Purple Ts

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My boyfriend loves my pink toes, and has been tossing around the idea of getting a tarantula of his own. Purple being his favorite color, it would make him happier than a little kid at christmas to find a purple tarantula.

He loves the look of the purple pink toe but they can be a bit more expensive and I've heard a lot about avic slings randomly dying, and I want something he'll have good chances with. I think the best bet would be a hatian brown, Phormictopus cancerides, but I've seen pictures where they are a beautiful purple, and some are just brown. Are the chances good that if gotten from a sling it would turn out to be a 'prettier' one? He definitely wants to raise it from a baby.

Anything else you could suggest? I'm not sure if theres anything else with a purple tint to it. He's a big perfectionist and anal about getting things right so I'm not worried about him being a beginner, once he makes up his mind and does his research he'll be ready for just about anything. The main concerns here are price and purpliness {D

And this isn't something that's probably going to happen too soon, but I wanted to get some input :D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My boyfriend loves my pink toes, and has been tossing around the idea of getting a tarantula of his own. Purple being his favorite color, it would make him happier than a little kid at christmas to find a purple tarantula.

He loves the look of the purple pink toe but they can be a bit more expensive and I've heard a lot about avic slings randomly dying, and I want something he'll have good chances with. I think the best bet would be a hatian brown, Phormictopus cancerides, but I've seen pictures where they are a beautiful purple, and some are just brown. Are the chances good that if gotten from a sling it would turn out to be a 'prettier' one? He definitely wants to raise it from a baby.

Anything else you could suggest? I'm not sure if theres anything else with a purple tint to it. He's a big perfectionist and anal about getting things right so I'm not worried about him being a beginner, once he makes up his mind and does his research he'll be ready for just about anything. The main concerns here are price and purpliness {D

And this isn't something that's probably going to happen too soon, but I wanted to get some input :D
Coreocnemis sp. "Malaysian Purple Femur"

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Coreocnemis sp. I agree 100%, I had one a few years back and traded it, one of my regrets as far as trades goes. Very attractive and not as steep in price as the A. purpurea.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I did some quick searching and that does seem to be quite a pretty spider, though not that common. How much would one of those generally cost?

And again, it seems they can either have the beautiful hues or end up just a dull brown. Guess that's just a chance we'll have to take, huh.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno, you can get some nice purple hues on the legs of a A. versicolor. They aren't steep in price compared to the A. purpurea.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I think the best bet would be a hatian brown, Phormictopus cancerides, but I've seen pictures where they are a beautiful purple, and some are just brown.
The mature males turn a brilliant electric purple/pink. The females tend to brown out , but are pretty after a molt. Unless you're looking to breed, a female is more desirable.

The slings are blue{D

later, Tom

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, yeah, the tarantula in that pic would be perrrrrrfect! Such a beauty.

How's the temperment? Something that could be handled at all? Not with regularity of course but I know my boyfriend kind of wants something that can crawl on him a bit, hehe. Even if not though, still the best candidate so far I think.

Dustin

Arachnopeon
they are pretty aggressive and get pretty big aswell

i think A. versicolor would be the best bet

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm yeah the versi is nice, kinda pinkish though. I've gotta see if he has any preference between arboreal and terrestrial. Either the avic purpurea or versi might gain favor since they could be handled but I dunno, something giant and deep purple is pretty awesome! But part of that preference on my part is that I'm looking into getting a big terrestrial T for myself, hehe.

Having two avics of my own I would kind of know what to expect as far as webbing and hiding, but as far as the P. Cancerides, is it something that would be out in the open a lot?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How's the temperment? Something that could be handled at all? Not with regularity of course but I know my boyfriend kind of wants something that can crawl on him a bit, hehe. Even if not though, still the best candidate so far I think.
This what happens if you try to handle it

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The odds of you getting an adult female P. cancerides to grow to look like that aren't all that good, its rather rare. While the slings and juvies are quite colorful, and mature males are a really cool purple, females are more brown (but still quite attractive IMO).

Phormictopus picture thread - http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=20127

-Sean

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. cancerides tends to be a bit of a gamble if you're looking for color. do you think i'm lucky?

Rob :D

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with smokin' boas. Go with a Tapinauchenius purpureus. I have a few myself but they are still slings.

Here is a beautiful young female taken in natural light that belongs to GoTerps.

JenNJay

Arachnopeon
Pamphobeteus Sp. Purple Bloom

You might also want to check out the Pamphobeteus Sp. Purple Bloom. These are an absolutely beautiful species. I don't have any personal pic's of mine yet as she hasn't started showing her real beauty yet but here is a link to one. :)

http://www.tarantulaspiders.com/images/gallery/pinsignis(m){kk}.jpg

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Colour Listings?

All this makes me raise an interesting possibility...

What about we start a list of Tarantulas, listed by colour?

If people think this is a good idea, maybe I'll launch a set of discussions with colours as topics. We can list the Tarantulas we've known to fit with that colour.

I have not yet searched for these threads, so if they exist, forgive my ignorance.

Interior decorating with tarantulas... interesting concept. :?