Quickly addicted, plus questions.

cold blood

Staff member
I used to work for Fedex. That's all I need. :bag:

I've seen all the threads and data advocating it - to each their own, and not to say I'll never order through an online seller - I just have strong personal feelings on the matter. Fortunately I have a great LPS, and that's worked fine for me.
What's far more telling than what you saw, is the results of shipping....I bet its like 98% survival...maybe higher for experienced sellers.....meaning there's almost no risk in the shipping process to a properly packed t as long as you ship during halfway decent temps.

Heck, I have had 3 packages lost in the mail for a weekend or several days (in winter)...yet I still had a 100% survival rate in those instances....the results are what you should focus on, and the results are almost always good.

Whatever they do to the packages at fed ex, its obviously not enough to have an adverse effect on shipping success.

mistertim

Arachnobaron

I've seen all the threads and data advocating it - to each their own, and not to say I'll never order through an online seller - I just have strong personal feelings on the matter. Fortunately I have a great LPS, and that's worked fine for me.
Have to disagree on this. All of my tarantulas have been purchased from breeders online and I have never had a problem.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I know the majority of people on here both buy and sell Ts through postal services. I'm not judging your decisions at all, please don't misunderstand that. It is, like I said, just a matter of personal preference.
I also like being able to "meet" my Ts before I bring them home. There are several spp that I thought I wanted, only to see one in person and really not like it at all. The same way I wouldn't buy a new kitten online - I want to make sure it lives up to the image I have of it in my head before I commit to a living animal.

And again, not to say I'll never order online.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I love the fact that here in Eye-taly, FedEx, while present, doesn't work that much. We have Italian based couriers that, cheap as hell, offered always a 100% great service.

Lately, thanks to economic crysis, jumped out 'private' couriers (lol, like me or you driving a normal car) where you can ask to deliver them even a nuke, if well packed, like nothing :)

I want to see FedEx and other not Italian companies fail here in my nation :-s

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I love the fact that here in Eye-taly, FedEx, while present, doesn't work that much. We have Italian based couriers that, cheap as hell, offered always a 100% great service.

Lately, thanks to economic crysis, jumped out 'private' couriers (lol, like me or you driving a normal car) where you can ask to deliver them even a nuke, if well packed, like nothing :)
FedEx is less prominent here than UPS, but I can't imagine their treatment of parcels differs much.

cold blood

Staff member
I also like being able to "meet" my Ts before I bring them home. There are several spp that I thought I wanted, only to see one in person and really not like it at all. The same way I wouldn't buy a new kitten online - I want to make sure it lives up to the image I have of it in my head before I commit to a living animal.
Totally different than a kitten. You pick out a kitten based (most often) on individual personality when given the choice.....for ts, that's something you have to figure out, because even docile ts can change their tune when re-housed. There's also little variance between species, even ones that are sub-par look great after the next molt.

Any way, as Wally often said to "The Beaver"..."I'm just giving you the business".:D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
FedEx is less prominent here than UPS, but I can't imagine their treatment of parcels differs much.
Best is BRT courier, Italy. They were the nightmare (muahahah) of the cleaning Ladies of a George A. Romero 'zombie' shopping center where once I worked as armed security vigilante: they loved to piss, on purpose, on the floor instead of the WC during their noon eating pause :rofl:

"Christian... they keep pissing on the floor, Christ!" Muahahahahah :)

cold blood

Staff member
Things like this can happen: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/poor-timing-dead-spiders.291984/

I also had a DOA (ruptured abdomen) in January myself, on a normal overnight delivery from a reputable breeder. Shipping deaths do happen, and while the risk is slight, it's not zero.
You clearly mis-read my posto_O....I never ever once anywhere claimed it was zero deaths, I said the risk was minimal....big difference.

I said in the 3 particular instances I had delays I had 100% success....but I was clear about that being just those three personal instances.

I've shipped 100's and had literally 3 doa....just as many coming in and again, 3 DOA...that's not never, but its certainly not enough to cause alarm.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
You clearly mis-read my posto_O
This post? -----> "There's no fact or logic to support your wariness."

By saying there are no facts that could make a person cautious about shipping, you're implying that DOAs never happen. That is what I took issue with.

Also, while your DOA is at 3%, mine is at 20%. Would that amount bother you?

cold blood

Staff member
This post? -----> "There's no fact or logic to support your wariness."

By saying there are no facts that could make a person cautious about shipping, you're implying that DOAs never happen. That is what I took issue with.

Also, while your DOA is at 3%, mine is at 20%. Would that amount bother you?
20% makes no sense...who are you ordering from? That's awful and highly uncommon...Europeans have a better rate than that and their ts are typically in transit 4-10 days.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Arachnoiden and Fear No Ts shipped 5 slings to me. Both reputable breeders. Nothing was wrong with the packing in either box.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I think those of us in New England got the short end of the stick when it comes to receiving our shipments as we hope them to be. I personally have had multiple issues. Not with Ts but it still has made me uneasy about ordering online. Ultimately I just don't trust the local couriers regardless of the company they work for.
Personal preference is the best way to put it though.

I'm still getting used to the site and all its options, but I wanted to thank everyone for their insight and advice. Really looking forward to Monday now :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:banghead::banghead:

There's no fact or logic to support your wariness.

I wish he was as wary about owning an OW T as he is about ordering on-line.

I think if someone owns an OW T from the get go, they should be able to find any info they need on anything else.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone have experience with these that they could share? I've read that Avics in general are somewhat difficult to keep, what are these difficulties?
A few of us own A. geroldi, myself included. I strongly suggest you search the forum via Google for this information. People always ask about the challenges of keeping Avics, but they DO NOT take the time to learn this. How do I know this? Because this questions gets ask more times than Dumb Donald Trump lies to the American public, well almost.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
T's: all are females aside for two slings*

Megaphobema robustum
Brachypelma albopilosum
(very old)
Brachypelma vagans
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Pterinochilus murinus
Ceratogyrus marshalli
Ceratogyrus darlingi
Hysterocrates gigas
Pelinobius muticus
Grammostola pulchripes
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Ephebopus murinus
Grammostola rosea *
Brachypelma smithi *

Centipedes:

female Scolopendra subspinipes
unsexed Scolopendra subspinipes (one of Mommy's brats) living in the garden

In the past I had Asian T's of course (genus Chilobrachys, 'Haplos') and other NW intermediate (like P.cancerides etc)

I'm not an 'avic' man at all, nor too much arboreal in general, btw :-s

Also I love to trade when I have the chance... gave away recently a couple of Ceratogyrus slings and packed and shipped 24 S.subspinipes pedelings.
Do you see yourself expanding that collection again some day, @Chris LXXIX ?