Poll: How tolerant is your significant other of your tarantulas?

Well?

• Total voters

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Maybe there's still hope for my T and lizards and it's just gonna take longer? *sigh* :arghh:
Tell him to treat them like fish, just let you take care of them and if he is ever interested in helping/learning about them then take that as he has warmed up to it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
We share many interests--music, gaming, car stuff, etc, but I just can't get him to warm up to my lizards and T. He doesn't understand why I like them and feels like they're taking up space.
It's healthy for both partners in a relationship to have their own hobbies and interests -- and to respect that each person will spend a certain amount of time and money indulging those interests.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I put "not tolerant at all", but my husband sits somewhere kind of in between that and "somewhat disapproves" right now. I stated in a previous thread that I am probably going to be limited to one T for some time due to his vehemence toward me getting it. :rolleyes: We share many interests--music, gaming, car stuff, etc, but I just can't get him to warm up to my lizards and T. He doesn't understand why I like them and feels like they're taking up space. I don't know. I talked him into getting a dog a few years ago and he was pretty against that as well but now he loves that dog to death and carries him around calling him "my son" and all this other cheesy stuff. Maybe there's still hope for my T and lizards and it's just gonna take longer? *sigh* :arghh:
I think that a lot of people who are indifferent towards or even dislike animals probably either had no experiences or bad experiences with them growing up. I've always been fascinated with them, but I understand that not everyone has the same level of enthusiasm. Fortunately for me, my gal has 6 llamas, 6 alpacas, a dog, some cats, and a mess of chickens of her own, so she is very happy to see animals of all kinds. If we combined all of our critters, we could start a mini zoo! :happy:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Ok, this thread is definitely on par with an earlier thread about dumb things pet store employees say as far as tarantulas are concerned. In other words: this thread is great!!!!!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My wife likes the Ts a lot, but wants them to be our "pets", and so doesn't want us to get more than we can name and remember. So less than about 20
Tell her you believe in using the Arabic numeral system, that will fix that one.

You'll love the ladies here, mate. Everything's bigger in Texas ;)
Not everything, it's not even the largest state in the Union.

WAIT. YOU'RE A WOMAN? I NEVER KNEW.

DARNIT PEANUT WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME
That's what profiles are for.

Are we turned heretics, now? :-s
Shush, the Papa may hear you!

My wife used to be very opposed, but now she is very defensive of all 17 of them. She has even taken to calling the GBB she got for me for Christmas as "her spider".
Does she feed "her spider" too? Re-house "her spider" as well?

She told me to get rid of my spiders.

In other news, I'm single and ready to mingle.
I take it she was clearly delusional on the reality of her transient position in life?

It's healthy for both partners in a relationship to have their own hobbies and interests -- and to respect that each person will spend a certain amount of time and money indulging those interests.
That's just plain crazy talk. Every psychologist espouses the philosophy of each partner melting into the other so that they lose themselves in a blissful abandon of delusion.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
I chose Some what disaproves not their favourite thing

She hates spiders such as house spiders etc, but Tarantulas she can tolerate as it has hair, she must tolerate it more than I think as she is buying me my first T in August possibly sooner.

It may even help rid her fear of them in general ;):happy:

I put "not tolerant at all", but my husband sits somewhere kind of in between that and "somewhat disapproves" right now. I stated in a previous thread that I am probably going to be limited to one T for some time due to his vehemence toward me getting it. :rolleyes: We share many interests--music, gaming, car stuff, etc, but I just can't get him to warm up to my lizards and T. He doesn't understand why I like them and feels like they're taking up space. I don't know. I talked him into getting a dog a few years ago and he was pretty against that as well but now he loves that dog to death and carries him around calling him "my son" and all this other cheesy stuff. Maybe there's still hope for my T and lizards and it's just gonna take longer? *sigh* :arghh:
I can somewhat relate to your story, my fiancée doesn't hate them yet doesn't love them, but it's no different from any hobby he does that "takes up space" for me, I had to sit down and talk to my partner about it, she was reluctant at first, and as I said, as she was allowed to have her bearded dragon, I would like a pet of my choosing, in time she kind of saw my vision and agreed to one.

But also at the end of the day, you are both two people with your own lives and interests, separate from eachother. And if this T is your first ever. Maybe owning just 1 is a good thing as it will let you gain experience with them a little first. But just curious what T are you getting/have?:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Well, the one who most recently dumped me loved spiders as much as I do! And she still has two that I bought her at a reptile show that she couldn't attend with me. Wonder if it'd be awkward of me to go over there to claim them back:shifty:

"Hey, thanks for breaking my heart. Can I have those spiders back?:angelic:"

Btw, mentioning my spider collection is my litmus test.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Single and will stay that way for quite some time. Way to lazy to try and justify my collection of T's and herps.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I take it she was clearly delusional on the reality of her transient position in life?
She was delusional in the sense that she believed a girlfriend of six months could make a demand to rid me of a hobby of over four years.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I don't need to worry about that since I am SINGLE!!!! and will continue to be until I move to Texas. I do look forward to the day a lady asks me what my hobbies are, that way I can say "oh, nothing special, typical things like playing an instrument, watching the Dallas Cowboys, raising live tarantulas, you know things like that"

The trick is to NOT tell her about the spiders being a hobby...its a lifestyle. jk

tAngents

Arachnopeon
I can somewhat relate to your story, my fiancée doesn't hate them yet doesn't love them, but it's no different from any hobby he does that "takes up space" for me, I had to sit down and talk to my partner about it, she was reluctant at first, and as I said, as she was allowed to have her bearded dragon, I would like a pet of my choosing, in time she kind of saw my vision and agreed to one.

But also at the end of the day, you are both two people with your own lives and interests, separate from eachother. And if this T is your first ever. Maybe owning just 1 is a good thing as it will let you gain experience with them a little first. But just curious what T are you getting/have?:)
I got a G. sp. "Northern Type" (according to people on here after I posted pics, so I'm going with that!). It is also likely a "she". She's a very nice T, sits out on display for me all the time on top of her log. Probably a good thing, though, that she is my only one since she is my first and I'm still learning. And yes, I agree it's good to have our separate interests and hobbies. I think he's just annoyed that mine involves live animals that he has to "share his space with". If I did scrapbooking or knitting I don't think he'd complain :D Tried to get him to warm up to my lizards a few years back by taking my friendliest one out and letting her crawl on his shoulder. Didn't really work, but he has helped me medicate one before when she got pneumonia. And he used to set up the space heater in their room when it would get too cold in the apartment we used to live in. I would come home from work and he'd say, "It seemed cold in the lizard room and I know how much you love them so I set the space heater up in there." :happy:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Shush, the Papa may hear you!
Ah ah ah, I have only to learn from his (Papa Ciccio - Pope Francis) cronies, my man. Are those days news in Italy the adventures of Don Contin (Father Contin) a priest from Padova city that with his red Jaguar (indeed a poor man car) used to go in hotels with young Ladies where everyone knew him as "the director" or "the lawyer" lol.

Not even mentioning orgies for years in the vicarage with movies taken in full YP style.

But Christ, at least those weren't pedos :-s

SpiderSling2017

Arachnopeon
I got a G. sp. "Northern Type" (according to people on here after I posted pics, so I'm going with that!). It is also likely a "she". She's a very nice T, sits out on display for me all the time on top of her log. Probably a good thing, though, that she is my only one since she is my first and I'm still learning. And yes, I agree it's good to have our separate interests and hobbies. I think he's just annoyed that mine involves live animals that he has to "share his space with". If I did scrapbooking or knitting I don't think he'd complain :D Tried to get him to warm up to my lizards a few years back by taking my friendliest one out and letting her crawl on his shoulder. Didn't really work, but he has helped me medicate one before when she got pneumonia. And he used to set up the space heater in their room when it would get too cold in the apartment we used to live in. I would come home from work and he'd say, "It seemed cold in the lizard room and I know how much you love them so I set the space heater up in there." :happy:
Ooh nice, I'm getting a Euathlus SP. Red as my first, in August. Tempted to catch and keep a ordinary house spider to keep my patience at bay :angelic:

He must respect your interest a lot then, if he took the time to set up heating :happy: my fiancée wouldn't do that lol, only thing she's doing is paying for it but won't go near it or care for it. She made that very clear :rofl:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am currently married to my tarantulas. I never thought I would have this many females living with me.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
My husband really doesn't like them, I think he's actually phobic but won't admit it to me because he thinks I will try to treat it. But he knows I'll do what I want, so he puts up with it and he sees it makes me happy. My Ts aren't allowed in the house and once I had him give water to my sling when I was gone for a week and he was really upset about it. I will not do that again. I've asked if I can have a T at home and he is very against it. I took my toddler to my office on the weekend and I told him "she helped me water the spiders" and he got really upset. I had to explain what that involved and that she wasn't near them or in danger of being harmed. My hope is that when my daughter is older she will want her own T (she really likes them) and then we can start to have them in the house. But I won't hold my breath!

If I had a spouse who liked Ts we would have a room full of them by now.

I do have to add that he tries and he's pretty funny and I totally support his surfing addiction so he support my hobbies. Back before I got Ts caught spiders outside for therapy work, he left this for me and said "look I caught a spider for you to take to work"

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Ooh nice, I'm getting a Euathlus SP. Red as my first, in August. Tempted to catch and keep a ordinary house spider to keep my patience at bay :angelic:

He must respect your interest a lot then, if he took the time to set up heating :happy: my fiancée wouldn't do that lol, only thing she's doing is paying for it but won't go near it or care for it. She made that very clear :rofl:
I was sitting at my desk at work typing away on the keyboard the other day when suddenly I looked down and saw the tiniest little spider sitting there pointed in my direction just beyond the keyboard. This little spider seemed lost in this world full of human objects. I am surprised that it was even alive as we have this arachnophobic person at work who hates any bugs and calls the pesticide folks every time she sees one. Anyway, I suddenly found myself emptying all of the toothpicks out of a plastic container and giving this little spider a ride home. I don't know if it will survive, but I have put it in a small deli cup and am trying to feed it some fruit flies. It would never survive outside since it is winter, so I thought I would give it a vacation at the spider resort.