Question: How do you spell tarantula?

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, as I said, I use the incorrect word "tarantell" as well for convenience. In fact, most do, but it does not change the fact that it is incorrect. It´s just a very common mistake :p

You won´t find the word "fugleedderkopp" in the online version of the Dokpro dictionary. The reason is that only the words from the letter "i" to the letter "å" is completely available online. It´s a strange story. The University of Oslo pulled out of the project back in July 2015 and the 19 employees in charge of making the whole thing available on the internet got sacked. At that time the first four volumes were not yet made digital. Now The University of Bergen hosts the site, but no fresh work has been done. (https://www.tek.no/artikler/over-og-ut-for-norsk-ordbok-pa-nett/161815 )

If you search for "tarantell" on SNL (Store norske leksikon) or the Norwegian version of Wikipedia however, you will be led to the articles about "fugleedderkopper":

https://snl.no/tarantell

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugleedderkopper

Hahaha, yes, put two Norwegians in the same room (or in this case on the same forum) and they can´t even decide what the Norwegian word for Theraphosidae is :bag:
Yes!!! I do speak some Danish and I kept wondering if it's realy fugledderkop in Danish and if that word exist in Norwegian it will probably exist in Danish, too! Danish is a wonderful language, btw. My favorite word is 'hyggelig' which sounds exactly like what it means :p.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Yes!!! I do speak some Danish and I kept wondering if it's realy fugledderkop in Danish and if that word exist in Norwegian it will probably exist in Danish, too! Danish is a wonderful language, btw. My favorite word is 'hyggelig' which sounds exactly like what it means :p.
Yes, in Danish it's "fugleedderkop". The only difference is that it's spelled with one -p at the end. The word "hyggelig" (and "hygge") is the same. :) I'm not quite sure how to translate it to English, but it would be something of a mix between nice, cosy and pleasant.

If you know Danish you can read Norwegian as well! The pronunciation varies somewhat though.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Yes, in Danish it's "fugleedderkop". The only difference is that it's spelled with one -p at the end. The word "hyggelig" (and "hygge") is the same. :) I'm not quite sure how to translate it to English, but it would be something of a mix between nice, cosy and pleasant.

If you know Danish you can read Norwegian as well! The pronunciation varies somewhat though.
The pronunciation seems to vary a lot in Danish, too, like everyone of the 100+ islands seem to have it's own pronunciation. I've grown up with the Jylland pronunciation and if I go to Koebenhavn it is all wrong :(

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
The pronunciation seems to vary a lot in Danish, too, like everyone of the 100+ islands seem to have it's own pronunciation. I've grown up with the Jylland pronunciation and if I go to Koebenhavn it is all wrong :(
I don´t struggle so much with the Copenhagen-dialect, but those from the countryside of Fyn is next to impossible to understand. They speak really funny.

Oh, and since we´re discussing Danish and Norwegian, one of the causes of misunderstandings between Danes and Norwegians is the word "må". The question "må jeg bli med?" means "can I come too?" in Danish, but "do I have to come?" in Norwegian. A Danish exchange student told me that he was sitting with some Norwegian students at a pub and when they decided to go to some other pub he asked that. The response was "selvfølgelig må du ikke det", which means "of course you don´t have to" in Norwegian, but in Danish "of course you can´t" . Only later did he figure out that the Norwegians weren´t being rude to him, they just misunderstood each other :rofl:

boina

Lady of the mites
I don´t struggle so much with the Copenhagen-dialect, but those from the countryside of Fyn is next to impossible to understand. They speak really funny.

Oh, and since we´re discussing Danish and Norwegian, one of the causes of misunderstandings between Danes and Norwegians is the word "må". The question "må jeg bli med?" means "can I come too?" in Danish, but "do I have to come?" in Norwegian. A Danish exchange student told me that he was sitting with some Norwegian students at a pub and when they decided to go to some other pub he asked that. The response was "selvfølgelig må du ikke det", which means "of course you don´t have to" in Norwegian, but in Danish "of course you can´t" . Only later did he figure out that the Norwegians weren´t being rude to him, they just misunderstood each other :rofl:
:rofl:. That's VERY important to know if I ever go to Norway ;).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

It is said here in Friesland that Frisian is spoken/understood on some Danish isles. Maybe that Fyn island? :D