Poll: How tolerant is your significant other of your tarantulas?

Well?

• Total voters

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I believe you. There is something about the way they move and act
that has me cringing. Lots of people collect them besides Theraphosidae, but I don't think I will ever get one.
Today she was trying to "chew" one of the air holes, coincidence, the "bigger" one. One of the forcipule went out, ah ah, then she turned on the substrate again... another roach, hunted him even in the water dish. It's incredible the intelligence they have, how cold blood they act, how much they calculate. I didn't went to sleep without knowing that she, eating, cooled down :-s

They aren't too much here, IMO. I was expecting more keepers (compared to T's keepers).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Today she was trying to "chew" one of the air holes, coincidence, the "bigger" one. OI e of the forcipule went out, ah ah, then she turned on the substrate again... another roach, hunted him even in the water dish. It's incredible the intelligence they have, how cold blood they act, how much they calculate. I didn't went to sleep without knowing that she, eating, cooled down :-s

They aren't too much here, IMO. I was expecting more keepers (compared to T's keepers).
Only a couple of people keep them
here, it is more Theraphosidae and scorpions here. Or there could be a top secret underground movement i am not aware of :D

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
My wife used to be very scared of spiders when we were younger (high school). She got over that in college when staying over meant tarantulas and an 8" Scolopendra subspinipes on the headboard. I got away from the hobby for a while in grad school, but she bought me an A. avicularia for my birthday a few years ago and now I'm back.

I would rate her as indifferent to slightly interested. She occasionally shows some interest in them, especially when they're molting but has very little interest in the selection process. I haven't named any of my tarantulas since I got back in the hobby, but she has affectionately named a couple of them (Mrs. Fuzzy Britches and Elvira). She keeps the molts for her 5th graders to look at and encourages her students to not kill spiders. She does still show some fear of the H. villosella. Something about it gives her the creeps.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Okay, I have to share this....Yeeeeah, I know I already posted here, BUT this is cute: my fiance had a friend over the other day while I was at work, and my fiance said to me, "Leila, <friend> wanted to see the tarantulas while you were away, but I told him we have to keep that room quiet because Zoe is nursing an egg sac, so it is best if we view the tarantulas at a later date..."
My heart imploded! :happy::embarrassed::embarrassed:
As annoyed as he might get with me, he continues to exude empathy. Mmm! :)

Grenn

Arachnopeon
Well, my wife finally spotted that my bug shelf suddenly went from 2 Ts... to 4 Ts and 1 mantis. All I could respond was: "Life finds a way!" :angelic:

She isn't entirely comfortable with more, so this will be my collection for the foreseeable and I'm happy with that. I feel like this is a good little number - there's usually something going on or to feed but not at all time or space intensive.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Okay, I have to share this....Yeeeeah, I know I already posted here, BUT this is cute: my fiance had a friend over the other day while I was at work, and my fiance said to me, "Leila, <friend> wanted to see the tarantulas while you were away, but I told him we have to keep that room quiet because Zoe is nursing an egg sac, so it is best if we view the tarantulas at a later date..."
My heart imploded! :happy::embarrassed::embarrassed:
As annoyed as he might get with me, he continues to exude empathy. Mmm! :)
That is just epic....and he is right as well, it is better to not disturb her. Nice move of husband-to-be :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My wife used to be very scared of spiders when we were younger (high school). She got over that in college when staying over meant tarantulas and an 8" Scolopendra subspinipes on the headboard. I got away from the hobby for a while in grad school, but she bought me an A. avicularia for my birthday a few years ago and now I'm back.

I would rate her as indifferent to slightly interested. She occasionally shows some interest in them, especially when they're molting but has very little interest in the selection process. I haven't named any of my tarantulas since I got back in the hobby, but she has affectionately named a couple of them (Mrs. Fuzzy Britches and Elvira). She keeps the molts for her 5th graders to look at and encourages her students to not kill spiders. She does still show some fear of the H. villosella. Something about it gives her the creeps.
Maybe it is the long spinnerets and the skittish way it moves?

Leila

Arachnobaron
That is just epic....and he is right as well, it is better to not disturb her. Nice move of husband-to-be :)
I know, right?? I was beaming with bliss when he told me that. By the way, Zoe (B. albo) is his favorite. He cannot wait for me to pull her egg sac just so he will be able to see his lil fuzzy Zo again. Lol. (I am curious to see how he reacts to the eggs/slings if all goes well with them. I betcha anything he will fall in love with them- he just doesn't know it yet.) :embarrassed: