Question to H. Lividum owners.

paolo_28

Arachnopeon
I'm planning on buying a H. Lividum however I read that their temp should be around 80-90F. The regular temp in my room is 70F. Would this temp be too low for H. lividum.

And if so...what should I do?

I really want to go for one, but i'm worried that the tepm of my room might hold me down.

Thanks Paolo.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep mine at room temps, and wouldn't even think about keep them at a raised temp. She seems to be very happy and content.

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The temperature in my room is too low as well. What I do is using a heating pad on the backwall of the cage. Brings the temp to about 85 degrees, works well and my lividum feels fine.
Hope that helps

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
It's about 72 in here, and so far mine is doing pretty well. The last Cobalt I had died from unknown causes, but I suspect it was during a temperature drop while I was out of town. I wouldn't let it get too much cooler than that, and you may wish to keep it in a container that isn't made out of glass, as glass surface seems to be a bit cooler, and all 3 Haplopelma I've had burrow along the glass side.

Bill

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i keep mine on about 78-80% humidity and about 28 degres c'
because this is a high umidity tarantula you might wanna put on peat moss to lower the chances of mold and pests

and some say that if youl provide them with a very deep substerate than it will run to its borrow rather then biting the hel out of your arm

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Basically, just don't let the temperature fall below 70 and the tarantula should be fine. Actually, mine had lived for a little while in around 65-8ish temperature before. I don't think she was very happy though.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had no trouble with temps as low as the mid-60s and as high as the high 80s.

Adrian

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep my house around the 70-ish + mark, cooler in the bedroom, but all my T's seem to be fine. They eat well, are active. And the cobalt will kill you. lol
dale

paolo_28

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone...PLS POST SOME PIX

I bought him/her today as well as a basking lamp with an infared 50 w bulb. so far the tepm as staying right at 80F.

However when I bought him, his/her abdoment seemed to be pretty small. Is that normal. My rose hair "ARTICUNO" has a very round/plumb bum.

PLS POST SOME PIX GUYS, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!:D

Thanks, Paolo

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Here's a few I've posted recently of my new addition..

And I know I've recycled this one a few times, but I love it:

Bill

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: Thanks everyone...PLS POST SOME PIX

Originally posted by paolo_28
I bought him/her today as well as a basking lamp with an infared 50 w bulb. so far the tepm as staying right at 80F.

However when I bought him, his/her abdoment seemed to be pretty small. Is that normal. My rose hair "ARTICUNO" has a very round/plumb bum.

PLS POST SOME PIX GUYS, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!:D

Thanks, Paolo
Also, I think the lamp is totally unnecessary.. watch out for dessication.

Bill

paolo_28

Arachnopeon
??? Heating pad???

If I were to go for a heating pad for a 10 gallon tank, where should it be placed. I know for snakes it goes underneath.

Now for my Cobalt..Do they get placed on the side?

Paolo:confused:

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
All my T's are kept at 71 degrees and they're eating a molting like crazy, so the room temp doesn't seem to be affecting them at all. Here's some pics of my lividum.

Question for the rest of ya'll with lividums.......do your web the walls up like mine did? Visible in the 2nd picture. It's right by her burrow.

Leanne

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Question for the rest of ya'll with lividums.......do your web the walls up like mine did?
'

yup.

No wander you like that pic, Bill...you're a brave goose. lol. Anyway, mine has been kept at about 65 and was not happy at all. It's about 72-78 F now, and she's doing fine. Mean as all hell, and as beautiful as can be. I think humidity is the most important thing, as they are very apt to dessication IME. Place the heating pad on the side or the back of the tank. I use a heat light, but I am 1). heating an entire closet 2). using a large bowl in the closet for some humidity 3). having huge humidity problems as it is. I wouldn't use lamps unless you can give a lot of care and close looks on your humidity level.

Marcus

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm going to have to agree with people and urge you to lose the lamp. It should be fine at room temperature, but if you want to be safe the heat pad on the side is a good idea.

This is all we ever see of our H.lividum:

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have some real H.lividum pics somewhere because I took pictures of her before putting her in her enclosure. I can't find them for the life of me, though, so I'll post this instead. This is the tub where we keep our H.lividum. The bottle shows the depth of the substrate, though we actualy added more at one point and it is now almost all the height in some places. She has burrowed straight down into the tub and spends most of her time on the bottom of it. Occasionaly we will catch a glimpse of her as she moves further up the burrow. Oh, and there is a lid, as we don't have her on the honour system.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I'd concur that 70 degrees F will do, although closer to 80 is better. And I've used heat lamps successfully for years, but would agree they require vigilant monitoring of heat and humidity. Here's a picture of one of my girls below.

Joy

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
And I know I've recycled this one a few times, but I love it:

Bill [/B]
That's o.k., keep recycling, although the jealousy grows each time!!;P My Azure would rip me apart if I tried that. Anyway, she's a beaut!

As far as temp goes, my thermostat is set to 72F, 24-7-365 and all my kids do just fine. Occasionally, I put one near the "heat lamp" (controlled to about 79F to 83F) and up the humidity if I sense a molt is near, and of course for ICU patients.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is my small, about 3/4" spiderling. This one is very fast, and doesn't like to burrow, or use the one I made him. He webs his entire container instead...

Dennis

Attachments