating then it sounds like you don't have too long to wait for a moult to sex.
LORG - you were absolutely right it was a molt. molted last night some time. So thanks again for that. I have another question....Can some Ts be sexed by their adult colors?....I think I may have a female cause at the size "she" is at now I don't see the fluffy gray color that i seen on a breeding male in the matin video that was on you tube....Still a chance (maybe from the next 2 molts) that it could be a male?..Right now its a bright olive green

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say from the colors she had before her molt that she is a she. Males are an over all tan color, Ill take a picture of my immature male I have that's
4" and you can see the difference.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Can you grab the moult out and try and sex it? Then you will know for sure. Congrats on the moult!:)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you grab the moult out and try and sex it? Then you will know for sure. Congrats on the moult!:)
I did take it out but all i was see was the book lungs everything else was chewed up...so i guess i wait until the next molt...

I hope you are right Talken

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My male looked just like a female until he molted mature.

This is him around 4"

and mature

The female I bred him too, note her size.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh alright i get it now....But thats thing waldo..mine is green all 100% dark green at the front half of the body and from the abdomen down light green..not brown....her brown stage (like your mature male before he molted) she already past.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe you had a weird colored male but I took some pics to show how noticeable the colors are on a immature male and female.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry mate but that bottom pic is NOT a female cambridgei. That is a cross between a cambridgei and an irminia... A hybrid.

Female cambridgei:

Female irminia:

And yours is a cross of the two... Hope you haven't mated these two??

Originally Posted by waldo View Post
Thats correct. That's how it SHOULD be.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ryan mate, your female does look alittle to dark:? and unlike many PC's i have seen....

wayne

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm 100% sure that's a hybrid. He pm'd me and said it came from cambridgei parents...well .. lol how did it end up lookin like that then?!?! haha Not only is it too dark, but it has the abdominal markings of the irminia!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and some people wonder why so many are against hybrids.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does anyone else agree this is a hybrid coz Ryan seems to think otherwise.

If he has mated this female then god help anyone buying the slings that wants to breed.. this should be kept on the 'pet' shelf. Glad it's over there and not in the UK near me lol I've never seen a hybrid in the flesh.. We thankfully don't seem to have any over here... no doubt some bright spark is selling them somewhere though.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I agree that it looks nothing like a "normal" P. cambridgei. Hybrid seems likely.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am willing to buy hybrids...so if anyone has them for a reasonable price or just wants to give them away i'll take em...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone else agree this is a hybrid coz Ryan seems to think otherwise.

If he has mated this female then god help anyone buying the slings that wants to breed.. this should be kept on the 'pet' shelf. Glad it's over there and not in the UK near me lol I've never seen a hybrid in the flesh.. We thankfully don't seem to have any over here... no doubt some bright spark is selling them somewhere though.
Funny trying to make me out like someone that is going to mess up the genus knowingly. :rolleyes:
This female was bought from NW inverts. So I will go re confirm the source of where this came from and that's that.
Enough people here know me and I am not out to cross breed anything and everything and sell it as pure just to make a buck.
Watch yourself before you go accusing someone like that. :embarrassed:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow Ryan that P.cambridgei is either a hybrid or infact a P.irmina. I'd say hybrid though..:wall: