Reactions to the bite of a stonecentipede

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so now you are telling me what my hobbies (centipede bites) are and what i can and can't talk about?

do you want to do my taxes for me? perhaps construct my meal plans for the week?

i think it is quite interesting to read about a real scientist that is obviously getting envenomated by the centipedes. i think it is very interesting to see pics and vids of choo getting bit and envenomated by centipedes. i think it is very interesting that anyone could still disagree with any of the points covered in the face of overwhelming evidence :)

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone who reads this thread, let alone the other one, knows this quote of yous is a blatant lie. What's the point of that?

You were on the centipede bite depth tangent, I just went with you. I said the NE stone centipedes couldn't even get through the first layer of my skin. Zero depth penetration.
so then i guess your experience is the rule, rather than the exception. i've been bitten more than a few times myself. if they bite me on a calloused area, there's no reaction. it's different if i'm bitten on say, the back of the hand. is your only purpose to argue? that's gonna help the hobby........

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i also find it very interesting that choo's symptoms very closely matched the scientific paper's description of stone centipede envenomation :D

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Nice info, I think that pretty much kills the ranting.....

Oh, I took to long to post.....:8o

Here's a news flash from NBC...de de de dedede dede de
[YOUTUBE]aMfr2CgIPhg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for the reference mili!

Last edited:

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not again....

Nobody read this part? Nobody noticed the experiment was the guy having it bite hime in the armpit and sitting there up to 30 seconds at a shot?
It's a thin-skinned people conspiracy!
Ok so after CLOSELY reviewing the closed thread, Choo's pics and checking out this submission, I have to say I'm quite impressed by your persistance in beating a dead horse.

First off, as it has already been pointed out, Cacoseraph IS the resident expert here on centipede bites. Questioning that was your first mistake.

Second... refusing to back down after Choobaine's pictures, or what they call EVIDENCE in the legal world, (particularly the one with the bite marks circled), was just pure arrogance.

Lastly I'd like to respond to your comment about being allowed to revive closed threads...

YOU'RE THE ONE WHO REVIVED THE ARGUMENT!!!!

Up until you arrived at this thread, we were all just enjoying the interesting results of the study.

My suggestion to you is to just get over it, move on with your life, and stop instigating this before the mod's shut another interesting thread down.

YA BEAT, LET IT GO!

If you really need to fight with someone over this, do it via pm or email or whatever so that the rest of us can enjoy the thread.

As a side note to Cacoseraph and Choobaine, well done!

Last edited:

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last post from my side to this topic.

If the bite pain is immediate exactly when does the (maximum) 30 seconds take place?
The pain comes in the moment when the claw enters your skin. He just waited when the centipede ended biting by thereselves. Some where only biting and some stayed with the claw in the skin. Hope I understood your question now right.

I think "what is normal skin?" is a neverending discussion. Your whole body is covered with different types/depth of skin and your neighbour has another type of skin on the same body part. Our fingers e.g. are sensitive for pressure/touching etc. but the skin (Epidermis) is thick and robust.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
talking about skin, i have noticed an interesting "feature" (in the same way some computer programming bugs are called features =P )

normally my skin is fairly durable and resistant to most kinds of damage... but when it gets wet for more than a few minutes it softens up *quite* a bit! if i brush up against twigs or rocks when i have been swimming at a lake for a while i can actually get freely bleeding cuts!

so i imagine all people share this trait to *some* extent and it could be a fairly important situational modifier that would allow for much easier penetration at some times

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
i've been bitten more than a few times myself. if they bite me on a calloused area, there's no reaction. it's different if i'm bitten on say, the back of the hand. is your only purpose to argue? that's gonna help the hobby........
That's a mysteriously tardy claim. You could have let me know you've been getting bitten by stone centipedes all the time and shut me up a long time ago.
I don't imagine a disagreement on the real chances of getting a stone centipede bite (since they are small and don't fly* and aren't likely to end up on the back of your hand or in your armpit) is going to pull anyone away from the hobby.

(*I mean flight under their own power, please Caco don't prove me wrong by flinging your pede across the room and making a video.)

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You missed the forced bite references and the thread starter already said he revived a closed thread. Nice try.
Maybe you should try reading posts more closely... What I said was

"YOU'RE THE ONE WHO REVIVED THE ARGUMENT!!!!"

See... it says argument, not thread. Nice try for you as well!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Trying to pretend the same thread and disagreement are two entirely different entities with a play on words doesn't make your statement true.
I see your link, you keep African Assassin bugs? I hear the bite is even worse than a stone centipede.;)

Last edited:

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OMG! bullets wont kill it!

there's a point where it's not debate

Don't argue for the sake of arguing, it's messed up this perfectly good (and very interesting) thread.

anyway back on topic (hint hint)
that's still an awesome photo.... I love photography like that

gonna see if I can do my own, but I don't have a cam good enough! My webcam focuses on close up stuff better! actually I have a nice high res webcam, in the right conditions ...
yeah I'm gonna give it a shot!

my lil' stone centipedes are doing great, they are incredible animals, even for their small size, made so well to hunt! mine are getting a little pudgy, not too pudgy, but they look really healthy, I figure they would make for some nice macro photography.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was bitten by one of these in Ireland a number of years ago, and it did cause a good bit of pain. Anyone want a bite report for it??

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How are bullets supposed to kill a dead horse anyway?

What are you feeding your stone centipedes?
Glad you admit it's a dead horse too. Let's leave it be, it's starting to funk up the place a bit. Sorry, ;) I had to, once I can start comparing things to dead animals I tend to go a bit crazy.

Mine are kept in a tank that is exactly like where I found them, except I can look at 'em instead. They eat lil' isopods, earthworms, beetle grubs and stuff, little harmless things that are essentially there as food.

Ireland doesn't have the most incredible food variety! :p

Go for it, Venom! :)
I'm curious!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
So you don't feed them anything, just collect some materials from outside with small inverts then?

One thing sort of interesting, though possibly coincidental, is the girl in Ireland, the guy in Michigan and the German guy seem to all be getting bitten by an Irish stone centipede (post 1"Lithobius variegatus, a stone centipede common in the western part of Europe, Great Britain and also Ireland").

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what's a more successful way of keeping an invert than simulating it's natural environment and the diet it has eaten for generations?
best part is I look after all of them, predator and prey, the result is the food keeping itself stocked

I do pop in worms now and again but that's because I like the little trails they make but I've bred Oniscus asellus and Porcellio scaber for an eternity, all I need to do to keep them breeding is keep dead leaves, damp soil and moss (for looks) in there.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What can I say? Those red-headed Irish centipedes are feisty!

Sure thing, Choo! I'll get on it.

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks venom! :)

glad someone else has experience of Ireland
hey can you tell me some good spots for finding the bigger ones? I haven't had much experience apart from the odd trip up the mournes and around Castlewellan and there's certain parts of those that are total dead zones. :/

I apreciate it :)