Realities of dealing with hot scorps

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Dave, that is entirely possible...out of the 'easily' available species I would say that C.margaritatas in a nice one...never kept one myself though.

John
];')

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought that was you, Dave, but to be honest it could have been Edward. I just didn't want to take credit for the fantastic recommendation!

Chris

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, no, the only Centruroides sp. I own are C.vittatus and C.gracilis. But everyone I talk to says C. margaritatus is a pleasure to own, better looking than both of mine and much more entertaining.

Chris

PS, not that it matters, you can't go wrong with Centruroides!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I like C.gracilis a lot. I had one, but it finally died. Hopefuly I'll be trading Mat (Chau...) for some. You're right, you absolutely can't go wrong with them. In many ways, my communal C.exilicauda enclosure is my favourite. There is always someone out and about.

Cheers,
Dave

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really appreciate the input guys

Well, I have to say that I am very pleased with all the info from you scorpion guys...these are no doubt extremely fascinating animals and my Emperors and RedClaws have whetted my appetite to go up a notch to a desert "Hot" - that being said I think a Desert Hairy sounds like a good step for me.I do not think I am experienced enough to be honest to jump into something like A.australis or L.quinquestriatus - I will leave that to the professionals amongst you for now.Perhaps someday.......

I can see the appeal that scorpions have though...they are wickedly beautiful and many species can no doubt back it up with a venomous punch.I must admit that I also like the Parabuthus family as well.

Once again I appreciate all you guys taking the time to set me straight on scorps!!!

The Spider Hunter:}

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ahhh, yes. The recommendation I made of Centruroides margaritatus was over at insecthobbyist scorpion forums, Reitz. That has been quite some time now. I had forgotten who I had said that to. *lol* It's definitely one of my favorite species I currently keep and is greatly a visual stimulator.

Spider Hunter,

No doubt, you will not be displeased with Hadrurus genus scorpions, as the present scorps of this genus I keep, are more aggressive than any Deathstalkers, Thicktails or Fattails I have ever kept or seen. They are also much more likely to stay out in the open and remain in visual locations for your veiwing. The more dangerous ones I just mentioned are more likely to run from anything bothering them, rather than to stay and attempt to fight, like Hadrurus (H. spadix being the more feisty ones of my groups). No doubt, there are some exceptions to the more dangerous scorps I keep as well, some even close to matching in likelyhood to attack, but not in such numbers I have seen with H. spadix.

adios,
edw.

=D