Genus Poecilotheria

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=447858&postcount=108

Well the spider in this pic is clearly a juvenile and retain some of the slings colours together with some of the adult coloration, you can say that it's a teenager - other than that I see no obvious incongruencies in colours, though the contrast is a bit high. There are many spiders that have quite some changes in coloration from spiderling through the juvenile stages, early adulthood and fully matured adult.

Regards
Søren

Raqua said:
I was not trying to accuse anybody or show any kind of offence. If you felt that way I am sorry for that it wasn't meant that way at all. I was jus curious.
The E. cyanognathus pics I was refering to were these:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=431384&postcount=103

Compared to my pics, where the color IMHO came out very well and really represent what I have seen:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=447858&postcount=108

Are there some diferent variations then ?
My rufilatas also have a bit diferent color. That's why I thought that GoTerps might be using some kind of specific setup that might make those pics look more purple.
Again, no offence meant.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Søren: Spider on that pic molted 10 times since left eggsack and GoTerps's spider should be juvenile as he stated, that it is 2.5''-3" (If I remember correctly, lazy to lookup). I suppose mine might be adult, she is not that colorful now, it was fresh postmolt. But I had her since sling and it didn't change the color too radically. I lean more to the version of diferent camera flash.

Steve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

it's possible that the spider from Raqua is adult. I keep enough of them and it's possible to mate them with a small bodysize(~4cm). If they grown older, the teeth become purple. Younger cyanos have the typical blue teeth. But it's possible to mate them and get a eggsac!

Cheers

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Raqua -- the younger specimen you link to (listed as ~2.5" in my post) was probably a little over 2" max with legs fully spread. Still a very young spider. All of the colors shown are very indicative of the spider at that time IMO.

That spider (HERE ) is the same spider I just posted pics of (HERE ) only 2 instars earlier. The chelicera have gone from blue to more purple over that time..

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If those pics really represent what you have seen, then there are some color variations. Mine were never that purple, more something between orange and pink. That is quite interesting.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If those pics really represent what you have seen, then there are some color variations. Mine were never that purple, more something between orange and pink. That is quite interesting.
Well, it was a frehsly molted spider... having first post-molt meal about a week after molting. But there were always "purplish" highlights at that size visable to the naked eye (especially on the front legs). Then add a camera flash going off 8" away :)

Back to POECILOTHERIA !!

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine were never purplish except for femurs on Leg I and II.
Well, yes, we messed this thread, maybe moderator might move this discusion to a new thread .... :)

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Raqua -- I went out today and got myself a brand spanking new purple light... just got everything set up and took some pictures.

Here's my P. regalis under my new purple light :) :) ;P

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Man, formosa is definitely one of my favorite pokies. I may have to break down and get one some day. :D Amazing pics, Prizz.

Quick question, looking at rufiliata pics lately, I've been wondering. I'd always heard they were more red, but the pics I've seen are more green. Which is it?

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thx!

P. rufilata adult males look red. The female are more green, brown.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
Hey Raqua -- I went out today and got myself a brand spanking new purple light... just got everything set up and took some pictures.
Here's my P. regalis under my new purple light :) :) ;P
I knew it !!!!!! :worship: :worship: {D {D

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
priZZ,

I just have to say how amazing your pics are! I always enjoy viewing them on the different forums. Thanks...and keep them coming!! :worship:

Rick

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ultimate males

Here are some pictures of a few of the ultimate male Poecilotheria I'm working with at the moment.

Ultimate male Poecilotheria formosa on loan from Lasiodora.

Ultimate male Poecilotheria pederseni on loan from SpiderShoppe.

Ultimate male Poecilotheria rufilata on loan from brigebane.

Last edited: