Genus Phlogius [revalidation of the genus in prep.]

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MM P. crassipes. By the way, anyone looking for one right now?

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This guy was purchased as Phlogius sp. Sarina I was wondering if anyone could confirm that it is in fact Sarina?

Here's his enclosure I LOVE this two perfect burrow entrances and a third you cant see under the leaf on the right. So cool

And finally I know this pic is terrible but I think this is a male. What do you think? the pic looked good on the lcd on the camera but obviously it's not. Going to take another when I get home just figured I'd throw this one up since you can still see the shape

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Phlogius species can be pretty hard to ID from photos.A lot of them are quite similar looking.If you got it from a trusted dealer than I'd imagine its what its supposed to be.You may wanna try and post the pics over here:
http://www.theata.org/forum/index.php
Oh and looks like your spider is a male..Possibly pen-ultimate from looks of swollen palps.
-Chris

Last edited:

ophiophagus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you very much Syndicate. And for any of you out there who have a female I'd love to do a 50/50 when he matures. I have another smaller male as well

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Phlogius crassipes w/ eggsac. Should burst any day now:cool:

Later, Tom

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man that looks massive :X
You gonna let it hatch with the female?
Congrats btw!
-Chris

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Not sure yet, that always makes for a nice picture , but I always regret it when Im picking babies out of the dirt:cool:

Later, Tom

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Tom, yep, 300-400 odd slings is not fun in an Australasian selenocosmiine species, the deep burrows can cause all kinds of hassle. With this species, I usually allow 7 weeks with the mother, then open the cocoon and incubate from there on (postembryo or 1st instar at that stage). I find this species to be excellent mothers in captivity, and by leaving the cocoon past the embryo stage, I avoid large losses from fungus or parasites (in fact once they hit postembryo, losses are usually under 5%). This avoids all the issues with finding that many spiderlings in the mothers enclosure. They will fight you for the cocoon though, I use a spoon to distract and forceps to grab the sac (followed by a good feeding that night for the mother).

I use the same method for all Phlogius spp., in some of the smaller northern varieties (PQ113), I can get away with pulling the cocoon out at 6 weeks.

Here's a quick tip for anyone using artificial incubation (I'm not sure if anyone else is doing this or not): in the subtrate used for incubation, add several drops of aquarium fungicide, it can make a HUGE difference to successful yields.

Steve

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

This guy was purchased as Phlogius sp. Sarina I was wondering if anyone could confirm that it is in fact Sarina?
Yes, it certainly looks like a young male Sarina. Unless the buyer got the lables confused, this will absolutely be that species.

Steve

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
in the subtrate used for incubation, add several drops of aquarium fungicide, it can make a HUGE difference to successful yields.

Steve
Wow that is a pretty good idea Steve!Would of never thought about something like that.
Your right about those big eggsacks to!I had the pleasure of spending about 3-4 hours picking out about 300+ crassipes slings when I got my first eggsack hehe!
-Chris

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thanks for the info Steve, and think you and Chris convinced me to pull it. :cool:

Later, Tom

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow great thread,i have quite a few phlogius sp.currently and agree with"hard to tell em apart"congrats on all the sacs.
cant believe the males last so long..(very happy they do though)
i will have to get some pics,but most of mine are definitely pet holes..
i hope to grab a few more soon,and maybe attempt to sex the ones i have currently(goliaths,sarina,and crassipes...wish i would have grabbed some pq113's)
andy

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks Tom!How did your crassipes sack turn out?
Let me know if you want some stents slings!
-Chris

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Hey Chris my crassipes sac is 2nd instar now, no idea how many though cause I haven't separated them yet. I've also got a "Eunice" & another PQ113 sac. I have a female "stents", I wouldnt mind raising a few, for future males.

Later, Tom