Psalmopoeus visibility

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Hello all! So i am very interested in owning a Psalmopoeus, and after reading and asking intensively I've came to the conclusion that i will be picking up either a cambridgei or a pulcher. The reason for that is mostly because of the visibilty. Because I've heard (and seen my friend's) irminias tend to be much more reclusive, and i really love the greens and the yellows of cambridgeis/pulchers. So I'm asking yalls who've kept psalmo, which is the most visible species?

Thank you! Maman

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Both my cambridgeis and pulchers are out a lot. If I had to pick I think I see the pulchers more though. You can’t go wrong either way though so just pick the one you think looks cooler. They are both awesome!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It varies from specimen to specimen, but here's my experience with my 3 the P. cambridgei. All three are different from one another, one actually comes out a lot and he's chill. My second one is a female and switches between reclusive and outgoing, but also skittish in a sense. My third one is a ghost and I don't see him much but only at night or early mornings before sunrise.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Both my cambridgeis and pulchers are out a lot. If I had to pick I think I see the pulchers more though. You can’t go wrong either way though so just pick the one you think looks cooler. They are both awesome!
I see! They really are some really cool looking spiders, and I'm starting to lean towards cambridgei for their absolutely awesome looking green!

Thank you, Maman

It varies from specimen to specimen, but here's my experience with my 3 the P. cambridgei. All three are different from one another, one actually comes out a lot and he's chill. My second one is a female and switches between reclusive and outgoing, but also skittish in a sense. My third one is a ghost and I don't see him much but only at night or early mornings before sunrise.
Yeap just as it seems, individual behaviors play a big part. I guess I'll just have to leave it to chance and pray for the best, but after hearing more stories, I'm optimistic about getting a P cam that's more out and about!

Thank you, Maman

Last edited by a moderator:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
So far I have three: all three are slings.

• Psalmopoeus irminia
• Psalmopoeus victori
• Psalmopoeus cambridgei

All three love to make dirt curtain, and dwell in it, but out of the three, P. cambridgei seems to be out more often the other two.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
My P. Irminia is out quite often. As a juvenile she was very reclusive but as time passed she’s become more active outside her dirt curtain.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Both my pulcher and cambridgei females are pretty reclusive, but neither is full grown yet. Many species will become more visible as they grow larger.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
My P. Irminia is out quite often. As a juvenile she was very reclusive but as time passed she’s become more active outside her dirt curtain.
The frequency of people that have visibile/active irminias seem to be less than the frequency of visible pulchers/cams it seems. But I'd be absolutely stoked to have an irminia that can actually be seen more than once a month! :)

Thank you, Maman

Both my pulcher and cambridgei females are pretty reclusive, but neither is full grown yet. Many species will become more visible as they grow larger.
Ah i see, I'm gravitating towards a cambridgei or a pulcher because my friend's female irminia is almost full grown but is still invisible :(

Thank you! Maman

So far I have three: all three are slings.

• Psalmopoeus irminia
• Psalmopoeus victori
• Psalmopoeus cambridgei

All three love to make dirt curtain, and dwell in it, but out of the three, P. cambridgei seems to be out more often the other two.
Another point for the P cam! If they aren't as rare as they are i would've already got one :p

Thank you! Maman

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Out of the species I keep/have kept (starting from most visible to least visible):

P. irminia (she's out every morning and evening unless she's in pre-moult)
P. pulcher (male was out a lot, female isn't out quite as much but still pretty visible)
P. ecclesiasticus (pops out fairly regularly)
P. langenbucheri (visible now and again)
P. victori (visible now and again)
P. cambridgei (saw my male about 6 times over the space of a year including unboxing and shipping off as an MM, I did cave and get a sling which is now a juvie and that's currently a pet web, hopefully this one doesn't make my L. nigerrimum look sociable as well)

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Out of the species I keep/have kept (starting from most visible to least visible):

P. irminia (she's out every morning and evening unless she's in pre-moult)
P. pulcher (male was out a lot, female isn't out quite as much but still pretty visible)
P. ecclesiasticus (pops out fairly regularly)
P. langenbucheri (visible now and again)
P. victori (visible now and again)
P. cambridgei (saw my male about 6 times over the space of a year including unboxing and shipping off as an MM, I did cave and get a sling which is now a juvie and that's currently a pet web, hopefully this one doesn't make my L. nigerrimum look sociable as well)
Oh wow really? Another example of a visible irminia! I guess it boils down to individual temperament more than i previously thought.

Thank you, Maman

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve raised three irminias and they were all out a fair amount. Never owned any other psalmos so can’t speak for the others, but irminia might be worth a thought too

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I’ve raised three irminias and they were all out a fair amount. Never owned any other psalmos so can’t speak for the others, but irminia might be worth a thought too
Darn it, now I'm starting to reaallly reconsider because i have a guy that's selling irminias for real cheap, but from his track record, the slings mom was fairly reclusive, could this be a determining factor if they'll be out and about or shy?

MainMann

Arachnosquire
There are always exceptions, but generally speaking, irminia tends to be the most reclusive in the genus, while cams tend to be the least reclusive....pulcher are somewhere in between.
I see, it's a shame P cams are rarer here than irminias. I guess I'll still have to wait out till i can find one that's for sale!

Thank you, Maman

Hunter Pitingolo

Arachnopeon
I have p iriminia and p Cambridgei they're both around the 4 inch Mark but when they're not in premolt I see them both out and about multiple times a week. The iriminia seems to enjoy coming out after a good misting at night but the Cambridgei only comes out in the early morning hours so like 4-8 am I would honestly pick up both

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I have p iriminia and p Cambridgei they're both around the 4 inch Mark but when they're not in premolt I see them both out and about multiple times a week. The iriminia seems to enjoy coming out after a good misting at night but the Cambridgei only comes out in the early morning hours so like 4-8 am I would honestly pick up both
I'd love to be able to pick up both, but i have very limited space and budget :( thank you for the answer! Will definitely be added to my references :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Oh wow really? Another example of a visible irminia! I guess it boils down to individual temperament more than i previously thought.
They're not as reclusive as people like to make out they are, there are plenty of people with visible irminia. Likewise, I know of plenty of people who have or have had reclusive cams.

I also know of plenty of people with defensive B. hamorii specimens before someone trots out that bloody excuse to claim that all of my tarantulas are broken :rolleyes:

MainMann

Arachnosquire
They're not as reclusive as people like to make out they are, there are plenty of people with visible irminia. Likewise, I know of plenty of people who have or have had reclusive cams.

I also know of plenty of people with defensive B. hamorii specimens before someone trots out that bloody excuse to claim that all of my tarantulas are broken :rolleyes:
Wow so individual differences play a bigger part than i previously thought!

Dman

Arachnosquire
My P. Cambridgei is a reclusive mofo. I see her after she molts and us hungry and she come out at night. I will spot her when she is hunting but once she takes the prey it back in the web tube. Once in premolt I will not see her for weeks. She/he is a juvenile but I hear they come out more when larger. I want an irminia next. Those colors on them are amazing.