Pros and cons of popular tarantula YouTubers?

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
While I do have a YouTube account, I don't have any videos as of yet. Once things start rolling though, I'll easily be lumped in the minute group that forms #3. Definitely don't have any gear to sell and wouldn't be in it for the views and popularity. When I do, expect a very simple channel like Basin79's. It'll be a mixture of education and "entertainment", but not to the expense of my pets' wellbeing and will definitely not make a fool of myself. Here's hoping I get something done before the first half of the year.

For the record, aside Basin79, there's also Tom Moran and Jon3800 that I follow almost religiously, along with lovetarantulas (Andrew Smith's channel) to see tarantulas in their natural habitat. And then, if I want pure entertainment, I'll flock (See what I did there ? ;)) to Mr. Max T.V. :)
I feel sorry for snoopy:(

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feel sorry for snoopy:(
Ha ha, it's not his business with Snoopy that entertains me, tho the aftermath is always fun with the bunch of excited "Hi !" and chirping/flapping/squeaking brings a smile to my face every single time. It's the "imaginary" arguments between Dan and Max that has me almost rolling on the floor, laughing.

I swear, Max couldn't end up with a better caretaker than Dan. He, unlike MANY cockatoo owners did his research, so he knew what he was getting into and you can clearly see that he's 100% dedicated to his well-being. Sure, there are others such as Gotcha, Pebble, Harley and Onni that have wonderful owners, but I personally feel that Max is the most entertaining of the flock.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
@LucN I may be biased but I like Pebble the best. Being born and raised there its funny to see that vid where they are walking around the city and I can pinpoint locations and whatnot. Plus Pebble just talks like the rest of us that lives/lived there. Mouth like a sailor ya know ;)

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ha ha, it's not his business with Snoopy that entertains me, tho the aftermath is always fun with the bunch of excited "Hi !" and chirping/flapping/squeaking brings a smile to my face every single time. It's the "imaginary" arguments between Dan and Max that has me almost rolling on the floor, laughing.

I swear, Max couldn't end up with a better caretaker than Dan. He, unlike MANY cockatoo owners did his research, so he knew what he was getting into and you can clearly see that he's 100% dedicated to his well-being. Sure, there are others such as Gotcha, Pebble, Harley and Onni that have wonderful owners, but I personally feel that Max is the most entertaining of the flock.
Dan was originally only looking after Max for his friend.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Dan was originally only looking after Max for his friend.
True! Then he cut a deal to acquire Max as the friend's husbandry wasn't up to snuff. Can't help but think the constant circling is some kind of ocd or something. Never kept birds but I know they can be bad with things like plucking.

basin79

ArachnoGod
True! Then he cut a deal to acquire Max as the friend's husbandry wasn't up to snuff. Can't help but think the constant circling is some kind of ocd or something. Never kept birds but I know they can be bad with things like plucking.
I think they all have their "ticks". Not sure if it's a calming thing for them. Pandora (my Senegal) bobs her head up and down and then turns it to the side really quick.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, initially. But before "rescuing" Max from his friend, he made the necessary research to understand how they act and all. He knows when Max is trying to be dominant and effectively puts him in his place... gently. And we can see that he learnt to have his feet off the ground when Max is playing on the floor and getting excited ;) He owned him for over 10 years, now ? So he likely knows most, if not all of Max's little quirks.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I’m with @basin79 on unboxing. There is absolutely no need for video footage of someone opening a box. Uninteresting filler.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
I think there are a lot of decent keepers on YouTube. There are also a lot of bad keepers and they all make mistakes. I make mistakes. Most of you on here make mistakes and if you think you don’t you aren’t being honest with yourself or anyone else here.
I think it is wrong and counter productive to assume people’s motives or intent for starting a YouTube channel based on your opinion of them. People like Tom Moran and petko got me into the hobby and I respect them. Hey have their way of doing things and I have mine and we can all nitpick at the “ideal” husbandry or practices all we want. At the end of the day putting people on blast for doing things differently than a lot of you do is counter productive, it breeds the idea of this place being full of elitist and it turns people off to a rewarding hobby and a board that has some of the best information available on tarantulas.

just my 0.02$

Ron Fults

Arachnopeon
I faithfully watch Tom Moran and The Tarantula Collective. I have found them a good source of information and they do interact with their viewers.
I watch The Dark Den for entertainment.
Yes I watch a lot of YouTube. I mostly watch at work to have something to do. I have a job with a lot of downtime, so it helps occupy my time.
I quit watching Exotics Lair because he is just basically harassing his animals and I don't care for that.
Tarantula Kat IMO gives the impression she is knowledgeable and she is not. She is a newer keeper herself and has little real knowledge of the hobby. I don't consider myself to be all that knowledgeable either, but I'm not portraying myself to be either.
Honestly if it weren't for YouTube I probably would never have gotten in the hobby. But I'm glad I did. I really enjoy learning about my spiders and seeing them grow. But I try to keep a very hands off approach. Meaning I don't handle any of them. I know they don't want to be handled. So I don't. Besides feeding and watering, rehousing and enclosure maintenance I do not engage with them.
I merely observe and enjoy.
Just my two cents.

magneto

Arachnoknight
This video showed up in my recomended list on youtube today.

I have never seen videos from this guy before and the title and the overdramatic buildup and music was just anoying to begin with but I have to say that the guy's pure enthusiasm and passion for the hobby grew on me and I ended up grinning like an idiot for the second half of the video. Genuine passion, good showmanship and correct, if a touch dramatic, information given about the T

Taysha

Arachnosquire
Hey guys, I’ve read through some of the comments but was curious. My friend who is terrified of spiders recently mentioned watching Exotics lair. Is there a better channel I could recommend specifically for someone who has a fear of them? I don’t want someone hyping her up and making her fear worse. She hopes to get over her fear one day and be able to keep a tarantula herself.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, I’ve read through some of the comments but was curious. My friend who is terrified of spiders recently mentioned watching Exotics lair. Is there a better channel I could recommend specifically for someone who has a fear of them? I don’t want someone hyping her up and making her fear worse. She hopes to get over her fear one day and be able to keep a tarantula herself.
Tom Moran (Toms big spiders) or The Tarantula Collective

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
Tom Moran (Toms big spiders) or The Tarantula Collective
TC after last weeks video? Not a vid for someone scared of spiders to watch...
Was fairly surprised to see such a click bait title from him as I really enjoy the quality of his vids and he comes across as cool dude.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
TC after last weeks video? Not a vid for someone scared of spiders to watch...
Was fairly surprised to see such a click bait title from him as I really enjoy the quality of his vids and he comes across as cool dude.
I agree, I was a little surprised too. But he’s also human and his work as a whole is pretty informative.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Tarantula Haven isn't mentioned enough here. Love this guy. Fresh new video out after a little break he took, with awesome footage of an upright molt:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I faithfully watch Tom Moran and The Tarantula Collective. I have found them a good source of information and they do interact with their viewers.
I watch The Dark Den for entertainment.
Yes I watch a lot of YouTube. I mostly watch at work to have something to do. I have a job with a lot of downtime, so it helps occupy my time.
I quit watching Exotics Lair because he is just basically harassing his animals and I don't care for that.
Tarantula Kat IMO gives the impression she is knowledgeable and she is not. She is a newer keeper herself and has little real knowledge of the hobby. I don't consider myself to be all that knowledgeable either, but I'm not portraying myself to be either.
Honestly if it weren't for YouTube I probably would never have gotten in the hobby. But I'm glad I did. I really enjoy learning about my spiders and seeing them grow. But I try to keep a very hands off approach. Meaning I don't handle any of them. I know they don't want to be handled. So I don't. Besides feeding and watering, rehousing and enclosure maintenance I do not engage with them.
I merely observe and enjoy.
Just my two cents.
I agree about the Tarantula Kat assessment. I unsubscribed from her channel for just that reason. She also came on this forum for about a day, was sort of snarky, and then left.

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
When I first pondered the idea of getting my first T, I binge watched the Dark Den's videos to get an idea of caring for them (water dish sizes, substrate moisture and enclosure types). I stumbled upon Exotics Layer and only found myself watching those videos for the cringe factor and to learn the "do not's" of the hobby. I feel like watching and observing your T's behavior is truly what you will use to refine your skills in the hobby.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’m not an experienced keeper by any means but what I find hard about all the different YouTubers is the wide array of scientific name pronunciations. I come from a background in horticulture and entomology and had to learn the way to pronounce names in Latin and they vary a lot on how each different person either correctly or incorrectly pronounces genus and species names.