Playing with the usb Microscope

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've been doing stuff with my usb microscope and I thought I'd start a thread to post some of it.

Here is a P.irminia molt I sexed earlier today using it and a short video showing the spermatheca.

I'll post new stuff here as I do more with the microscope.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Very nice. Great minds think alike and all that...I just got one of these the other day, but it's not playing nicely with Windows 7. I am working with tech support to see if there's a workaround. They had me run a debug tool and then e-mail them the file it created...fingers crossed. I would love to use this to more easily see the molts for sexing purposes.

About how large is the molt we're looking at here?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I hope you get it worked out. I'm running windows 10 and I had no trouble getting it up and running.

The molt was right at 3.5 inches DLS. I'm getting better at opening up the molts and using wires to lay things out.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I hope you get it worked out. I'm running windows 10 and I had no trouble getting it up and running.

The molt was right at 3.5 inches DLS. I'm getting better at opening up the molts and using wires to lay things out.
Very cool! I have recently heard about these but this is the first time I have seen them being used..

Would you mind dropping a link if you bought it online..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just got one of these the other day, but it's not playing nicely with Windows 7. I am working with tech support to see if there's a workaround. They had me run a debug tool and then e-mail them the file it created...fingers crossed.
Having trouble installing, or having trouble running after installation? If it's the latter, right click the .exe file and click on Properties. Then choose Compatibility from the ribbon menu, tick the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and try another operating system. Dollars to donuts says that Windows XP will work like a charm.

Let me know if that works or not :)

This is the one that I use. A true light microscope would have better color saturation, but taking pictures on this thing is a breeze.

@Trenor you read my mind :D I've wanted to make a microscope thread for weeks now. Care to have a shoot-off? You destroy me with traditional cameras. Perhaps I can hold my own with a microscope!

B. dubia tarsal claw

<0.5" A. ezendami

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've been doing stuff with my usb microscope and I thought I'd start a thread to post some of it.
Great Thread idea, very interesting, would love to see the emboli from a MM, they would look almost alien like, looking forward to seeing more of these microscopic images.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Having trouble installing, or having trouble running after installation?
Thank you for the suggestion, but it didn't work.

The microscope shows up under device manager when I plug it in, but when I open the software, I immediately get an error message that says "Parameter is invalid." Every time I click on anything in the program, the message pops up again. In the lower left corner of the program, it says "Camera is already being used by another application, no preview is available." I haven't the foggiest idea what would be using it...I don't use skype or any other program that should be messing with it. Weird stuff. Hopefully the tech support person can analyze the file I sent yesterday and figure out what is going on.

Edit: We went through many steps. Ultimately, something called svchost.exe is already using the microscope, which makes it unavailable for other programs. So, after I opened up task manager and ended all the svchost.exe processes, no programs would open. Ugh. Why can't things just work out of the box? :banghead:

Last edited:

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
I ordered one of these after being pointed to them, should be here tomorrow. Should be a handy tool to have around.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Great Thread idea, very interesting, would love to see the emboli from a MM, they would look almost alien like, looking forward to seeing more of these microscopic images.
That would be cool. I have a few MM that I am breeding at the moment. If one of them reaches the end of their life cycle I'll see if I can get some photos from the microscope.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Very cool! I have recently heard about these but this is the first time I have seen them being used..

I use this one. It cost a bit more than some but I really like that it comes with the stand. That helps a lot with my shaky hands. I wish it had a bit better resolution but for the price and what you get it works really well.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is the one that I use. A true light microscope would have better color saturation, but taking pictures on this thing is a breeze.

@Trenor you read my mind :D I've wanted to make a microscope thread for weeks now. Care to have a shoot-off? You destroy me with traditional cameras. Perhaps I can hold my own with a microscope!

B. dubia tarsal claw

<0.5" A. ezendami
Nice shots. I'll see what I can dig up. I've not gotten good enough to unwrap the really small molts yet.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here are a few shots from a recent H.pulchripes molt. I've posted a few of these before to the gallery but it'd be nice to have them on this thread.

H.pulchripes fangs (always fun to see)

H.pulchripes Carapace (inside molt)

H.pulchripes Carapace (inside molt with some pieces labeled)

I think I have a nice P.fasciata molt I can do some stuff with when I get home.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I ordered one of these after being pointed to them, should be here tomorrow. Should be a handy tool to have around.
Awesome, I can't do without mine. It's so much better than the other two mini scopes I used to sex with before.

When you get it up and running post up some shots.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I use this one. It cost a bit more than some but I really like that it comes with the stand. That helps a lot with my shaky hands. I wish it had a bit better resolution but for the price and what you get it works really well.
Nice piece of kit, got to get me one of these, not just for my T's, there's lots of fascinating things I'd like to scope, whahaha.....

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Here are a few shots from a recent H.pulchripes molt. I've posted a few of these before to the gallery but it'd be nice to have them on this thread.

H.pulchripes fangs (always fun to see)

H.pulchripes Carapace (inside molt)

H.pulchripes Carapace (inside molt with some pieces labeled)

I think I have a nice P.fasciata molt I can do some stuff with when I get home.
These photos are awesome Trenor, once again great idea for a thread. Should get lots of views from members, it'll be a long running thread me thinks...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nice piece of kit, got to get me one of these, not just for my T's, there's lots of fascinating things I'd like to scope, whahaha.....
Hey there are no rules saying the images and videos have to be just about Ts. An occasional photo of other things would be fine to add here. :D

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hey there are no rules saying the images and videos have to be just about Ts. An occasional photo of other things would be fine to add here. :D
Well, this is the Tarantula Chat forum so anything else other than tarantulas would be off topic. ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, this is the Tarantula Chat forum so anything else other than tarantulas would be off topic. ;)
Yeah.... that is true. I was thinking we could keep it to a minimum. Maybe I should start a general one in the watering hole :)

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Yeah.... that is true. I was thinking we could keep it to a minimum. Maybe I should start a general one in the watering hole :)
That would be cool. A post on general digital microscopy would be great for the Watering Hole or even the Through the Lens forum. I'm interested to see what you and others can do with those digital microscopes. Just to get the ideas rolling, I would like to see what things like micro-organisms in bodies of water (ponds, streams, lakes, etc.) look like as well as plant leaves, soil samples, so and and so forth.