Picky Dubias won’t eat?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This is probably the most troublesome thread in getting a colony started for dubias that I've ever seen. The simplicity it takes to start a colony and the troubles of this thread is all in awe to me. I keep mines so simple and they do relatively fine for my colonies. As someone who raises feeders with multiple colonies, simple is great as it allows managing and cleaning colonies much more easier and more conveniently. I'm surprised how people are using substrate to keep dubias. I just do the simple egg crates, food dishes with the occasional fruit/veggie. Warm temps and frequent checks for dead dubias and waste clean up and that's really about it for me. My goodness do people go such lengths for a feeder colony. But hey, that's just my two cents.
Can you describe more how you keep them any pics ? I kept them for years until they recently stopped breeding now they need a heat mat for second time . I followed various care sheets.
I used egg cartons and paper towel rolls mostly.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It's like how I stated. Simple, convenient, and easy to clean.

Dubia Colony #1

S1340093.JPG

Colony #1 Row 1

S1340094.JPG

Colony #1 Row 2

S1340095.JPG

Liquifin

Arachnoking
What do you heat them with ? I’ve had struggles I think with temperature. They used to breed room temperature, don’t anymore .
Heating is with space heater. It's currently still Winter, so temps are usually around 75F (more or less). During summer it gets hotter, so no heat requirements then.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Heating is with space heater. It's currently still Winter, so temps are usually around 75F (more or less). During summer it gets hotter, so no heat requirements then.
Ahh so not far from room temperature and how do you water them?? I could use a larger container maybe, just get more dubia I simply don’t have enough.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Ahh so not far from room temperature and how do you water them?? I could use a larger container maybe, just get more dubia I simply don’t have enough.
I just use fruits and vegetables for the water and moisture that they need. I find that oranges, tangerines, watermelon, and cucumber works best for me. Usually I prep cucumber and veggies by cutting them up and placing them in the freezer to preserve them. Then I take it out to thaw a bit before giving them to my colonies, as it allows for the fruits or veggies to retain freshness longer instead of letting it spoil in a course of a week. But to each their own and what they find that works for them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I can’t figure out why mine won’t have nymphs the temperature is close to you’rs and yet they’re not breeding despite enough male and female roaches . Should I remove the substrate???

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I can’t figure out why mine won’t have nymphs the temperature is close to you’rs and yet they’re not breeding despite enough male and female roaches . Should I remove the substrate???
I don't think the substrate is necessary to me. Pictures of them currently?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Have tried getting more dubia's for your colony?
No yet to find a decent seller with affordable prices. Only found disappointments so far . I’ve only added 10 dubia for $10 so far.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Have tried getting more dubia's for your colony?
I overpaid $10 for 10 mostly all became males . Got ripped off by a-local pet store big time . I’d rather paid $20 for 30 of them . Is this container too small ? 1FEA3B1F-2317-4FFF-A7C1-9F4DCDF6B525.jpeg 2E797AEE-6918-432A-8A59-43D14586C160.jpeg 0E246EC3-0048-4682-A3EF-FF66C34DA02E.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's really preference in terms of size of enclosure or hides. But I recommend more hides and I would be patient as well to see what happens in the next coming weeks.
What’s better egg cartons or paper towel rolls ? This is the smallest enclosure I’ve ever kept them in.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'm too sure. I would wait and see what happens.
Yeah I got what looks like first nymphs from this rebuilt colony !! I guess the heating pad is working . Over time they need more heat for some reason, used to breed room temperature for me. I’ll try and get a pic but there so tiny .

DerGraf

Arachnopeon
Great to hear it's finally happening again! :D

I would assume the size of the colony is a big factor there. Even when conditions aren't 110% perfect for breeding, as long as the colony is big enough, you'll get enough nymphs, even if they breed at reduced capacity. Once you bridged the time necessary to grow the colony to a reasonable size again, I assume you'll have bigger leniency with their conditions again.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The ones that were breeding at "room temp", is it possible they were already breeding and when you had them they were just coming out then stopped as temps were too cool in their new home?

Egg crates work great like above pics. We use mahogany leaf litter for many of our cockroach species. Works great, especially for our native sp. Use it for dubia as well. Sponge in dish for water and throw in whatever fruit from the farm (organic). Currently feeding mostly yellow eggplant. We keep ours at "room temp" which is 20C in winter and 30s in summer. They dont breed in winter so we put some enclosures on top if our vivariums and the light heat gets em back up over 30.

for some more humidity loving sp.

we might add some peat in the corner, but not for dubia.

Edit to add, I live in a pretty warm and very humid country, thus not needing to worry about humidity. So the advice depends on your climate.

Last edited: