rescued this dog i found on the street i saw laying on the ground

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i saw this dog laying on the ground. one of his legs are hurt and now i gave hhim a nice bath and cleaned him off pretty good now hes sleeping next to me i feel so good that i did that
heres a pictures of him =]

as you can see hes nice and shiny now with his fur =]

i dont know what breed he is but it has lots off fur like a husky and alot of back leg muscles like really huge

and a big neck!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He looks like an American Eskimo Dog, also known as an Eskimo Spitz. They're quite popular dogs. Normally, they have a thicker coat, but then, he's probably been struggling to survive out on the street for some time, and poor nutrition and other factors will cause dogs to lose a lot of their hair. He should really start to look and feel much better now that you've taken him in and given him proper care.

In spite of the breed name, they're neither Eskimo sled dogs nor American, but were originally German Spitzes. The name was changed during the World War I era when all things German were despised, and many things with German names underwent name changes to make them more politically-correct. These dogs are in the same family as the Huskies, Samoyeds and Malamutes, though.

Good luck with him, and great job rescuing him!

pitbulllady

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: that was an awesome thing ya did! he looks real happy and content now:D

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well done man :clap: :clap: :clap: and BIG respect to you :worship: :worship: i am so happy you did rescue that wonderful dog a ray of light in this crappy world thanks for some good news :) :) :) ---- phil

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You said one of his legs was injured, though I don't see anything in the pictures. Are you taking him to the vet?

Should probably take him to the vet anyway, no telling if being outdoors on his own so long has given him worms or something. :eek:

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
d

well the injury is not visible that i can see but it limps on the back leg and yeah im takin him to the vet today

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well done, man! It breaks my heart to see suffering dogs. You did a real decent thing. :)

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awww he’s so cute!!! You’re so awesome for taking him in. You made my (so far crappy) day a lot better. It’s nice to hear about people actually caring about animals every now and then.

Good job!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

What did you name him?

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GJ but I also think it could have turned out bad in many ways. I've seen a guy tried to feed a stray dog before and got bitten real good for it too.

Not to even mention untold diseases etc etc that might be harmful to you.

Helping animals is great and all but your safety is first. One of these days....you never know. Just watch out :D

Later

Weird how no one really thought much of that...

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a

i named him "lucky" and still is learning that name by calling it and feeding him so he gets use to it =]

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say he looks to be in pretty good condition for a stray. Could turn out to be a great pet.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
GJ but I also think it could have turned out bad in many ways. I've seen a guy tried to feed a stray dog before and got bitten real good for it too.

Not to even mention untold diseases etc etc that might be harmful to you.

Helping animals is great and all but your safety is first. One of these days....you never know. Just watch out :D

Later

Weird how no one really thought much of that...
There are no "untold diseases" that you can get from dogs here in the US. Rabies in dogs is nearly non-existent due to stringent vaccination requirements, and until last year, was considered wiped out. The few cases that have occured have all been in dogs that were recently imported from developing countries where the disease is still rampant by well-meaning shelters. Rabies is not an impossibility in a dog, but it's far less likely to show up in a dog than in a cat or a wild animal. Sarcoptic mange is contagious to humans, but it's pretty obvious when a dog has it, too, as is ringworm. Internal parasites are mainly a concern with small children, who constantly put their hands in their mouths and are therefore more likely to ingest animal feces. Canine Brucellosis can, albeit VERY rarely, be transmitted to humans, almost always through direct contact with fluids from a female dog that has miscarried a litter, which is the most obvious symptom in dogs. Canine diseases like distemper, Parvo and canine hepatitis are NOT transmissible to humans. Of course, any dog can bite, and ALL of them will if presented with the right circumstances, but someone who knows dogs can "read" their body language and usually assess pretty well if that dog is aggressive.

pitbulllady

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Information from the Center for Disease Control. I guess I wouldn't exactly call them 'untold' either. Your new pet is probably fine, looks great!.... but kids especially are at risk from stray dogs.

Brucella canis Infection (brucellosis): A bacterial disease rarely associated with dogs.

Campylobacter Infection (campylobacteriosis): A bacterial disease associated with dogs, cats, and farm animals.

Cryptosporidium Infection (cryptosporidiosis): A parasitic disease associated with dogs, especially puppies, cats, and farm animals.

Dipylidium Infection (tapeworm): A parasitic disease associated with dogs, cats and fleas.

Giardia Infection (giardiasis): A parasitic disease associated with various animals, including dogs and their environment (including water).

Hookworm Infection: A parasitic disease associated with dogs and cats and their environment.

Leishmania Infection (leishmaniasis): A parasitic disease associated with dogs and sand flies outside the United States.

Leptospira Infection (leptospirosis): A bacterial disease associated with wild and domestic animals, including dogs.

Lyme Disease: A bacterial disease that can affect dogs and ticks.

Q Fever (Coxiella burnetii): A bacterial disease occasionally associated with dogs.

Rabies: A viral disease associated with various animals, including dogs. Rare in the United States.

Ringworm: A fungal disease associated with dogs.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: A bacterial disease associated with dogs and ticks.

Roundworm: See Toxocara infection.

Salmonella Infection (salmonellosis): A bacterial disease associated with various animals including dogs.

Tapeworm (flea tapeworm): See Dipylidium Infection.

Toxocara Infection (toxocariasis, roundworm): A parasitic disease associated with dogs and cats and their environment.

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Untold meaning stuff that you wouldn't expect since he obviously don't know the animal's history or whereabouts BEFORE.

The diseases/parasites found in the dog is one thing, but you don't know where its been or what other animals its been in contact with before. Those are the UNTOLD diseases. Rabies in dogs, like you said, are ALMOST non-existant, however, they still exist thats why we're still required to give them those shots. You're just looking at diseases that a dog can carry but if its in contact with another animal that carries a different disease, then you're dealing with something else as well.

I usually try to not expect everything because many times its the things that you DON'T expect, that happens...saving a dog is great but I'm certainly not going to encourage anyone I know to do that because I definately don't want to be liable for what MIGHT happen. Since its something I definately don't want to encourage, that is to go out and help any strays that you see, it is on my list of things not to do.

You can't just list out diseases and be like "oh, okay if I don't want to catch this disease or that, I won't do this or that and that'll mean I'll never catch it"

You're only human and ppl make mistakes, no matter how careful you are or how much you think you know. The best and safest way is NOT to just go up to a stray and bring it home. The brightest minds in the world in their fields make mistakes ALL the time, so what makes you think you wont.

I just think saying "oh good job man" *pat pat* is a very bad message to send out because for all you know a kid might be reading this and be like "oh the next time I see a stray I should help it too because it seems like a great thing to do!" based on what he's seeing here.

I helped a lot of strays when I was little, like pigeons, cats, dogs...and some others. But this is just something u learn as you grow up. Your safety is first, because its not going to help anyone or anything when you're sick or dead.

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are no "untold diseases" that you can get from dogs here in the US. Rabies in dogs is nearly non-existent due to stringent vaccination requirements, and until last year, was considered wiped out. The few cases that have occured have all been in dogs that were recently imported from developing countries where the disease is still rampant by well-meaning shelters. Rabies is not an impossibility in a dog, but it's far less likely to show up in a dog than in a cat or a wild animal. Sarcoptic mange is contagious to humans, but it's pretty obvious when a dog has it, too, as is ringworm. Internal parasites are mainly a concern with small children, who constantly put their hands in their mouths and are therefore more likely to ingest animal feces. Canine Brucellosis can, albeit VERY rarely, be transmitted to humans, almost always through direct contact with fluids from a female dog that has miscarried a litter, which is the most obvious symptom in dogs. Canine diseases like distemper, Parvo and canine hepatitis are NOT transmissible to humans. Of course, any dog can bite, and ALL of them will if presented with the right circumstances, but someone who knows dogs can "read" their body language and usually assess pretty well if that dog is aggressive.

pitbulllady

shes right

i dont just go and try to save every stray i see.
i do notice the body langauge before i go up to them and try to save or whatever you know im not that dumb to save a dog that looks like its going to bite me or want me to go away.

and i gave him his shots

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
shes right

i dont just go and try to save every stray i see.
i do notice the body langauge before i go up to them and try to save or whatever you know im not that dumb to save a dog that looks like its going to bite me or want me to go away.

and i gave him his shots

Whats your major? Have you studied intensively/thoroughly enough to call yourself a "professional" in diagnosing all possible illnesses and/or diseases that this animal can or may carry?

Sorry but even the people that really know about this (mind you, also from experience and not simply from opening up a book or searching/reading it through the internet) and are known as the "best" in their fields make tons of mistakes.

You say that you just don't go and save every stray you see, that you do notice the body language before you try to save them, but I'm saying that that is NOT enough to know what kind of diseases an animal carries.

If diseases are easily diagnosed by simply LOOKING, we wouldn't have nearly as much problem as we have and had before.

You have not a clue about the animals background or the things its been in contact with before so how do you know for sure what you're looking for in terms of diagnosing?

You say you're not picking up any strays without thinking, but by saying that it was okay because you checked the ANIMALS BODY LANGUAGE before you picked it up, shows me that you are indeed picking up strays without thinking.

I have never heard of anybody telling their kids to pick up a stray animal after they check the animal's body language....

If you are so confident about your methods, I hope you are confident enough to encourage the ppl that you know to do the same. My family knows a few doctors/physicians/and a vet or two (personally as we have cook outs and stuff with them and I bought a car from them and one's married to my mom's cousin) and I wouldn't even dare to bring up this kind of idea to them.

Sorry but if its something I definately don't want to share with anyone else, thats when I know its a bad idea lol.

I pray to God (I'm Christian btw hence the God part) that I'm not the only one seeing this. I'm very confident in what I'm saying here and I wouldn't be standing so strongly if I wasn't.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the guy was telling us about something good he did, we don't need to lecture him.

if you don't feel comfortable with going up to a stray dog/animal there is an easy solution.. animal control, they know what they're doing and they'll take the dog away.