Poisonous Spider Identification Request

annwn

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,
This spider bit me last weekend and it had a poisonous effect on me. I have been searching online through many pictures to try to identify it. At first I thought it was a Black Widow, but now I can't find any pictures that match. Does anyone here know what kind of spider this is? It is living in the Southwest U.S. It's round primary body is a solid 1/2 inch diameter and the legs make it about an inch in size. It's fang marks seemed to be similar to the width of its body or else it bit me twice. The bite mark was minimal, but the poison felt like a paralyzing venom causing severe muscle cramping and sweating for 18 hours and then ongoing lesser aches for an additional 24 hours. The venom started in my shoulder, then moved down through my body over the course of the timeframe.

Attachments

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can you get a picture of the underside? It looks like a Latrodectus, maybe hesperus. And by the way, they are venomous, not poisonous. How did you get it to bite you?

Stugy

Arachnolord
Looks like a widow so I will assume Latrodectus hesperus (AKA Western Widow) but as you are in NM, I may be wrong since I don't have much knowledge regarding New Mexico wildlife :p

annwn

Arachnopeon
I had taken a canvas instrument case out of my shed, which is where the spider was. When I started packing up the tall instrument I was moving the case around, and felt a needle prick on my left shoulder. When I moved my hand to touch my shoulder, I knocked the spider to the floor. It didn't occur to me it was venomous, and I placed a bowl over it, cardboard underneath and let it go outside. I took the picture after setting it down. I never saw its underside and didn't think in that moment it was necessary. My shoulder still itches a week later, but there isn't a terribly visible bite mark.

annwn

Arachnopeon
If you notice in the pic, there is a small indentation in the center of its body. I remember that was an actual indentation, impression in the middle.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Unless you have an underlying heart condition, the bite of a widow isnt much to worry about. It can cause intense smooth muscle cramps, but aside from that, it's not all that bad.

the best thing you can do is take some antihistamines

Texas hosts all known US widows other than the Red Widow. hesperus is more common in the arid portions

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The bite mark was minimal, but the poison felt like a paralyzing venom causing severe muscle cramping and sweating for 18 hours and then ongoing lesser aches for an additional 24 hours. The venom started in my shoulder, then moved down through my body over the course of the timeframe.
That sounds exactly like my Widow bite. The only really severe cramping was in my gut. It was strange, sort of funny. 12 hours after the bite and a rather sleepless night I got called on the fire line. Nothing like the adrenaline rush of a brush fire to make you forget your aches and pains. But the funny thing was taking a break one evening and unable to figure out why my fingers, the knuckle joints, were in agony. (Swinging a Pulaski and brush axe all day.) Then I remembered the widow bite. An interesting latent venom effect.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Unless you have an underlying heart condition, the bite of a widow isnt much to worry about. It can cause intense smooth muscle cramps, but aside from that, it's not all that bad.

the best thing you can do is take some antihistamines

Texas hosts all known US widows other than the Red Widow. hesperus is more common in the arid portions
Er...she lives here in New Mexico, not Texas.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I understand there is antivenin available. Curious how effective it is and I imagine it must be quite expensive.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
This isn't very helpful, but I did see someone correcting "poisonous vs. venomous" and wanted to further elaborate: an animal or plant that is poisonous delivers toxins through being touched or eaten, while an animal that is venomous injects its toxins through a bite or sting. I think there are also venomous plants, but not too sure on that one.

Basically, to be harmed by a venomous animal, it bites you, but for a poisonous animal, you bite it. :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This isn't very helpful, but I did see someone correcting "poisonous vs. venomous" and wanted to further elaborate: an animal or plant that is poisonous delivers toxins through being touched or eaten, while an animal that is venomous injects its toxins through a bite or sting. I think there are also venomous plants, but not too sure on that one.

Basically, to be harmed by a venomous animal, it bites you, but for a poisonous animal, you bite it. :)
The most accurate definition: Venoms are glandular secretions.
A poison is anything with a negative or detrimental effect. E.g. A 'poison pill' clause in a contract. The presence of a material that inhibits or alters nuclear reactions.

TheSpiderChick

Arachnopeon
Not with that pattern on the abdomen
What pattern are you seeing? I see some reflected light, some smudges, and an indentation, but no pattern. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - I think it's pretty likely a Latrodectus (especially considering the severity of the symptoms) but I'm just not seeing a pattern.

TheSpiderChick

Arachnopeon
I understand there is antivenin available. Curious how effective it is and I imagine it must be quite expensive.
Antivenin would only be used in very severe cases, and would be administered only during acute symptoms, not after things have calmed down. Most of the time Latrodectus bites are managed with meds to control pain and blood pressure along with supportive hospital care. The antivenin has a risk of severe allergic reaction, so it is only used in very serious cases.

TheSpiderChick

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,
This spider bit me last weekend and it had a poisonous effect on me. I have been searching online through many pictures to try to identify it. At first I thought it was a Black Widow, but now I can't find any pictures that match. Does anyone here know what kind of spider this is? It is living in the Southwest U.S. It's round primary body is a solid 1/2 inch diameter and the legs make it about an inch in size. It's fang marks seemed to be similar to the width of its body or else it bit me twice. The bite mark was minimal, but the poison felt like a paralyzing venom causing severe muscle cramping and sweating for 18 hours and then ongoing lesser aches for an additional 24 hours. The venom started in my shoulder, then moved down through my body over the course of the timeframe.
So you're saying you had those symptoms and you didn't seek any medical help the whole time?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What pattern are you seeing? I see some reflected light, some smudges, and an indentation, but no pattern. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you - I think it's pretty likely a Latrodectus (especially considering the severity of the symptoms) but I'm just not seeing a pattern.
On the dorsal of the abdomen, toward the back, there is a deep red dot with a lighter yellowish border, Steatoda won't have this, especially at that size, this is why it is easily identifiable as a Latrodectus