Regina's actually a male D:

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
If anything, I wish I had at least waited a few weeks to find the molt and sex it, until after I had bought another tarantula at Repticon. Now that I know it's a male, any new tarantula I buy will feel like a replacement rather than an addition. It was by pure happenstance that I even found the old exoskeleton, too. My mom didn't tell me where she put it, I just opened a random drawer and it was in there. If only I'd found it later :(
Don't be sexist, use the power of imagination! :p

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
If anything, I wish I had at least waited a few weeks to find the molt and sex it, until after I had bought another tarantula at Repticon. Now that I know it's a male, any new tarantula I buy will feel like a replacement rather than an addition. It was by pure happenstance that I even found the old exoskeleton, too. My mom didn't tell me where she put it, I just opened a random drawer and it was in there. If only I'd found it later :(
Just buy a mature female of the same species and let the magic happen

cold blood

Staff member
But was your first tarantula a male?
Lots of peoples first t was male...its still a valuable learning experience regardless of the sex.

A new one is a new one and not a replacement....just because its male doesnt mean its going to die any time soon...you could still have him for several years. And even after maturing you can still have him for another few years.

Think of it this way...a male grammy might live 7-10 years....which is about the same life span as many dogs. Its life is not a flash in the pan so to speak.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is why ventral sexing is not an exact science
In my experience, it's not usually close most of the time. You'd think it it would be given the answer is a 50/50 guess. We, as keepers, tend to favor wanting female results and will often try to pick out guesses that lean in that direction.

Even after molt sexing I still find it difficult to find a difference on the vent of species I have both of.

Last edited:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Also, while my first tarantula was a female A.Seemani, my second tarantula was a male Brachypelma Hamori, whom I traded when he matured for a mature female A.Chalcodes....I was a moron as I had the chance for a 50/50

louise f

Arachnoangel
I only JUST now realized exactly what I've been getting told repeatedly. I keep hearing "but you can breed him and get his babies!" and I kept thinking "so? My first tarantula is still a male". But then I realized, yeah. They're HIS babies. The offspring of my first tarantula. I can have them :D im not that mad anymore
There you go, that`s the spirit. <3 ;) A male is not a bad thing. You can always trade slings of his legacy to other T`s. Not that bad at all. :)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Even after molt sexing I still find it difficult to find a difference on the vent of species I have both of.
Are you using the word "vent" in this sentence to describe anatomy or a position? I realize "vent" in "vent sexing" is short for ventral, as in determining the gender of a tarantula by examining the bottom side. It seems like sometimes people use it incorrectly as a term for anatomy as in "judging by the vent, it appears male". But then again, sometimes I can't tell how it is being used.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This. Even after molt sexing I still have trouble telling what A T is when ventral sexing. Often both males and females that I have of the same species looks the same to me when epiandrous fusillae sexing.
I realize "vent" in "vent sexing" is short for ventral, as in determining the gender of a tarantula by examining the bottom side.
Spermathecae sexing usually is pretty easy since I've been using the microscope.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This. Even after molt sexing I still have trouble telling what A T is when ventral sexing. Often both males and females that I have of the same species looks the same to me when epiandrous fusillae sexing.

Spermathecae sexing usually is pretty easy since I've been using the microscope.
I figured as much. Whenever I see someone type "the vent" I translate it in my head as "the bottom" and it seems funny. Better is when I see the epigastric furrow or epigynum as "lips" or it's obvious when someone uses "vent" as an anatomical term. It makes me think of vent as an abbreviation for ventilation. :D

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I figured as much. Whenever I see someone type "the vent" I translate it in my head as "the bottom" and it seems funny. Better is when I see the epigastric furrow or epigynum as "lips" or it's obvious when someone uses "vent" as an anatomical term. It makes me think of vent as an abbreviation for ventilation. :D
I think some herp people call the cloaca a "vent," as in, snout to vent length. I suspect there's some carried over confusion in many cases.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I think some herp people call the cloaca a "vent," as in, snout to vent length. I suspect there's some carried over confusion in many cases.
Yeah, in my case it was just me being lazy. It was faster to type vent than epiandrous fusillae and molt rather than spermathecae.

:)