Philth's non-theraphosid mygalomorph and true spider photo thread.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
@Philth what would you recommend for starter large true spiders, like Heteropoda? I'm very interested in them, but short lifespans and blinding speed worry me.
Heteropoda venatoria or one f the variants is usually the go to starter spider. They are cheap, common, easy to find, and will give a good feel for their speed and flightiness.

Later, Tom

Ran

Arachnoknight
Earlier was an amazing molt Tom! I also have a question for you that you may or may not know...what size do Diplura species Sanguinea get to be? Picked one up from Joe R. awhile back and I believe it's a she and she is currently a little over 2" now.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Earlier was an amazing molt Tom! I also have a question for you that you may or may not know...what size do Diplura species Sanguinea get to be? Picked one up from Joe R. awhile back and I believe it's a she and she is currently a little over 2" now.
From what I understand there is no real Diplura sanguinea in the hobby. I also have some from Joe, and the male is about 2 inches mature, so I wouldn't expect females to be much bigger then 3 inches. I would assume the ones Joe was selling are the same as what the is being called Diplura sp."Rurrenbaque" over sea's. Not sure why names change when they cross the ocean, but it happens. Pictures of Diplura sanguinea and Diplura sp."Rurrenbaque" spermatheca can be be seen here in the provided link and are significantly different. . Bastian Drolshagen is the authority on Dipluridae.

http://dipluridae.de/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Diplura

Ran

Arachnoknight
Thank you Tom for all the info! Good to know it's real origins. I will keep you up to date on this hopefully a lady! Checked link...big difference in the spermathecae! Thank you again :). One more question, I have a L. fallax female that is very close to 5"...they get larger than this? You are definitely the Mygalamorph expert!

nieksluys

Arachnopeon
Stunning pictures again Tom, and a stunning collection.

as for your Deinopis, it definetly needs another molt, my mature male looked alot different, they grow huge, as do the pedipalps.

good luck with the breeding attempts.

regards,

Niek

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I always find myself perusing your threads whenever I have extra money on hand....you need to breed more Ctenidae and Sparassidae, I can't find many for sale anymore haha.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
@Philth what would you recommend for starter large true spiders, like Heteropoda? I'm very interested in them, but short lifespans and blinding speed worry me.
Heteropda venatoria is the usually go to starter huntsman spider. Cheap and easy to find. Your best bet is to get one well started though, as the tiny babies can be fragile in any species and usually require small feeders like fruit flies in the beginning. They grow fast though. Don't be turned off by their shorter life spans though. I've had females live up to 2.5 years. They are super fast though. I always say a slow huntsman will make your fastest tarantula look slow lol.

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Macrothele gigas

Linothele sp. "Panama"

Phoneutria fera adult female

Piloctenus haematostoma

Holconia murrayensis ( I believe these are they same as what was sold as H. immanis earlier in this thread)

Heteropoda pingtungensis

Macrothele holsti
mature male (I was calling them M. taiwanensis earlier in this thread but beileve that is incorrect)

Latrodectus hasselti

Latrodectus pallidus

Sparassidae sp. Indonesia-Flores mature male ( Likely Heteropoda )

Sparassidae
sp. Indonesia-Flores female ( Likely Heteropoda )

Barylestis scutatus

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I was under the impression that holconia immanis had darker bands. Maybe I'm mistaken
No I believe you are right. At the time I posted them that's what they were being traded as here in the U.S. I believe the 3 spiders sold here in the U.S. under the names H. immanis, H. insignis and H. murrayensis are likely all the same thing.

Later, Tom

Arachnea

Arachnopeon
where do you purchase your spiders? Or even better, do you have a website I could purchase some of your slings from?