rescued this dog i found on the street i saw laying on the ground

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
However, picking up a random stray animal is not something you HAVE to do.
Have you ever driven or been a passenger in a motor vehicle that was not proceeding on a route solely for the basic necessities of life? Have you ever crossed the road for any reason other than to acquire food/shelter/medical aid etc. Have you ever attended a movie at a theatre (read: giant room full of contagious diseases). None of these are, strictly speaking, necessary.

You also dealt a lot with percentage, but in my book, it either happens or not.

There are many probabilities. Like you said, even a purebred can have some unknown diseases as well. But that probability is higher in a stray dog that you know nothing of.
You contradict yourself. Either you evaluate the risk based on the probability of it happening or you don't. If you do, then picking up a stray while using some common sense is not the doomsday scenario you make it out to be. If you don't, then you shouldn't have a purebred from a breeder either.

Its just better to avoid things that can be avoided in the first place.
Fair enough. Here are a list of things you should avoid in the future:
- driving (big-time killer)
- straying too close to a motorway (cars and whatnot)
- straying too far from a motorway (no access to emergency vehicles)
- trans fats (heart disease)
- sexual intercourse (STDs, physical strain, emotional turmoil)
- posting to web forums (carpal tunnel, eye strain etc.)
- staying up late (sleep deprivation)
- sleeping too much (all sorts of health risks)
- dehydration (cloudy judgment, possible organ damage)
- drinking too much (can actually kill you)
- drinking too much alcohol (self-explanatory)
- drinking a moderate amount of alcohol (still reduces your reaction time)

.. have I made my point?

Cheers,
Dave

jonnysebachi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HaHa, now you took all the fun out of life. Lets all just sit in our chairs and not move. LOL. Or we could all just take risks and share joy when we succeed and support when we don"t

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Viet! That's a nice sized feeder you have there, can be sure to feed your Ts for a veeeeery long time if you freeze it and take small bits each time...

hehe i know i am sooo funny:D ;P

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow. Gotta love how every thread on this forum turns into a debate/argument. Nothing wrong with some friendly education, but I think viet is old enough to make rational choices and calculated risks if he pleases without being talked to like a five year old who pet a stranger's doggie without asking.

I say good work on helping out a dog in need as an informed adult capable of assessing a situation and making a choice. The world is short on compassion and can use all it can get.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the guy was telling us about something good he did, we don't need to lecture him.

<snip>
Wow. Gotta love how every thread on this forum turns into a debate/argument. Nothing wrong with some friendly education, but I think viet is old enough to make rational choices and calculated risks if he pleases without being talked to like a five year old who pet a stranger's doggie without asking.

I say good work on helping out a dog in need as an informed adult capable of assessing a situation and making a choice. The world is short on compassion and can use all it can get.
Kudos to you Vietnamese, for your well thought out assessed the situation and made a rational adult decison act of kindess. Will you keep the dog?

And Thanks SHD for stepping in. To get back to the dog itself. It doesn't look like a spitz at all to me, but you never can be too sure. The eyes just don't seem to fit the family. My first though was Corgi mix.....

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

well done roachgirlren :worship: :worship: :clap: :clap: :clap: you are SO right :) :) and sums it up well ;) ---- phil

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Wow. Gotta love how every thread on this forum turns into a debate/argument.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that.

Ducks and runs:D

But seriously....I don't see where helping a animal in distress is necessarily such a dangerous thing for an adult who understands the risks involved. And I consider the only real threat to be a bite. A dog will sometimes snap without an obvious warning I had to pass on adopting a stray just last summer for that very reason.
As has been pointed out, one can potentially come in contact with more virulent pathogens via everyday activities such as simply placing their hands on the handle of a shopping cart, or sharing the air on a bus, or touching the doorknob of a restroom, or handling money, or....well, you get the idea. And those are just the biological risks of everyday life.
I'm personally more leery of human contact than I am from zoonotic exposure, but that's just me.
Besides, that's a great looking dog! It would have been a shame for it to perish uncared for. Especially if it's disposition matches it's appearance. I'd have rescued it in a heartbeat.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This thread....wow.

Anywho, I think you did a great thing rescuing that dog. I would rather risk getting bitten or whatever to save him, then just stand by and watch the dog suffer. Good job :)

lilies34

Arachnopeon
wow. that was a kind thing for you to do! the dog looks great now. i can't imagine how he'd look like before you found him...{D