Psalmopoeus visibility

MainMann

Arachnosquire
My P. Cambridgei is a reclusive mofo. I see her after she molts and us hungry and she come out at night. I will spot her when she is hunting but once she takes the prey it back in the web tube. Once in premolt I will not see her for weeks. She/he is a juvenile but I hear they come out more when larger. I want an irminia next. Those colors on them are amazing.
Ah i see, i think all of the members of psalmopoeus genus have really cool coloring! Do you think for their behavior it boils down more to individual temperaments/habits, or are some species (such as P cambridgei) more inclined to be out and about?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
P. irminia - months go by without seeing her - I plan on buying slings in hope getting a more visible one
P. pulcher 3 of my 4 are out more often than not, the 4th (female) is out about 50% of the time
P. victori mostly out.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
P. irminia -Pretty much stays hidden but occasionally I see her out early in the morning, especially after a molt when she is really hungry.
P. cambridgei- I see her quite a bit hanging out in the opening of her cork tube and occasionally on the side of it but if she sees me she's gone. Very nervous.
P. reduncus- Stays out about 75% of the time.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
The Psalmopoeus pulcher and Psalmopoeus cambridgei in the collection tend to be pretty visible most of the time. Psalmopoeus reduncus and the Psalmopoeus irminia I don't tend to see unless it's early am and dim/dark at all unless mighty hungry, though to be fair with the P. reduncus it's just how it webbed up its enclosure; they're nowhere near as easily spooked as few P. irminia when it comes to movement around them.

Sadly no other Psalmopoeus species to offer anecdotes on (yet); really interested in more, I have a bit of envy for the folks with P. victori and the like, but realistic budgeting, and usually end up snagging Poecies before Psalmopoeus at the moment.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
P. irminia - months go by without seeing her - I plan on buying slings in hope getting a more visible one
P. pulcher 3 of my 4 are out more often than not, the 4th (female) is out about 50% of the time
P. victori mostly out.
P victori is soooo expensive here! Still considering pulcher/cambridgei!

Thank you, Maman

"Maman" means "mum" in French, it feels like reading an email from my mum everytime I read your posts haha...

Sorry that was just on a side note, enjoy your future Psalmopoeus! ;)
:) :) hope it brings joy haha!

The Psalmopoeus pulcher and Psalmopoeus cambridgei in the collection tend to be pretty visible most of the time. Psalmopoeus reduncus and the Psalmopoeus irminia I don't tend to see unless it's early am and dim/dark at all unless mighty hungry, though to be fair with the P. reduncus it's just how it webbed up its enclosure; they're nowhere near as easily spooked as few P. irminia when it comes to movement around them.

Sadly no other Psalmopoeus species to offer anecdotes on (yet); really interested in more, I have a bit of envy for the folks with P. victori and the like, but realistic budgeting, and usually end up snagging Poecies before Psalmopoeus at the moment.
I see i see. Another +1 for a pulcher/cambridgei!

Thank you, Maman

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
My irminia is very reclusive. When she was settling in to her enclosure she was out a bit, but after a couple of weeks she got settled and hasn't been seen a great deal since.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
My irminia is very reclusive. When she was settling in to her enclosure she was out a bit, but after a couple of weeks she got settled and hasn't been seen a great deal since.
Yup, sounds like typical irminia behavior! I'm looking for a display spider like my regalis which is thankfully almost always visible when night hits!

Thank you, Maman

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
While I understand it's great to have a T that's visible all the time, I must say I far more enjoy the members of my collection that almost never appear. I find alot of the rarer ones only come out occasionally, and it makes the few times I see them mean far more to me then let's say the angry but cool Selenotholus Kotzman who's out pretty much every night. Not to imply I don't like the active ones or anything, but I honestly wouldn't mind an Irminia even if it meant I'd only get to see those absolutely stunning colours once a month or so. I guess I'm just quality of quantity person :p

buzz182

Arachnosquire
I have had my P. irminia for around 12 months in this time I have seen it a total of three times.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have had my P. irminia for around 12 months in this time I have seen it a total of three times.
My juvenile just sits right outside of her web curtain, waiting to attack anything that gets too close.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
My P. regalis was always out - until I rehoused her. Now I see her once every couple of months. Pokies can be quirky too.
Oh i see, have only rehoused mine once! Hopefully it'll stay on it's visibility streak :)

While I understand it's great to have a T that's visible all the time, I must say I far more enjoy the members of my collection that almost never appear. I find alot of the rarer ones only come out occasionally, and it makes the few times I see them mean far more to me then let's say the angry but cool Selenotholus Kotzman who's out pretty much every night. Not to imply I don't like the active ones or anything, but I honestly wouldn't mind an Irminia even if it meant I'd only get to see those absolutely stunning colours once a month or so. I guess I'm just quality of quantity person :p
Ah i see! I have a veeeeeeryyy reclusive darlingi and I've only seen her twice after she settled into her new home! And it really gives you a thrill to see those shy Ts :) but the reason i want visible species is because i have a very limited amount of space, and would love to have/see as much action as possible! But that's just my opinion and i know what you're talkin bout the specialty of those recluses :)

Now that's a great reference! :eek: would be like having a display of web and dirt yes

Last edited by a moderator: