Genus Poecilotheria

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it was sold as just 'ornamental' so i had robc id it and he said quote: '1000% rufilata!' i have had others say ornata aswell so :? now :wall:
if robc said 1000% then it must be ;)
I would grab vent pictures and post here just to be 1001% sure

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does ornata have blue banding on the bottoms of the legs? I thought only rufilata did,so assuming I am correct that would be an easy way to tell...

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Flip it over and compare:
http://www.froschlurche.de/Poecilotheria-ventral.jpg
what blue banding on the bottom of the legs you referring to?

PS, Am putting up 1 humble % against robc's 1000% that is P ornata :p

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Towards the base of the front legs.(ventral side)There is a band of vivid blue after the first yellow band. Please excuse my total lack of scientific terms.But from what I am seeing,only the rufilata has a blue band on the legs( besides P.metallica)..So if his IS ornata,that would be a fast way to ID it,correct???.Even looking at our 6+ inch females a few minutes ago,the blue ban is present.Or am I going blind AND losing my mind?

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i cant see any blue bands there. Im so :? Right now. Ah, lets just say, for arguments sakes, iv got an orfilata!

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

ah! Iv seen those pics now. The bottom of the palps you mean for the blue band. Hang on il just try and grab her and have a butchers

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i cant see any blue bands there. Im so :? Right now. Ah, lets just say, for arguments sakes, iv got an orfilata!

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

ah! Iv seen those pics now. The bottom of the palps you mean for the blue band. Hang on il just try and grab her and have a butchers
most likely juvenile male P ornata
if you grab vent picture

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
very defensive tonight! on the side anyway

not a great pic i know. it looks a heck of a lot like ornata.

Last edited:

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
was told its female, it shredded the moult last week, right between the 1st set of book lungs! was so looking forward to sexing it for myself to be sure :wall::wall::wall:

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
definately male then :( *shoots self* wanted a female. hes cool anyway, the only pokie other than my sub-adult bara that i can feed with forceps, the rest see them as a threat

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Poecilotheria rufilata feeding on Manduca quinquemaculata moth. Wish I had a video of her cathcing it.

Later, Tom