Really big problem, need help!

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you never washed the vials is it no possible that the vial had a form of contamination? How many dead were in that batch of vials vs other vials?

Just throwing some things out there aswell. Would love to know the cause of this.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's possible, but very unlikely. Some viruses are sensitive to 'normal' temperatures, others are not. I don't think it'll help. It may even stress out the spiders in a bad way.
Harmful to take them down from 80 to 74? How so?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
To be fair, you didn't actually specify temperatures. I don't think 6 F (~3.3 C) is anywhere near enough to affect a pathogen significantly.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Most animals function better and recover faster at warmer temperatures because of increased metabolism, body fluid movement, and all that jazz. But I don't think lowering the temperature by 6 degrees would benefit or harm the spiders in any way, they're just used to the warmer temps already.

-Sean

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ryan, I would drop temps gradually 2 deg week
but Its all sounds pretty ridicules, in wild there could be such dramatic temp changes, so I would really not worry that 6 degrees

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To be fair, you didn't actually specify temperatures. I don't think 6 F (~3.3 C) is anywhere near enough to affect a pathogen significantly.
Oh I did not mean to come off sounding like that, I just thought for a second I might have caused more harm then good by dropping the temps the way I did.
Well that sucks, now not only can I not point a good solid finger at what caused it, I can't point a finger at what really stopped it ether, (if it is in fact over).:wall:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How long has it been since any of your Ts have been affected?

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh I did not mean to come off sounding like that, I just thought for a second I might have caused more harm then good by dropping the temps the way I did.
Well that sucks, now not only can I not point a good solid finger at what caused it, I can't point a finger at what really stopped it ether, (if it is in fact over).:wall:
If it was an airborne, waterborne, or even contact-borne toxin, it may well have been over before you had gotten onto it. The effects may have been delayed.

Ditto for the bacterial/viral/fungal hypotheses.

Basically, there's really no way to tell unless you can see SOMETHING in common with those who were affected.

LaneyKaz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about calling the water department, i live in the same area as Ryan and use the same water and i haven't had any problems at all with any of mine. I have been watching them closely to see if anyone shows any symptoms but mine are all acting fine. Just trying to help you narrow it down. I would hate for something like this to happen to my small little collection of T's. Hope you get it figured out. :eek:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well frick. 6 more cases today. All regalis. I wonder why the regalis are being hit so hard. :confused: :(

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well frick. 6 more cases today. All regalis. I wonder why the regalis are being hit so hard. :confused: :(
Unless there's something in common to all these, then I'd suggest that all you can do is remove the sick ones and try to prevent introducing anything new.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are all from the same sac, they are all regalis, and they are all in vials in groups of 5, so I guess you can say they have a lot in common.

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey man im wondering... did you sell any of these BEFORE this outbreak happend? and if so have any of the people you sold them to called back about it happening to theirs? might help you narrow it down to when this outbreak started to better help you figure it out. Bc if it didnt happen to any of the ones you sold then it was nothing there at birth IMO. Just a thought. good luck my friend

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
None of the slings in this sac had been sold yet.
I already know when the outbreak started...............How could I not know:confused:

xodustrance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey man im wondering... did you sell any of these BEFORE this outbreak happend? and if so have any of the people you sold them to called back about it happening to theirs? might help you narrow it down to when this outbreak started to better help you figure it out. Bc if it didnt happen to any of the ones you sold then it was nothing there at birth IMO. Just a thought. good luck my friend
I got slings like 1 to 1.5 weeks before this outbreak of his. All seem to be healthy and doing fine.

Maybe a fertile but genetically incompatible match resulting in high percentages of defects? Could be, I dont know.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are all from the same sac, they are all regalis, and they are all in vials in groups of 5, so I guess you can say they have a lot in common.
Yeah, but they don't share any of that with the adults who contracted the same symptoms.

Ammo87

Arachnopeon
Chemicals are most likely your problem

Think about it, you are feeding your roaches fruits, vegetables and pet foods treated with pesticides. These can cause neuological damage and that is what the spiders are acting like.....like they have neurological damage by the way they act and move. Each state has it's own regulations on pesticide levels, and some imported fruits and vegetables, the countries have no regulations, sure sample sizes are tested, but acceptable levels for humans are not the same for creatures considerably smaller than us, just think about it. I have seen fields sprayed from the air with acceptable pesticides, but do some looking around as I have done on those sprayed field and you will find all kinds of inverts and verts acting just like your spiders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does this affect wild-caught Ts or just captive-bred? Has anyone ever observed the problem in the wild? I haven't seen where anyone indicated their Ts with the problem were anything but captive-bred or at least long-term captives. I was thinking, since it appears nearly every possible cause has been explored but nothing has been resolved, maybe it is a problem in the Ts themselves. If it seems to affect only the captive-bred ones it might be a nutritional deficiency of some kind that gets worse in successive generations. Ts are fed a couple of basic kinds of feeders in captivity but in the wild they eat a highly varied diet. Maybe something is either missing in the feeders we give them or possibly they are getting overdosed on something that accumulates in their bodies and interferes with their nervous system. This could easily happen with a diet of roaches and crix that are fed what we would consider a very good diet because so little is really known about what a T actually needs nutritionally. Maybe the gut loads and special foods are harming instead of helping. Maybe a greater variety of feeders is needed. I'm just guessing here but who knows? Is there any information on the numbers of young vs older Ts being affected? I'm kind of leaning toward maybe an overdose of something building up in their bodies because the ones that survive a molt are the ones that get better.