Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Petco employees can't keep hamsters and rats alive - let alone tarantulas. And a huge part of this scenario is the fact that there is some breeder out there who is lacking so few ethics that they would even consider entering into a partnership with a petstore chain with the reputation that Petco has. Shameful!
But, in the end, it is all about money and not ethics.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
The supplier was named earlier in the thread. Post #179, page 9.

These things are being distributed by Vista Pet which is a division of LLL Reptile. So feel free not do to business with them as well.

Later, Tom

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I think contacting LLL reptile and talking with Loren is a great idea. I believe he is still the owner and may possibly see the problem in this if money isn't clouding his judgment . He's always been a pretty cool guy. I will give it a go, see if I can contact him.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
Oh god. Based on everything I've seen at Petco stores this will be a disaster. Their associates don't have the knowledge nor do they convey it to a prospective customer. Someone is gonna get hurt....ugh, start collecting your pokies and baboons now before they are outlawed. Smh.

SpiderVooDoo

Arachnopeon
Im in agreement, Some of these have some nasty bites. I hope in my heart of hearts that petco does train their workers but I think yall are right, its going to be heres your spider over priced crap have a nice day...part of me likes the idea that it could open more people to tarantulas, at the same time I am nervous, as previously mentioned, lawsuits will happen and worst scenario laws are passed banning these beautiful neat and wonderful animals

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Well I got an update from PetCo. I'll be doing a conference call with "Management" to address my concerns. Yay.
I wish they'd call me lol i emailed and offered to freelance in my free time talking to the employess/customers. Amending caresheets etc

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I wish they'd call me lol i emailed and offered to freelance in my free time talking to the employess/customers. Amending caresheets etc
You need to read my earlier post concerning this . They won't allow outside parties to train their employees and if you give someone advice and they are injured then up could be deemed responsible and face possible litigation . Things are different when talking here in the boards but face to face or verbal conversations make you liable . Best thing to do is to direct new keepers to the boards . According to my lawyer it is implied that information gained over the internet comes with a grain of salt and it's very difficult to drag someone into court based on what they read in a bulletin board such as the Arachnoboards . When you present yourself as an educator or expert trainer then you have to accept the legal responsibility . Tread lightly my friend , your good intentions could end up costing you everything that you own .

Abyss

Arachnoknight
You need to read my earlier post concerning this . They won't allow outside parties to train their employees and if you give someone advice and they are injured then up could be deemed responsible and face possible litigation . Things are different when talking here in the boards but face to face or verbal conversations make you liable . Best thing to do is to direct new keepers to the boards . According to my lawyer it is implied that information gained over the internet comes with a grain of salt and it's very difficult to drag someone into court based on what they read in a bulletin board such as the Arachnoboards . When you present yourself as an educator or expert trainer then you have to accept the legal responsibility . Tread lightly my friend , your good intentions could end up costing you everything that you own .
Take a deep breath, i do NOT need to read your earlier post lol (i prob read it along with reading the others already anyway lol). I said i offered to help in any way i could and i will. Obviously, for them to accept help, i would ultimatly need to be on the payroll in some way due to liabilitys even if i bounced from store to store but i figured that was implied in my post. Sorry if you didnt catch that an thought i was gonna run i to the stores and freely attempt to correct ppl lol

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Take a deep breath, i do NOT need to read your earlier post lol (i prob read it along with reading the others already anyway lol). I said i offered to help in any way i could and i will. Obviously, for them to accept help, i would ultimatly need to be on the payroll in some way due to liabilitys even if i bounced from store to store but i figured that was implied in my post. Sorry if you didnt catch that an thought i was gonna run i to the stores and freely attempt to correct ppl lol
Nothing was implied in your post what you said was . . .

i emailed and offered to freelance in my free time talking to the employess/customers.

I'm sorry for offering the advice .

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Nothing was implies in your post what you said was . . .

I'm sorry for offering then advice .
No need to be sorry. The advice is appreciated (although unsolicited lol) i never suggested i would do anything foolish tho as i said. Freelance is a paying gig (like a consult) haha so they'd still assume the liability as they are currently prepaired to do it seems. The difference is that they'd be passing on much better i fo then whatever they currently plan to hand out with the T's and their employee's/customers would all be in a better poition for it but again, thats if they'd spring for such a consultant service haha

ao4649

Arachnopeon
You have to be at least 18 to buy the animals from them.
unfortunately this is untrue. im not sure if this is a local thing or universal but i know my petco does not card or even ask for the customers age when buying a tarantula nor do they ask for parental consent (whereas you need either ID or a parent to handle a ball python)

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
unfortunately this is untrue. im not sure if this is a local thing or universal but i know my petco does not card or even ask for the customers age when buying a tarantula nor do they ask for parental consent (whereas you need either ID or a parent to handle a ball python)
Enforcement and policy may differ. The paperwork a buyer signs says that you have to be 18. If someone under 18 signs, they're lying.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
So Petco is now offering 25 species... all captive bred, announced today.

So what are your thoughts, rants, death threats, etc.?

link:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...to-include-25-different-breeds-300259058.html

here is the list:
Temperate Tarantulas:

• Chaco Golden Knee
  • Costa Rican Stripe-Knee
  • Haitian Brown
  • Mexican Curly Hair
  • Mexican Red Leg
  • Mexican Red Rump
  • Oklahoma Brown
  • Texas Tan
  • Mozambique Golden Baboon
  • Rear Horned Baboon
  • Usumbara Orange Baboon
  • Rose Hair
Tropical Tarantula:

• Brazilian Black & White
  • Brazilian Giant Salmon
  • Brazilian Giant White Knee
  • Brazilian Red & White
  • Brazilian White Banded
  • Costa Rican Tiger Rump
  • Guyana Pink Toe
  • Indian Ornamental
  • Ivory Ornamental
  • King Baboon
  • Mysore Ornamental
  • Trinidad Chevron
  • Venezuelan Sun Tiger
Buy as many as you can. My experience with Petco is that they lack employees with the knowledge and experience to properly care for them. The majority of the people they hire are often "afraid" of them. The Tarantulas will be in much better hands with people like us. So I vote go on a spending spree!!! :)

Casey K

Arachnoknight
I'm already going to my local petco to do volunteer work to educate employees about these spiders, and be the guy who cares for them if possible, to ensure people don't mess this hobby up.
That's very awesome!!! I give you your props because that is EXACTLY what Petco needs! Not just Petco but many pet stores that offer Tarantulas, scorps, and centipedes....other Inverts. It would be nice to have anyone volunteer to help educate.

Casey K

Arachnoknight
This legitimately makes me worried. They're selling some nasty species, and don't even have the mindset to include proper names. I'd like to hope that they'll hire/train someone in these creatures, but I will be shocked if they do. A kid is going to want that beautiful orange P. murinus, a kid is going to get bit trying to handle it, and a kid will be sent to a hospital. The media will attack Petco for not properly training their associates, and then the rage will be directed towards the animals themselves. I might be blowing this out of proportion, but I'm quite scared of the consequences of this.

I'm not kidding about this at all. We should write letters to Petco, it's about all we can do. Not asking them to cease selling these creatures, but rather pleading them to do proper training. I know I'm going to, but unfortunately one person doesn't have much of a voice.
I agree. It's like the whole thing with pit bulls and the media painting a horrible picture of the entire breed, itself all due to attacks from individual ones that were fought, abused, neglected, etc....once the media gets a hold of one or two bite reports (heaven forbid), that's EXACTLY what's going to happen with T's and pretty soon they will do what they do with pit bulls. Anyone will be banned from selling/owning them in certain cities and certain states. It's terrible.