Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Poison immunity

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Zarathustra, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Zarathustra

    Zarathustra Arachnosquire

    Advertisement
    Is it possible to build immunity to scorpion poison? I know there is a guy in Florida, whose name escapes me, that regularly injected small amounts of snake venom into himself, and eventually built immunity to snake venom of all sorts. In fact, his blood has been used as anti-venom to save people that were envenomed. Once in a blue moon he is on an animal show, and he was even on Geraldo, or some such show, because of his amazing feats. I was just wondering if the same was possible with scorpion poison. I would think that it is totally possible, but what do I know. Any ideas?
     
  2. telow

    telow Arachnobaron Old Timer

    yes that is possable but to what species i have no idea.
    they guys name is bill love that injects the venom for immunity

    but i believe it is possable to overcome some scorpions venoms
    and then again i may be worng because alot of scorpions venom
    works alot different and has different effects on the things they sting.
     
  3. BigBryan

    BigBryan Arachnoknight Old Timer

    theres also that dude who built an immunity to bee stings... i dont see why its not possible to build an immunity to scorp stings either
     
  4. What

    What Arachnoprince

    attempting this can also mae you sensitive to the venom.
     
  5. Steffen

    Steffen Arachnobaron Old Timer

    This is how you build immunity to all kinds of viruses, deceases, venom etc.
    A vaccine for instance could contain a small amount of a decease and the body builds up antigens. This involves the white bloodcells etc. The next time your body is presented by this decease, it already contains the antigens to fight it.

    But if you are very sensitive/allergic to something, it will always and only get worse.
     
  6. Normski2020uk

    Normski2020uk Arachnolord Old Timer

    Hi, yes it is possible to desesatise yourself. However it must be carfully montiord. You could quiet as easily sesatise your self to the venom. The same way as you can eat peanuts one day, or be ok with wasp stings one day, and the next have a alergic reaction, it a risk, and if your constantly exposing your system to poisons a big risk
     
  7. From some recent study and consideration I am lead to believe this little theory o' mine.

    Scorpions' venom rates on a scale of 1-5, 1 being the lowest and least harmful and 5 being lethal or incredibly medically significant. Ok this is me stating the obvious, but I have herd stories that P. Imp. can cause a serious infection to someone who is not normally allergic to such a sting. In fact they have been stung by them before and nothing.

    THEORY TIME!

    Is it possible that WC emps that are most likely adults have drove that stinger into something dirty before? Much like centipedes and carniverous millapeades they use thier limbs to drive into a victim to not only inject a painful sting and venom, but these limbs also contain many different types of diseases.

    Possible? Or am I just full of it?
     
  8. fusion121

    fusion121 Arachnoking Old Timer

    UK
    As far as I'm aware repeat exposure to scorpion venoms increases the chance of a massive immune response on the next exposure. Increasing the risk of death from anaphalyatic shock, rather then building up immunity.
     
  9. I agree
    Hyper sensitivity is the only thing to looks forward to if you get stung too much. Its something to do with scorpion venom, something to do with it mainly being protein structure a rather than Chemical? i remember reading something about it long ago before i got my first scorp(3 years ago), and i'm not the most reliable of people so don't quote me
     
  10. Normski2020uk

    Normski2020uk Arachnolord Old Timer

    Deolok, infection and alergic response are to different things, the "secondery infection" someone can get post invenomation, can and is mostlikely due to microorganisums on the telison, but could equaly come from something on the persons skin. An alergic reaction, or Anaphalatic shock (a life threatening alergic reaction) is where histamine is realesed into the blood stream in an attempt to rid the body of the subsatnce, small amounts like you get get from a mossy bite, only swell the imediate area, however anaphalaxix is where the whole body reacts, nasty. and Gigis and fushio are right, only hyper sensativness may com from your first, secound, third or 1000th sting.
     
  11. Curry

    Curry Arachnoknight Old Timer

    I was watching a show the other day on animal planet and they were talking about snakes, spiders and scorps. What I didn't know was that when you get bitten/stung you could either develop an immunity OR an alergic reaction.

    I only though it worked one way which is why i was confused when they said blah blah had been stung many times and on so and so day he was stung and had an alergic reaction.
     
  12. i knew that :) just a theory on some other idea!
     
  13. ~Abyss~

    ~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

    But you would also have to keep in mind that different scorpions have different venoms, so building an immunity to one still leaves you in danger for the other ones. I think i build an immunity to emp stings the last time i got stung (completly my fault) nothing happen not even the little bit of itvhing i used to get. Altough that might be because it injected less venom than last time.
     
  14. Michiel

    Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer


    If you are not allergic to the venom, you will build up more anti-bodies in your body, so you will get less sensitive to the venom. If you are allergic to the venom, the allergic reaction will get worse every time you get stung. So for instance if you are severely allergic you could survive the first and maybe the second sting, but the third sting you will get an anafylactic shock which will lead to all kinds of problems and possibly death...

    "Scorpions of medical importance" H.L.Keegan
    "Scorpions" M.rubio (less detailed)

    And the bit about the legs of centipedes and stingers of scorpions... The infection is caused by the different bacteria on the feet and the stingers.Especially with centipedes, their feet seem to dig in the human skin (always wipe them off in the direction that they are walking. Also keep in mind that in the tropics, the smallest wounds or scratches get infected fasten then in moderate climates....
    "SAS survival manual" John.E.Wiseman

    Cheers, Michiel
     
  15. ectic

    ectic Arachnosquire

    Thing is its a little tricky since you can BECOME Allergic to something you where not ....
    I use to not be allergic to cats and now I do.
     
  16. OR if i read Michiels post correctly, you were always alegergic, its just that the allergic reations were originally so small you didn't notice them and over time have gotten worse
     
  17. ectic

    ectic Arachnosquire

    This is wrong. Allergy is immunal system becoming wrong. You can become less sensitive or more sensitive. Sometime a Virus, a Bacteria , a ... Cancer , HIV , vaccination .. stress or even an allergy to something else can make you allergic to something you where not. I'm not a doctor but trust me I do know about that.
     
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  18. Michiel

    Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

    Maybe you read my post correctly, but you drew the wrong conclusions Gigus..The immunal system is a very complex defense system which can be influenced by in- and /or external factors....
    I was severely allergic to cats till my 14th (sneezing, sniffing, itchy skin, difficulty breathing), haven't had a problem (not a single sniff) untill 27 and I now (especially in these dirty, multiple cat, I am sorry my vacuumcleaner broke down) I am allergic again:confused: .. My eyes tingle within 5 minutes in such a house and my neck gets warm...As long as I do not itch, there is no problem whatsoever, but if I DO itch, my eyes and neck swell up and it looks like i'm hit in the eye and have tumor in my neck somewhere. I have had a dog untill I was 23.
    So it is these :evil: :evil: :mad: darn cats......but mostly the people that don't clean there houses..
     
  19. me...

    im immune on i. mac stings...

    lolx...

    i think my skin just grew thick.
     
  20. With cats and dogs it is individual-specific.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.