please help with enclosure for my pink toe

tarantula1234566

Arachnopeon
i think i messed up, i was sold an enclosure,supposedly great for my pink toe but i have now read it needs cross ventilation or it will die, please help i spent 40 pound on this and dont want to buy a new one but if i must i will, any solution 1715454939849.jpeg 1715454820704.jpeg 1715454782739.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If it was returnable that would’ve been a lot easier than setting it up completely. I don’t know why they sell those things , they might work for roaches . Lizards or something?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I’m sorry, but that looks all bad to me. The only ventilation being the wire mesh top, which she could get her claw stuck in.

tarantula1234566

Arachnopeon
If it was returnable that would’ve been a lot easier than setting it up completely. I don’t know why they sell those things , they might work for roaches . Lizards or something?
nope non refundable and im pretty pissed she sold it to me telling me it was great for my new pink toe so idk what enclosure to get and how long i have to get it

I’m sorry, but that looks all bad to me. The only ventilation being the wire mesh top, which she could get her claw stuck in.
what would you reccomend i do

cold blood

Staff member
its not really cross ventilation that is needed, thats just the easiest way to convey the message....fact is that they need air movement, and this doesn't really require a whole lot of ventilation, it just needs to be in the proper locations...ideally there should be ventilation on or near the top, and at the bottom near the substrate, this allows air to be pulled in the bottom as its drawn out the top.

That said, it appears you have a bugarium, which only has top ventilation....long term these are death traps for avics, so unless you are skilled at drilling a few holes near the bottom of the glass, you will indeed need a new enclosure.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
what would you reccomend i do
I’d get a different enclosure as quickly as you are able to. A lot of the workers at pet stores have no clue how to take care of tarantulas. Have you read this thread yet? Best advice on the boards.

tarantula1234566

Arachnopeon
its not really cross ventilation that is needed, thats just the easiest way to convey the message....fact is that they need air movement, and this doesn't really require a whole lot of ventilation, it just needs to be in the proper locations...ideally there should be ventilation on or near the top, and at the bottom near the substrate, this allows air to be pulled in the bottom as its drawn out the top.

That said, it appears you have a bugarium, which only has top ventilation....long term these are death traps for avics, so unless you are skilled at drilling a few holes near the bottom of the glass, you will indeed need a new enclosure.

thanks for the feedback, i am just going to rehouse them but do you have any recomendations for what enclosure to get ? this one is about 20x20x30cm

cold blood

Staff member
thanks for the feedback, i am just going to rehouse them but do you have any recomendations for what enclosure to get ? this one is about 20x20x30cm
I'm in the US, it would be better for someone local to you that knows better whats sold in your area. But you dont need to spend a lot, a sterilite tub is super cheap and can make a great enclosure as they can be ventilated in any manner with a drill.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
Are there any reptile/tarantula specialty store or a non-commercialized pet store in your area? They would have better quality tanks that are more suitable for your T.
I wish you the best of luck!!!

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
That size enclosure is fine, and if you are looking for something that looks similar, ExoTerra makes enclosures with ventilation at the substrate level and at the top. The top will need to be replaced with acrylic, but there are vendors that make those, too, if you don’t want to. I believe they are based on the European designed tanks. @Charliemum do you have any other brands there that are similar that you can recommend?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
That size enclosure is fine, and if you are looking for something that looks similar, ExoTerra makes enclosures with ventilation at the substrate level and at the top. The top will need to be replaced with acrylic, but there are vendors that make those, too, if you don’t want to. I believe they are based on the European designed tanks. @Charliemum do you have any other brands there that are similar that you can recommend?
Why yes 😁 we have a few we have zoomed and exo same as yous we also have Komodo and Habistat, both of these are top opening glass vivs and my favourite I love the Habistat for my arboreal and Komodo for my terrestrial and I use both for fossorial depending on size.
Neither have side vents just full punched steal mesh lids so no toes get stuck and any t I have put in them thrives . We also have several small companies that do custom vivs in glass and ones that build in acrylic same as oner there but I haven't tried any ....yet 😆
There are also the European style things what I call guillotine enclosures I did try these I hated them only open from the front and I was so worried about that stupid slide down door I gave the viv to my SO (he doesn't mind those enclosures)

Komodo. signal-2022-06-19-20-57-46-375.jpg
Gives lots of space comes in several sizes very clear and never let me down. Full punched steal mesh lid.
Brachypelma emilia enclosure before she moved in. Spoiler she burrowed behind the mushrooms not where the burrow was premade 🤷🏻‍♀️

Habistat. signal-2024-01-02-11-30-30-651.jpg
Same as the ones above except the only size they do is 8x8x12 inches and they have a small opening flip lid thing about 1x1 inch just behind the lid latch so you don't have to open the full thing to do a quick water top up or food drop. Amaterasu, Psalmopoeus irminia female enclosure she had just gone in the cork round but she's thrived in there knocking out 2 moults so far np.

European things.
signal-2022-06-15-14-13-01-134.jpg
Alot of ppl love these I hated them the ventilation is funky and that door, it has no way of staying up unless you hold it there making it a one handed job, not good in my opinion, and it slides down so fast and I did cut myself on the glass of the door proping it on the back of my hand while doing feed n cleanup.
As I said alot of ppl like them but not for me at all. This viv housed The Chairman avic purpurea male that went to my SO in the viv for breeding.

As long as you understand the way the humidity in these vivs with the ventilation you have (basically an open top box) and the mesh is punched metal mesh not wire mesh you should be fine. 😊

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter

A guide from the avic god 😉

You need cross venting or it will die
Just so your aware oh God of avics I have linked it because if your on a mobile it doesn't link your link under your name and it may come in handy for op.