Quickly addicted, plus questions.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just wanted to offer a quick update on the A. geroldi "Twins" for any who may still be watching this thread.
They both appear to be doing well and have been given the monikers of Right and Left due to where they are positioned on the shelf.
These two have further proves that each T is its own individual and as such has a unique personality. Left has decided to come to the top of the vial a few times when I am feeding or watering. Just to take a peek at the outside world and to say hello :) Though with those long legs and fuzzy toes I worry when trying to close up again. Right however is quite the cooperative little one, tends to turn facing down if I open the vial. Never seems interested in the top when it is open.
Both are fantastic eaters when hungry. I have never had a cricket last more than 15min in there with either.

I did have one question though... Are these fast, medium, or slow growing species? So far my experience is limited to P. fasciata (fast ime), C. cyaneopubescens (medium), and G. pulchripes (slow). Even though I know it isn't helpful, I can't help but worry when any of my slings don't molted after it seems they are ready to. With these two, it is very hard for me to get a good look at them to see if they are in pre-molt yet.
I consider C. versi's to be pretty fast for "Avics". So geroldi, medium. C. cyano, is faster than geroldi IME.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Thanks! I almost just started a conversation with you since you have become my go-to-guy for Avics lol

Figured others may enjoy my little stories though.

Thanks again though, I really do appreciate all the advice you have given me. AB needs a Thank you rating for posts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! I almost just started a conversation with you since you have become my go-to-guy for Avics lol

Figured others may enjoy my little stories though.

Thanks again though, I really do appreciate all the advice you have given me. AB needs a Thank you rating for posts.
You're welcome. Always nice to see someone with Avics, esp some of the less common ones. About the closest thing would be the LIKE emoticon or AGREE. The board actually keeps tracks of a few stats, you can check it out under members at the very top.

There are many Avic enthusiasts on here.

I owned an AF geroldi once, I have a young female now. They get to be quite large, not so much leg span, maybe 5.5-5.75" DLS, but quite a large in mass. Mine almost had the body of my AF smithi. It was pretty surprising.

Last edited:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
You're welcome. Always nice to see someone with Avics, esp some of the less common ones. About the closest thing would be the LIKE emoticon or AGREE. The board actually keeps tracks of a few stats, you can check it out under members at the very top.

There are many Avic enthusiasts on here.
I try to save the Agree for when I actually know something. Doesn't happen often when discussing Ts. I do think I'm learning at a decent pace though. Compared to some at least. One thing I conceded to, even though I absolutely love all the sp. I have not jumped ahead of myself into another Poecilotheria... I've been very lucky so far. My fasciata has cooperated with everything except letting me get exuvia to check the sex. After an extra 3 months of research I definitely understand why I was reprimanded for getting one right away. Thank you for that too.
I have definitely noticed how many Avic fans there are. Gotta admit, with how much personality these two have shown me I am definitely happy I got them. One day when I have more room I may go for others even. The uncommon of any classification of animal I am very drawn to.
Getting accustomed to Ts is a new world for me because I am so used to reptiles, it is hard to break from developed habits and expect things in a given time frame.

Thank you, again, for being so patient with me, and offering advice since I joined.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I try to save the Agree for when I actually know something. Doesn't happen often when discussing Ts. I do think I'm learning at a decent pace though. Compared to some at least. One thing I conceded to, even though I absolutely love all the sp. I have not jumped ahead of myself into another Poecilotheria... I've been very lucky so far. My fasciata has cooperated with everything except letting me get exuvia to check the sex. After an extra 3 months of research I definitely understand why I was reprimanded for getting one right away. Thank you for that too.
I have definitely noticed how many Avic fans there are. Gotta admit, with how much personality these two have shown me I am definitely happy I got them. One day when I have more room I may go for others even. The uncommon of any classification of animal I am very drawn to.
Getting accustomed to Ts is a new world for me because I am so used to reptiles, it is hard to break from developed habits and expect things in a given time frame.

Thank you, again, for being so patient with me, and offering advice since I joined.
NO problem, that's what we are here for. People helped me, I help others. We all need help in something.

Well if you want another Avic-- just ask, there's a great variety out there, some characterized by science, many not.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I owned an AF geroldi once, I have a young female now. They get to be quite large, not so much leg span, maybe 5.5-5.75" DLS, but quite a large in mass. Mine almost had the body of my AF smithi. It was pretty surprising.
From what I have read that really is a good sized A. geroldi o_O Another random question, are they always so leggy? My Twins are so far but as far as I know, they are not very old. Maybe a couple of months. They have yet to molt for me at least.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From what I have read that really is a good sized A. geroldi o_O Another random question, are they always so leggy? My Twins are so far but as far as I know, they are not very old. Maybe a couple of months. They have yet to molt for me at least.
Leggy is a subjective term, so I can't answer without a picture. I've raised other Avics, and I didn't feel their legs were any larger than another Avic proportionately speaking.

But my AF geroldi was not leggy, just a regular T. Certainly didn't have a Poki body style.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
@viper69 Like I said before, you're my go-to guy for Avics, just wanted your opinion on these 32oz deli cups for my Avics. Getting ready to rehouse them and was wondering if I should take out some of the substrate. The sticks are web anchor points btw.

20170430_105806.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 Like I said before, you're my go-to guy for Avics, just wanted your opinion on these 32oz deli cups for my Avics. Getting ready to rehouse them and was wondering if I should take out some of the substrate. The sticks are web anchor points btw.

View attachment 238715
See the cup on the right-- I'd fill up the sub to the bottom of the label edge, no higher, that's far too little wrong. Give them a palace my man! ;) I appreciate your confidence.

You can go one of 2 routes on deli cups, neither is wrong.

You can put in more cage furniture than I do, which you have.

OR, you can go with more spartan conditions. In a 32 oz deli, I just put in a thinly cut slab of cork bark at an angle, resting in the sub.

They will be fine. I know it may sound like a prison cell, but w/my spartan set up, they thrive quite well. It isn't until they are larger that I give them more of a branched/anchor point design.

@CWilson1351 I added a bit more above.

Last edited:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
See the cup on the right-- I'd fill up the sub to the bottom of the label edge, no higher, that's far too little wrong. Give them a palace my man! ;) I appreciate your confidence.
Awesome! I figured the substrate was too high. Does that look alright on the ventilation?
You know your stuff man, hopefully one day I won't have to bug you for info. Hopefully I will know on my own :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome! I figured the substrate was too high. Does that look alright on the ventilation?
You know your stuff man, hopefully one day I won't have to bug you for info. Hopefully I will know on my own :)
We all stand on the shoulders of others. As others helped me, I do the same.

Vent- That's fine PROVIDED the carapace isn't more narrow than the holes, otherwise you will have an escape. At the moment it looks like maybe you will have crickets escaping depending upon prey size.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
We all stand on the shoulders of others. As others helped me, I do the same.

Vent- That's fine PROVIDED the carapace isn't more narrow than the holes, otherwise you will have an escape. At the moment it looks like maybe you will have crickets escaping depending upon prey size.
Ok, I may continue to hold off for a bit longer then. Not sure if they'd make it through or not. Rather play it safe than have my first escape. The pinhead crickets definitely would escape. Thanks again!
I try to help out others, for now here, I just tend to back up what more experienced keepers say lol The more reptile centered forum I am on, I feel more confident giving advice. Been keeping them a lot longer than tarantulas.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, I may continue to hold off for a bit longer then. Not sure if they'd make it through or not. Rather play it safe than have my first escape. The pinhead crickets definitely would escape. Thanks again!
I try to help out others, for now here, I just tend to back up what more experienced keepers say lol The more reptile centered forum I am on, I feel more confident giving advice. Been keeping them a lot longer than tarantulas.
Same here with herps, I've had herps MUCH longer than Ts. What do you have, which forum?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Currently I have 0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.1 Ball Python (Mojave morph), 1.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.0.1 Gargoyle gecko. In the past I've had a couple B.C.C. ("red tail" boas) corn snakes, garter snakes, local tree frogs, anoles, and I got to help a local herpetologist out with his collection. That was about 20yrs ago back in Seattle however. How about you? Going by your name, I imagine you share my interest in viperidae?

Forgot, the forum is Geckos Unlimited

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Just saw the extra you added. I tried to mimic the vials they came home in, giving them a good amount to web on. I can definitely remove some things, probably will have to with so little substrate to keep anchor points in place.
Would cork that sits an inch or so below the lid be alright? I'm trying to keep one of them off the top so much. Each feeding it seems like he contemplates making a run for freedom.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just saw the extra you added. I tried to mimic the vials they came home in, giving them a good amount to web on. I can definitely remove some things, probably will have to with so little substrate to keep anchor points in place.
Would cork that sits an inch or so below the lid be alright? I'm trying to keep one of them off the top so much. Each feeding it seems like he contemplates making a run for freedom.
In deli cups it's hard to prevent Avics from living on the lid at times. Some do, some don't. I have 3 A. avics that formed homes behind the cork slabs I gave them, they are smaller. With a slab, IME you get one of 2 things, either they form a spiral tube from top to bottom like a Candy Cane stripe actually, or they form a canopy up top.

Trust me, either setup will be fine for them. Not something to sweat over ;)

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
In deli cups it's hard to prevent Avics from living on the lid at times. Some do, some don't. I have 3 A. avics that formed homes behind the cork slabs I gave them, they are smaller. With a slab, IME you get one of 2 things, either they form a spiral tube from top to bottom like a Candy Cane stripe actually, or they form a canopy up top.

Trust me, either setup will be fine for them. Not something to sweat over ;)
One of the Avics already made the tube you mentioned, though in the little vial it takes up a fair amount of space.
Definitely going to be waiting to move them, when I went to remove substrate, I found mold. So now the cups are getting a thorough cleaning and being left to dry for a few days before I even start the rebuild :bored:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Well, despite hearing the stuff about "it happens to us all" and such I wasn't prepared for this...
"Left" one of the A. geroldi slings is no longer with me. From the looks of it he didn't even make it through the molt I was so excited about. The vial was too small and so full of his little web that I couldn't even tell something was wrong when I gave him water yesterday...
This really sucks :bigtears: :(