Quickly addicted, plus questions.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
A few of us own A. geroldi, myself included. I strongly suggest you search the forum via Google for this information. People always ask about the challenges of keeping Avics, but they DO NOT take the time to learn this. How do I know this? Because this questions gets ask more times than Dumb Donald Trump lies to the American public, well almost.
I did search A. geroldi on Google before posting this. The majority of Arachnoboards results were 4+ years old. Since there may be new information since those threads were active I decided to make this thread. Also, I did not want to assume that all Avics needed the same things, aside from the higher ventilation that others confirmed. Me taking the time to ask for advice, help, and information is one way I am trying to learn. Hearing things from current keepers seemed like the most reliable way to gain accurate information to me.

I have read that Avics are quite fast, some even jump. Are these things you have experienced or have any advice for?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I did search A. geroldi on Google before posting this. The majority of Arachnoboards results were 4+ years old. Since there may be new information since those threads were active I decided to make this thread. Also, I did not want to assume that all Avics needed the same things, aside from the higher ventilation that others confirmed. Me taking the time to ask for advice, help, and information is one way I am trying to learn. Hearing things from current keepers seemed like the most reliable way to gain accurate information to me.

I have read that Avics are quite fast, some even jump. Are these things you have experienced or have any advice for?
Ah I see. The info you reported are common to all Avics. In short there are no special requirements for A. geroldi. They can be more flighty than A. avics.

I've kept a lot of different species, and some that are not defined by science, all kept the same.

See my link in my sig file. Q's come back here after reading.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
@viper69 Thank you, I didn't want to make any mistakes in care. Like most if not all here, these animals have become part of my family and I want to do right by them. It may be that I am on mobile currently, but I don't see signatures :shifty: As soon as I can get back to my computer I will definitely check out the link. Thanks again!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 Thank you, I didn't want to make any mistakes in care. Like most if not all here, these animals have become part of my family and I want to do right by them. It may be that I am on mobile currently, but I don't see signatures :shifty: As soon as I can get back to my computer I will definitely check out the link. Thanks again!
BAM http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

Also, 32 oz deli cups make EXCELLENT Avic containers when they are about 1-2.5"

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wonderful! Thank you once again! I am going to bookmark that for future reference. I bought extra 32oz cups when I picked up the 2 new G. pulchripes, looks like it was a good idea!
They are great for arboreals, not for terrestrials.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
They are great for arboreals, not for terrestrials.
Original idea for them was a catch cup, and a shaker for the vitamin powders I use on insects for my geckos. I'm just glad the store I go to has an abundance of them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Original idea for them was a catch cup, and a shaker for the vitamin powders I use on insects for my geckos. I'm just glad the store I go to has an abundance of them.
What gex do you own? I've owned Leopards, and a few different Uroplatus. I do the shake n bake too, but use a ziplock bag.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
What gex do you own? I've owned Leopards, and a few different Uroplatus. I do the shake n bake too, but use a ziplock bag.
I have 1.1 Leopards and an unsexed Gargoyle. I used to use ziplock too but I always had too much trouble getting the crickets back out.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Do you see yourself expanding that collection again some day, @Chris LXXIX ?
Nah, man.
I have other priorities such saving money for enlarge my collection of old (and naked) celebrities/politician Ladies pictures: I'm near to find Whoopi Goldberg and Hillary Clinton authentic pics, as you can imagine those are priced a lot :troll:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Nah, man.
I have other priorities such saving money for enlarge my collection of old (and naked) celebrities/politician Ladies pictures: I'm near to find Whoopi Goldberg and Hillary Clinton authentic pics, as you can imagine those are priced a lot :troll:
:eek:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Joking. To not expanding my T's collection, I mean u_u

This Spring (late Spring) I have already my hands on an Asian (H.hainanum, or C.hainanum, or 'al diavolo' what's called now that Chinese bugger) another genus Hysterocrates... things like that.

I'm a man that loves to 'savor' T's like an Italian, class A, red wine. Ain't under the rapture of owning everything :-s

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Joking. To not expanding my T's collection, I mean u_u

This Spring (late Spring) I have already my hands on an Asian (H.hainanum, or C.hainanum, or 'al diavolo' what's called now that Chinese bugger) another genus Hysterocrates... things like that.

I'm a man that loves to 'savor' T's like an Italian, class A, red wine. Ain't under the rapture of owning everything :-s
:oldman:;):rolleyes:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Just a small update. I did buy two A. geroldi slings today, along with other supplies. I only took one photo so far, by far these are the smallest slings I've bought so far. Here's the photo though

IMG_20170320_204245.jpg

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
@viper69
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are the vials big enough and ventilated enough? The vials are approximately 1.5-2" outer diameter by about 3" tall. The vents you can see in the photo are the same on the opposite side. The slings are close to the .5-.75" DLS size. Also curious of a good way to keep them humid enough.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I typically do 4 holes vertically (top to bottom) at the 12, 9, 3 and 6 positions of a clock.

No need to worry about humidity. Size of vial might be OK. I go by visuals, hard for me to tell in your pic. At .75" it's getting a bit small.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I typically do 4 holes vertically (top to bottom) at the 12, 9, 3 and 6 positions of a clock.

No need to worry about humidity. Size of vial might be OK. I go by visuals, hard for me to tell in your pic. At .75" it's getting a bit small.
Yeah, I realized how tough it'd be to gauge the size of the vials after I posted. Thanks for the information though! I think they will be ok until they molt and then I will move them to a bigger home.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Just wanted to offer a quick update on the A. geroldi "Twins" for any who may still be watching this thread.
They both appear to be doing well and have been given the monikers of Right and Left due to where they are positioned on the shelf.
These two have further proves that each T is its own individual and as such has a unique personality. Left has decided to come to the top of the vial a few times when I am feeding or watering. Just to take a peek at the outside world and to say hello :) Though with those long legs and fuzzy toes I worry when trying to close up again. Right however is quite the cooperative little one, tends to turn facing down if I open the vial. Never seems interested in the top when it is open.
Both are fantastic eaters when hungry. I have never had a cricket last more than 15min in there with either.

I did have one question though... Are these fast, medium, or slow growing species? So far my experience is limited to P. fasciata (fast ime), C. cyaneopubescens (medium), and G. pulchripes (slow). Even though I know it isn't helpful, I can't help but worry when any of my slings don't molted after it seems they are ready to. With these two, it is very hard for me to get a good look at them to see if they are in pre-molt yet.