Quick Reference guide to answer common questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi! Nice job!.. This thread is a great idea. Thanks for the effort!:)

PS. Have you considered adding links about breeding?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi! Nice job!.. This thread is a great idea. Thanks for the effort!:)

PS. Have you considered adding links about breeding?
My pleasure!

I considered breeding but then decided not to worry about it considering there is a forum dedicated to breeding, listed by species.

Also, I hope this thread will encourage people to use the search function before posting repeat threads.

--Joe

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You missed the deathcurl/ICU topic.;P

Good job compiling these. :worship: If this thread becomes popular, this forum might get a little quiet!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd like to try and figure out code here to link the table of contents to the post with the topic, to make it easier to navigate.

So right now I have:

Death curl/ICU
Search function tutorial

Any other suggestions? :) And please, if you know good care sheet threads, post them here or PM me and I'll add 'em to the proper post. Thanks!

--Joe

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just to throw a disclaimer out there, it seems the links to search results do not work; I will be giving a search tutorial on here in the next few days.

--Joe

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just to throw a disclaimer out there, it seems the links to search results do not work; I will be giving a search tutorial on here in the next few days.

--Joe
That's a bummer. :( Why would they stop working all of a sudden? :?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm actually not sure they ever did. I didn't check to make sure they worked when I posted them, I just ran the search, then copied and pasted the link.

I guess I could do some testing....

<test, test>

Ok, so it works the first time. I think if there are new posts that would turn up in the search, it nulls it out. But I honestly have no idea. Maybe a mod or someone else who has an idea can chime in?

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
The "search" links don't last for long because we *believe* that it clears the cache. It caches the search results and then releases it. Again, not 100% sure but this is what we think happens.

This will not happen with direct links, fyi. ;)

Debby

PS: This thread is now a sticky. Thanks for your hard work, it definitely shows. Kudos. :clap:

Oh and please no one post "thanks for making this a sticky". It is pointless and adds nothing and I definitely WILL remove them.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Search function turorial

Alright, here it is:

There are two ways to access the search tool. From the main page, you can access it in the toolbar directly below your login information (top right corner) and across the length of the site, horizontally:

To access from a sub-forum, it is located below the page select quick-links, on the right:

With either method, click it, and it opens a text box to insert search criteria:

You can type the criteria and click 'Go', and that's that. If you would rather do a more advanced search, click the 'Advanced Search' link.

Advanced searching

Here's the advanced menu:

If you are already in a subforum, it will highlight it and only search through there. To change the forum you would like to search, just scroll and click the proper forum.

To select whether you want to search all posts or only titles, use the drop-down box just below the keyword(s) text box:

And finally, if you are searching for multiple words and would like them all to appear in your search results (as opposed to only one or two of the words appearing), be sure to put quotes (" ") around the words. For example, if you are searching for 'pine bark', you will get results with the word 'pine' only and 'bark' unless you put it in quotes ("pine bark").

I hope this is helpful to everyone.

--Joe

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Joe, if you're still up for doing these, how's this for a subject:

Care and raising of slings

Requirements for different stages, feeding, when to move them, when humidity requirements aren't so strict, etc

Just an idea, its something I'm starting to search for myself

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just something I thought I'd add

Basic terms:
Arboreal. Tree dwelling tarantulas. These tarantulas need more height than floor space.
Terrestrial. Ground dwelling tarantulas. These tarantulas need more floorspace than height.
Oppurtunistic burrower. Another name for terrestrial tarantulas, which may or may not burrow depending on conditions and the individual tarantula. Floor space is more important than height.

Fossorial/Obligate burrower: A tarantula which will burrow in captivity. The tarantula doesn't really care if they have a horizontal or vertical oriented tank, as long as they have sufficient substrate to dig in. A vertical oriented tank is probably better because then you have a better chance of seeing them in their burrow.

Boardspeak legend:
OBT Orange Baboon Tarantula, latin Pterinochilus mammicatuus Aka "Orange Bitey Thing", and other less-pleasant acrononyms. A particularly hostile, defensive species, not for beginners

Pinktoemembers of the Avicularius genus, often, but not always Avicularius avicularius, "the common pinktoe"

Avic See above, same guys.

Pokie Members of the Poecilotheria genus, an Old-World arboreal genus. Known for being fast, defensive, large and particularly venomous. Not for beginners. Debateably, can be kept communally.

Rosie/rose the Chilean Rose, (technically, NOT "rosehair") Grammostola rosea a desert terrestial tarantula. Currently the hobby standard for new tarantula keepers. Docile, easy to keep, hardy. Also known as "pet rock" due to their extremely docile nature. Also known for being very variable in temperment and occassionally flipping out for no discernible reason.

Pet hole either a pejorative, or affectionate term for obligate burrowers, especially ones prone to not coming out much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.