Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Predatory Fish

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Weapon-X, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Mister Internet

Mister Internet Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :) Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Re: Re: Re: re

:rolleyes: well it's a good thing someone isn't trying to make me look silly...

Ok, let me clarify... when I said voracious predator, I wasn't talking about something being a scourge to the local cricket, roach, lizard, and mouse populations... I'm talking about endangering things at or above said organism's slot in the food chain. These snakeheads can handily kill fish three or four times bigger than they are... and they can be 3 feet long full grown! Does that leave ANY freshwater fish out of danger?? No, not really... not in this continent (the exceptions being White Sturgeon in Canada, and Blue Catfish that are older than God).

2. Chris

Chris Arachnoknight Old Timer

Actually folks... too late!

The snakehead is infested all over the northern states and even here in Canada. They are really destructive to the ecosystem in that they clean out a lake then walk over to the next one.

They are catching them in droves at the dam near here.

3. Niether. I give them Betta pellets, and ocassionally I give them freeze dried blood worms. Not too much or it makes them constipated. Heres an interesting tidbit; if you see a string of poop hanging from your betta, it means its constipated. So boil up a frozen pea, and peel the skin, feed the betta a tiny piece of the inside. It will clean em out. Believe me it works. ;)

4. Deathreaver

Deathreaver Arachnosquire Old Timer

Though betta will eat smaller fish, their man food (in captivity) is betta pellets and vegie flakes. They are not a sleek predatory fish, more like a see food eat food type thing.

Peace,
    DPS

5. Deathreaver

sorry for the mistakes. Though bettas....main food....are betta pellets and veggie flakes..........thing.

6. Uh, they as far as I know should only be fed pellets, because they are meat-a-tarians...carnivores. They should never be fed a plant only diet. Certainly never human food. Peas are just for constipation.

7. Deathreaver

True, but betta will eat live plants and "tropical fish flakes" or veggie flakes as I call them.. I my males has manage to eat all the roots of a plant i put in his tank.

8. Deathreaver

Pellet food are by far the best for betta, that is normally all I use, with the exception of my male that like his lil Chew toy. =D

9. Jobe

Jobe Arachnoknight

Re: Re: re

hey yeah tom! i remember reading about a snakehead infestation in some of the ponds in the US(or was it one pond, i cant remember)...something about someone releasing a few and they bred incontrollably...

We have a common introduced Cichlid here with that same problem, although it doesnt kill of all other fish by hunting them, but rather it kills off everything else by depleting the pond of all small life, which in turn knocks out all other fish over time. It has been seen in almost all the smaller ponds on my island...

Believe it or not, the only way me and a few friends of mine cleared a pond near my house of this menace was to introduce giant snakeheads :)
    Worked like a charm, since most native species here have survived with the snakehead, the pond was almost 100% cichlid free in a year, and the snakeheads were big, fat and strong for the fight :D

-e-

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.