Pros and cons of popular tarantula YouTubers?

Phia

Arachnopeon
Tarantula youtubers help normalize my hobby in the eyes of my friends and family, lol. :rolleyes: I refer them to Dark Den or Tarantula Kat or Exotics Lair and suddenly they're experts.

Tom's Big Spiders is one of my favorites, but he's too dry for non-T people, lol.

I do wholeheartedly agree that the sensationalist stuff is uncool. These people need clickbait to survive I guess. Views are the currency they deal in and everyone wants to watch something exciting and dangerous.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
This answer is a controversial one. A good majority of new T. hobbyist are brought in by Youtubers like the Dark Den and Exotics Lair, which is a somewhat good thing. Everything else is almost a negative from there on. More hobbyist equals more demand of T.'s resulting in price inflations due to supply and demand issues and many more.

These people are trying to make T.'s entertaining to lower the fear in arachnophobes, which is a good thing. But Youtube is a double-edged sword in terms of this hobby. Exotics Lair and The Dark Den are entertainment tarantula Youtubers that want to help people out. But in return, fans worship them like literal gods. Logically, they are swaying this hobby into a new course. Either good or bad, it's up to how you see it.

The Dark Den is entertaining and I'm subscribed to his channel because it's fun and entertaining (I can admit this). But then again when a young enthusiasts person watches this, they instantly think this hobby is all rainbows and sunshine. Which in reality, there is also drawbacks and people who are really desperate to start with a cool dangerous OW T. than rather starting with a NW in this hobby. I like the Dark Den, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does, which is not a bad thing. Every keeper has their way of doing things, but they shouldn't encourage or show it to the audience on a normal basis like handling (in general) for example. Look, at the end of the day don't watch, but learn, research, and care for T.'s yourself to get your own personal taste on this hobby and not rely on one or two Youtubers to save you.

Exotics Lair is wayyyyyy tooooo overrated. His enclosures are small, his ventilation is poor in his terrestrial enclosures and his explanations are wayyy too vague. I'd rather watch the Dark Den over Exotics Lair if I had to choose between the two. Exotics Lair should be called Exotics West Coast Exotics Jr. Not trying to be mean, but his enclosures are too small. Sure, they can do fine in them, but it's not an ideal enclosure for any T. He's so vague and uninformative on info. All he does is scratch on the bare basics on things. The only thing in depth he ever did was his dubia roach care video regarding animals. If I compare any bad youtuber (Deadlytarantulagirl,West Coast Exotics) to Exotics Lair, I can see how similar there enclosures can compare very closely. Poor levels of substrate, small or tight enclosures, flexing, and depressing. Now that I think about it, West Coast Exotics and Exotics Lair have about the same amount of substrate levels. Do I like Exotics Lair? Mostly no, even his T.'s don't like him that's why almost all rehouses results in bolting. In this case scenario, i'm cheering for the T.'s to escape from Exotics Lair and be free rather than being forced into a barely suitable enclosure. I'm pretty certain he's getting to a level where PETA is going to get involved. :troll::troll:
agree! exotics lair is overrated and exaggerates too much. only faking it for the patreon donations.
Watching DTG chase here Ts with a fish net makes me cringe.
she should cover those spoiled melons too

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I don't understand the whole unboxing thing. Just show a box and then your new pet in the enclosure.
Man, people will watch anything!
There is youtubers whose "content" is them reacting to TV shows and people donate to them! It's crazy!

Imagine paying someone to do tarantula videos when you can use that money to buy your own tarantula or better yet if you have spare money to just chuck away donate it to something that's actually good.

Scarge

Arachnopeon
Man, people will watch anything!
There is youtubers whose "content" is them reacting to TV shows and people donate to them! It's crazy!

Imagine paying someone to do tarantula videos when you can use that money to buy your own tarantula or better yet if you have spare money to just chuck away donate it to something that's actually good.

People watch other people play video games, when I was a kid that was your punishment for losing.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Well I am hoping to earn some money from my YouTube channel as well as give more sound advice.

One thing I really like to watch is the happy "dance" they do while feeding.

Phia

Arachnopeon
The happy dance is the best lol

Y’all know one thing that always disturbs me about youtubers - they seem to always keep OBT without a solid hide like a cork bark tube or cork cave. They’re in a magnificent tunnel of their own web on sub. So when they open the container the OBT is startled and on the defensive. I guess this is entertaining lol but those same family members I refer these channels to ask me Omg do you have an OBT? They’re so aggressive! And I’m like Yeah. Cakes. Jaffa cakes is an OBT. You only ever see her spider paws and she never leaves her hide during the day. Maintaining her enclosure is a snap....

But that’s too boring, lol.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
The happy dance is the best lol

Y’all know one thing that always disturbs me about youtubers - they seem to always keep OBT without a solid hide like a cork bark tube or cork cave. They’re in a magnificent tunnel of their own web on sub. So when they open the container the OBT is startled and on the defensive. I guess this is entertaining lol but those same family members I refer these channels to ask me Omg do you have an OBT? They’re so aggressive! And I’m like Yeah. Cakes. Jaffa cakes is an OBT. You only ever see her spider paws and she never leaves her hide during the day. Maintaining her enclosure is a snap....

But that’s too boring, lol.
My B. Albopilosum has a cork hide. I am not sure how I am going to fit one for the P. Irminia as it is only an inch.

Phia

Arachnopeon
My B. Albopilosum has a cork hide. I am not sure how I am going to fit one for the P. Irminia as it is only an inch.
Haha I was talking about OBT specifically, since they’re famous for aggression. P. irminia do well with just a little corner cork or a cork spire they can make a web tunnel with. My gripe is youtubers don’t utilize a simple fix for their OBT’s general insecurity because it isn’t entertaining. You can’t open the enclosure and get a threat posture from a bright orange tarantula lol if the tarantula can just turn tail and hide

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I was talking about OBT specifically, since they’re famous for aggression.
Overrated on threat postures, I own 3 of them and almost never get threat postures from any of them.

You can’t open the enclosure and get a threat posture from a bright orange tarantula lol if the tarantula can just turn tail and hide
Agree, but actually more substrate for burrowing are better for them. If you give a OBT a lot of substrate, it's going to be a pet hole for most specimens, and no threat postures as people make them to be.

Phia

Arachnopeon
Agree, but actually more substrate for burrowing are better for them. If you give a OBT a lot of substrate, it's going to be a pet hole for most specimens, and no threat postures as people make them to be.
Needs more sub :angelic:

Amanda Myers

Arachnopeon
I absolutely love The Dark Den, he genuinely loves his animals, he isnt afraid to admit his mistakes or show them. The difference between us most of them they share their T journey. Some I agree are more for show and less about their animals, but to place such dislike on the fact that they took their passion and made a living out of it seems like a lot of jealousy. Imo if you dont like them dont watch but to talk about them is ridiculous. Thanks to many of them they made Ts not so creepy and showed people that they aren't creepy. Just my take on it.

Serafeimink

Arachnopeon
I don’t think Petko is in it for $$ or popularity. It’s just a hobby he loves to do. He also has a skateboard channel I believe

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I've seen some youtubers actually say the unboxing is awkward as due to filming they've only got 1 hand free.
I'd never try to rehouse with one hand. That's what tripods/stands are for!

I really wish more YouTube videos were stable. I can't watch shaky videos for long without feeling nauseated.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd never try to rehouse with one hand. That's what tripods/stands are for!

I really wish more YouTube videos were stable. I can't watch shaky videos for long without feeling nauseated.
I'm guilty of shaky videos. NOT UNBOXING. I don't do unboxing videos. I don't like the restrictions of a tripod. I like to move around. I will absolutely admit though my vids aren't in anyway "professional". It's a case of you get what you get.