Pros and cons of popular tarantula YouTubers?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm guilty of shaky videos. NOT UNBOXING. I don't do unboxing videos. I don't like the restrictions of a tripod. I like to move around. I will absolutely admit though my vids aren't in anyway "professional". It's a case of you get what you get.
Yours are usually not too shaky for me to watch.

It's the ones that look like they were filmed in the left hand of someone with Parskinson's that I can't watch without getting sick.

Oddly enough, I have seen a lot of movies and TV shows using unstable handheld cameras even though they clearly have access to high-quality equipment and a professional camera crew. I think someone in art school thinks the handheld camera makes the scene look more dynamic (and maybe less scripted in the case of fake reality TV shows).

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Haha I was talking about OBT specifically, since they’re famous for aggression. P. irminia do well with just a little corner cork or a cork spire they can make a web tunnel with. My gripe is youtubers don’t utilize a simple fix for their OBT’s general insecurity because it isn’t entertaining. You can’t open the enclosure and get a threat posture from a bright orange tarantula lol if the tarantula can just turn tail and hide
Nova is busy In pre molt

Last edited by a moderator:

Vorax29

Arachnopeon
I personaly watch youtube videos of tarantulas in the wild.
My favourite is https://www.youtube.com/user/Tarantupedia .
As other people mentioned it, I confirm BirdspiderCH is also very very cool ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbHE3xBkA2j5bMvtnI_46AA )
World of spiders have FANTASTIC wild videos too ( https://www.youtube.com/user/kumalo77 )
And no one mentioned the GREAT BugsNstuff channel with tarantulas found in their natural habitat (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH6vuQ-7bXM0ZeAklsF31mQ )

I can recommand this polish youtube channel where you can find tutorials to build 100% natural enclosures for various species (they give the names of the plants too!) :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZufaGb1mbfQ0Wzpdp6Ozg/videos

About the "entertainment" videos, I've discovered "Tarantula Kat"'s channel 2 days ago and I must admit I absolutely don't like these kind of youtube channels... I have nothing against the "newbies", but I'm often irritated by these newbies giving their opinion like it was an universal truth... They buy the most tarantulas they can, they review everything, they handle as much as they can, but most important, they keep their animals in very very poor conditions...
I like Dark Den's videos because he shows the bad things that can happen, not only the funny parts of the hobby.
Tom's big spiders is also a nice channel, more "serious" than the others.

Rudeman88

Arachnopeon
Richard from "The Tarantula Collective" is great to! I didn't see anyone mention him at all. He's a more "entertaining" version of Tom Moran (zero hate on Tom he's amazing). I watch Tom Moran and The Tarantula Collective for information and how to videos. While I watch Petko purely for entertainment and just always hearing the same rhetoric on how genuine of a person he seems to be. I think it's all on the maturity of the person knowing that Youtubers are people, they make mistakes and aren't always right. I definitely check everything I'm learning so when I do order my first T this year my mistakes are minimal so I can be the best Spider Dad I can be!

W1CK3DWest

Arachnopeon
Richard from "The Tarantula Collective" is great to! I didn't see anyone mention him at all.
It's nice to see someone mention him. He's the first channel I came across and I really liked the positive energy and his professionalism. I'm barely getting started with this hobby and came to this thread to see if any of these YouTubers could be considered well informed and proper caretakers of their T's. I want to make sure I take care of my little T the best I can as a beginner.
This thread has given me a lot of insight on what to be careful for!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The Dark Den is still the best one imo, but it still bugs me how irresponsible he is about pairings since he's always trying to get a good shot of the action instead of having his hands ready to prevent the T's getting hurt.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
I was just browsing YouTube and because I regularly watch T related content, I always have folks like Exotics Lair, The Dark Den etc. show up on my suggested and it made me think — I’ve watched content like theirs and they have some problematic husbandry advice or none at all (side-eyeing Exotics Lair) BUT I do think that influencers like them have helped people see tarantulas and keeping them in a “different” or more positive way, if nothing else. Exposure itself is important. I’m not a fan of click bait video titles and the drama and whatever else but sometimes a little campiness can soften people’s views.

Of course, entertainment focused YouTubers like these shouldn’t be seen as 100% knowledgeable (side-eyeing The Dark Den for his pairing mistakes) BUT all the same — thoughts on folks like these and the pros and cons of their influence within the hobby?
I, for one, got into the hobby watching these guys on YouTube. Since I was a kid tarantulas had always freaked me out and watching guys like ExoticsLair helped me not just overcome my fear but also be comfortable enough to start my own collection. Fast forward to today and I can see why these guys can come off as glamorizing more the heart racing side off the hobby than the husbandry and care for them. There are exceptions, two that come to mind right away are Toms Big Spiders and the_tarantula_collective. Both of them seem to center just about everything they put on YouTube around the right way to take care of them safely, not just for yourself but for your spider as well. I think that probably the worst thing that can come from a YouTube personality is handling OW’s carelessly on camera and someone just starting out thinking it’s TOTALLY fine to let an obt walk up your arm. I think it’s great what these guys are doing as long as beginners can sift through what’s smart and responsible and what’s not.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
I remember some time ago Jon3800 was like the top youtuber. This was like 10 years ago lol. Its weird to come back to the hobby and see much more high quality content being put out. Great cameras, lightning and production etc....

WaightZer

Arachnopeon
During the late 90's in my late teenage years, i was so fascinated with bugs and especially ants, I could sit infront of ant mound and watch their small interesting activities all day long. Then, my interest branched out into spiders (even though they scared the crap out of me). Later I migrated to another country where it was illegal to keep spiders (tarantulas) and scorpions pets. I wanted to keep Trapdoors and Huntsman spiders. I could only watched videos, read about spiders and tarantulas. Decades later, back in my home country and my interest in bugs has faded.
Until a few months ago, out of nowhere, Petko's random video popped out in my youtube recommendations. After slowly watching his videos one after another, I'm hooked. My long lost hobby has surfaced again. Then I found out about, EL, Tom Moran, Tkat, Antscanada and so on. Forgot to mention my wife is an extreme arachnophobic, she literally could squeal and jump just by seeing a Trapdoor or tarantula photo. But now? she can sit beside me and watch The dark den with a grin on her face. Long story shot, I got a green light from her to keep a pet spider. So, last month I bought my first Brachypelma Vagans sling. And then I kept a huntsman spider I found at my mom's kitchen. And then I bought a Nhandu Chromatus sling.
The dark den video has reignited the love of spiders in me and ease the arachnophobia of my wife. I can say his videos are fun to see and very entertaining. I sometimes watch Tom Moran, EL, Tkat, Basin79, Tarantula Haven videos too. But when I decided to get a T myself, I did my homework hard to dig up all
information I could get by reading articles, notes, searching and viewing videos. Its like seeing a flashy Martial art movie and getting oneself into practicing, training art of hand to hand combat is two different things. I just enjoy the videos, learn what I can from them and avoid some flashy things like handling a nervous cobalt blue.
So, kudos to all channels I mentioned above especially Petko to spark my fascination with tarantulas.

Uial

Arachnosquire
I frequently recommend people watch Tom Moran if they want to know more about T's. I do watch him and The Tarantula Collective for information. I watch The Dark Den and Exotics Lair for the Drama and all the hectic something is happening at all time either pairing or feeding or whatever vids. I also like Tarantula Haven, he seems down to earth and calm. Most other T YouTubers are so blatantly doing everything wrong that I can't really watch it.

But I came into the hobby because of these videos, I didn't think keeping T's was an option before. I also didn't learn a ton of wrong information because I basically only keep NW terrestrials. They are pretty basic in care, so not many people screw their husbandry up, like people sometimes do with fossorials or arboreals. Then again I recently met someone who keeps their T's on gravel. So...

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think my youtube channel is absolut the best. Especially the picture and soundquality. I think its the best on youtube! (Sarcastic):angelic:

StampFan

Arachnodemon
There appear to be 3 types of YouTubers with tarantulas -- 1) those who are looking to promote products, sell merchandise, etc. 2) those looking to make $ off of YouTube views and viewers, 3) pure hobbiests.

@Tomoran will always be the best as he has no ulterior motives other than enjoying his hobby. Same with @basin79. @birdspidersCH is an unbelievable wealth of academic arachnid knowledge and needs more support and views so he keeps doing this. No weird clickbait thumbnails for any of those 3.

basin79

ArachnoGod
There appear to be 3 types of YouTubers with tarantulas -- 1) those who are looking to promote products, sell merchandise, etc. 2) those looking to make $ off of YouTube views and viewers, 3) pure hobbiests.

@Tomoran will always be the best as he has no ulterior motives other than enjoying his hobby. Same with @basin79. @birdspidersCH is an unbelievable wealth of academic arachnid knowledge and needs more support and views so he keeps doing this. No weird clickbait thumbnails for any of those 3.
Tom is still the best for me. No nonsense and actually provides loads of helpful information. Like you typed doesn't use click bait titles either. It's criminal he doesn't have thousands more subs but sadly doing things right seems to do that.

I really hope Tom's channel blows up massively as it can only be a good thing.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

While I do have a YouTube account, I don't have any videos as of yet. Once things start rolling though, I'll easily be lumped in the minute group that forms #3. Definitely don't have any gear to sell and wouldn't be in it for the views and popularity. When I do, expect a very simple channel like Basin79's. It'll be a mixture of education and "entertainment", but not to the expense of my pets' wellbeing and will definitely not make a fool of myself. Here's hoping I get something done before the first half of the year.

For the record, aside Basin79, there's also Tom Moran and Jon3800 that I follow almost religiously, along with lovetarantulas (Andrew Smith's channel) to see tarantulas in their natural habitat. And then, if I want pure entertainment, I'll flock (See what I did there ? ;)) to Mr. Max T.V. :)

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Tom is still the best for me. No nonsense and actually provides loads of helpful information. Like you typed doesn't use click bait titles either. It's criminal he doesn't have thousands more subs but sadly doing things right seems to do that.

I really hope Tom's channel blows up massively as it can only be a good thing.
I love Tom's channel and go to it for husbandry information and to watch his rehousings, but I actually really love his podcast. I listen to it on Tuesdays on my drive to work.

Richard from the Tarantula Collective is like the nicest guy in the world. I like his videos, too. I feel like they have a little something for everyone.

Amanda Myers

Arachnopeon
I love Tom's channel and go to it for husbandry information and to watch his rehousings, but I actually really love his podcast. I listen to it on Tuesdays on my drive to work.

Richard from the Tarantula Collective is like the nicest guy in the world. I like his videos, too. I feel like they have a little something for everyone.
Tom's Podcast is my go to! I listen on my way to work, on my way home from work, and at work. I have even listened to some of them several times. Tom is my go to! Very educational and has helped me evolve as a keeper. Some channels I go to for information and some for entertainment.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Came for Exotic Lair, stayed for Tom Moran.

PS. I also enjoy Tarantula Haven, Tarantula Kat and a few more.

I don't understand the whole unboxing thing. Just show a box and then your new pet in the enclosure.
IMHO - Unboxings help those who are new to the hobby and are receiving some T's for the 1st time.

Man, people will watch anything!
There is youtubers whose "content" is them reacting to TV shows and people donate to them! It's crazy!

Imagine paying someone to do tarantula videos when you can use that money to buy your own tarantula or better yet if you have spare money to just chuck away donate it to something that's actually good.
IMHO - The reacting of shows (GOT, The Boys, Cobra Kai, etc.) is a whole different ball game. If your a fan of a certain show, there's no better way to relive it than through the eyes of someone else. This wouldn't work with Tarantulas or sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
IMHO - Unboxings help those who are new to the hobby and are receiving some T's for the 1st time.
If they can't unbox a tarantula without needing a walk through I don't think tarantulas are the pets for them. But even if they do need a tutorial the 1's I've seen AREN'T that. They're just "look what I've got" unboxings that are absolutely pointless.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I do follow all tarantula youtubers, but that doesn't necessarily mean I watch all of them. Sure I'll glance at a few videos here and there, but that's about it. With that said, I can give my stance on the subject.

Pros:

Popular tarantula youtubers make it easy for new keepers to feel more confident about the prospect of owning tarantulas

They make the videos entertaining, which in turn draws in prospective keepers.

In between:

They draw a lot of attention to the hobby, which can be both good and bad for the hobby.

Cons:

the advice could be subpar

Stunts for views, which could cause new keepers to follow their lead.

In conclusion popular youtubers can be bad or good for the hobby, I would not use these youtubers as a good source of information, with the exception of channels like tom Moran and in my opinion Erie arachnids (in my opinion, his channel is like Tom Moran's before the fancy opening at the start of all his videos).