Picky Dubias won’t eat?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I’ve tried apple cores and various different vegetables.

I found this list I’ve tried various items from it, no luck . They had water I misted /plus small water drops in the container plenty . 5542C22E-4D32-486C-994B-F447C69E3AA1.png

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I feed my feeder dubias organic blueberries they devour them.
I could try something else do I need to add substrate. could they just be worn out of living on plastic bin with paper towel rolls to climb inside ?
One roach had issues waking , kept rolling on it’s back .
If they won’t eat apple core , probably just give up on apples ?

Last edited:

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I could try something else do I need to add substrate. could they just be worn out of living on plastic bin with paper towel rolls to climb inside ?
One roach had issues waking , kept rolling on it’s back .
If they won’t eat apple core , probably just give up on apples ?
Or add egg cartons. That’s how I get them from the place I buy wholesale from. Seem to last and thrive more.

Or add egg cartons. That’s how I get them from the place I buy wholesale from. Seem to last and thrive more.
Tbh it’s kinda weird they don’t take food readily. I give them all sorts of stuff organic. Due to it being a hazard to T’s from pesticides and also because of my squirrel. I usually cut up her stuff in small cubes and throw whatever I cut for her to the dubias as well and they devour it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Tbh it’s kinda weird they don’t take food readily. I give them all sorts of stuff organic. Due to it being a hazard to T’s from pesticides and also because of my squirrel. I usually cut up her stuff in small cubes and throw whatever I cut for her to the dubias as well and they devour it.
I asked about substrate because one had trouble walking and they are acting strangely not eating . But I don’t have many left also don’t want them to burrow .?
My mom killed half my colony , and never replaced them or gave me money to buy new ones .:sad:

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I asked about substrate because one had trouble walking and they are acting strangely not eating . But I don’t have many left also don’t want them to burrow .?
My mom killed half my colony , and never replaced them or gave me money to buy new ones .:sad:
Egg cartons work they can’t borrow and soil isn’t good for them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nothing is better than that and soil isn’t recommended at all.
K they aren’t breeding or eating, 70 degrees. I’ll try other food , dog kibble any good? What odd things to try , onions any good ? They won’t eat bread.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
K they aren’t breeding or eating, 70 degrees. I’ll try other food , dog kibble any good? What odd things to try , onions any good ? They won’t eat bread.
If you want them as feeders I wouldn’t suggest feeding them junk as they will have no nutritional value for the animals you’re feeding them to. I suggest nothing but organic veggies or fruits and nothing less.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you want them as feeders I wouldn’t suggest feeding them junk as they will have no nutritional value for the animals you’re feeding them to. I suggest nothing but organic veggies or fruits and nothing less.
K I’m just trying to get them to eat something! fruits and organic veggies I’ll try only then, except apples ofc .
Maybe I’ll move them to another room , basement maybe too dark?

Should I try adding an reptile heating pad or something? Nah they will probably get cooked by it or it won’t do enough.
I saw one eating the apple core . So they are eating just no nymphs yet.

Last edited:

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
K I’m just trying to get them to eat something! fruits and organic veggies I’ll try only then, except apples ofc .
Maybe I’ll move them to another room , basement maybe too dark?

Should I try adding an reptile heating pad or something? Nah they will probably get cooked by it or it won’t do enough.
I saw one eating the apple core .
No room temperature if you say it’s 70 it should be fine I keep my room around 68-75 degrees. They like the dark. Mine are kept hidden away. And usually they’re more on the cooler temps. Anywhere in the low 70s mid 60s you’re fine. And cut food up in small pieces I just throw around 3 small cubes and they devour them within depending on what a day or two then I remove it and put fresh to avoid mold.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No room temperature if you say it’s 70 it should be fine I keep my room around 68-75 degrees. They like the dark. Mine are kept hidden away. And usually they’re more on the cooler temps. Anywhere in the low 70s mid 60s you’re fine. And cut food up in small pieces I just throw around 3 small cubes and they devour them within depending on what a day or two then I remove it and put fresh to avoid mold.
K I’ll do that ! .
Is this one just dying or something it keeps falling on its back like a turtle ? FB59D497-FB81-4C32-8893-530C9347C127.jpeg 18C7C4C7-7369-4CDC-8C27-BA3BEC39AE37.jpeg 63B8A57A-7FFC-4857-B4EB-F453A2123E42.jpeg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It’s ok to lose a few but really try the egg carton thing. It should be fine.
Does this look good ?
3rd pic is prior to egg cartons. Had more left then I thought, although I lost more like 2/3 of my total from other container that got thrown out in freezing weather by my mom and rained also .
How long til they have nymphs, any tips for that so I gotta mist more often or just keep feeding them daily ?
I don’t see any nymphs yet. 7B703239-5873-434F-AC0F-4CB4C973EF80.jpeg 0E14D928-BBF7-42C3-8826-DBE66D096428.jpeg 176F399C-19A7-4237-85E7-271A926F81B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Does this look good ?
3rd pic is prior to egg cartons. Had more left then I thought, although I lost more like 2/3 of my total from other container that got thrown out in freezing weather by my mom and rained also .
How long til they have nymphs, any tips for that so I gotta mist more often or just keep feeding them daily ?
I don’t see any nymphs yet. View attachment 435880 View attachment 435881 View attachment 435883
Remove the apple.

A nice inch thick layer of Vermiculite on the bottom.

Whole egg cartons on top of that.

Oranges for all the moisture and vitamin c, fish flake for food.

I don't understand why people buy Tropical creatures then assume everything can be kept at room temperature or below.

Up the temperature to around 80F. They like it warm.

Stop listening to advice about " room temperature will be fine"

Yes short term probably will, they are tropical species that require tropical temperatures.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Remove the apple.

A nice inch thick layer of Vermiculite on the bottom.

Whole egg cartons on top of that.

Oranges for all the moisture and vitamin c, fish flake for food.

I don't understand why people buy Tropical creatures then assume everything can be kept at room temperature or below.

Up the temperature to around 80F. They like it warm.

Stop listening to advice about " room temperature will be fine"

Yes short term probably will, they are tropical species that require tropical temperatures.
Yeah but does reptile heating pad get the job done , I’d have to place it on the bottom as I don’t have many dubia . I’d prefer the side, I had more tubes and egg cartons but they weren’t doing well too spread out .
My bedroom is a few degrees hotter I’ll try that also.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I don't use any substrate, just egg cartons laid against each other. They need warmth to breed and eat, I keep mine at 85 F using a heat pad on the side of the enclosure with a thermostat. For food, avoid anything pungent like onions. They like fresh fruits and veg like apples, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, bell pepper, bananas, berries, and much more. For the base of their diet I use a 70/30 mix of ground up dog food and oats. It takes a few weeks for the nymphs to appear, they need time to breed and gestate. I mist down the sides of the enclosure morning and night, I used to offer water gel crystals but misting is less hassle for me personally. Best of luck!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I don't use any substrate, just egg cartons laid against each other. They need warmth to breed and eat, I keep mine at 85 F using a heat pad on the side of the enclosure with a thermostat. For food, avoid anything pungent like onions. They like fresh fruits and veg like apples, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, bell pepper, bananas, berries, and much more. For the base of their diet I use a 70/30 mix of ground up dog food and oats. It takes a few weeks for the nymphs to appear, they need time to breed and gestate. I mist down the sides of the enclosure morning and night, I used to offer water gel crystals but misting is less hassle for me personally. Best of luck!
Do I need to add anything to outside of heating pad like to keep more heat inside the container ? Like aluminum foil?
obvious they-need heat if they aren’t doing well room temperature

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
Do I need to add anything to outside of heating pad like to keep more heat inside the container ? Like aluminum foil?
obvious they-need heat if they aren’t doing well room temperature
Nothing else. Just egg carton. Heating pad is a big no. They’re just roaches. Mine do fine without any of the extra crap. And I’ve had them for weeks already. Only one dead roach. The rest molted and got bigger. I don’t go all extra cuz they’re just gonna die eaten by my tarantulas.