Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by gypsy cola, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ao4649

ao4649 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    if only there was a way of ensuring a persons age... perhaps a government issued photographic card, conveniently placed in the individuals wallet for identification... an id card, if you will

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

Yeah, so like I said, policy and enforcement may differ. If someone wants to lie that's their business. I don't expect Petco to card every customer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

@cold blood I anticipated you with "Homer" reference this time :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. gottarantulas

gottarantulas Arachnoknight Old Timer

Wait a minute! They're willing to sell OBTs and Pokies to kids (albeit in the company and with the permission of a parent that in all probability isn't versed in the various species of tarantulas, not realizing that their son or daughter will probably at some point try to handle said tarantula, putting said child in a compromised position) but won't sell mice (for the purpose of food) to grown adults because it violates their ethics policy. Hmmmmm!

5. Toxoderidae

Toxoderidae Arachnoprince

Please read through the thread. They said they would not be selling them after viper69, I, and many others spoke to Petco about this.

6. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

That's PetSmart. Petco will sell live feeders.

7. ao4649

ao4649 Arachnopeon

you completely missed my point. im saying i DO expect petco to card every customer.

8. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

Yeah, I got that. I don't. It's their policy, not a law.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I bet Petsmart employees eat chicken and fish though!

10. Seriously? That is amazing! It is nearly impossible to get through to large chains about their policies.
    Was fine before,but that makes me very proud to be a member of this forum.
    Good Job!

11. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

I don't. PetSmart sells frozen rodents, though.

12. viper69

I don't understand their business practice of not selling live feeders. Do you know who or how it came about?

13. viper69

Yes seriously. I put myself in contact with Petco Corporate and had a discussion with them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

Not really, no. They didn't carry snakes for a long time, but had frozen feeder rodents. Their mice and rats are all "fancy" and patterned and cost significantly more, but if someone wants to spend $7 on a feeder mouse, I figure that's their problem. I will say it's generally much safer for the snake to feed frozen, but there are some odd snakes that just won't take to thawed prey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AshLee

AshLee Arachnopeon

I went through several pages but couldn't seem to locate the messages detailing this, I would have enjoyed reading over them. Either way, thank you very much for conveying the news and for your contribution.

16. viper69

I thought frozen would be great many years ago, esp the convenience of it and the PRICE! The first time I thawed out a mouse was my last. I only do pre-killed.

17. viper69

Ash, look for my other thread on this, named something like Petco Call Update, you'll see all the details.

18. Thistles

Thistles Arachnobroad

Huh. I do frozen with no issues. Ah well.

@AshLee, there was another thread on this topic. It might be there.

19. viper69

It smelled like no other earthly thing after thawing out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AshLee

AshLee Arachnopeon

Kind thanks to both of you.

How did you thaw it? Did you use warm water, just leave it sitting out, or something else? I would just let mine soak in warm water for a few minutes to thaw out, then I'd towel them off. There was never a smell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.