Petco... Now offering 25 species of tarantulas. Thoughts and rants

ao4649

Arachnopeon
Enforcement and policy may differ. The paperwork a buyer signs says that you have to be 18. If someone under 18 signs, they're lying.
if only there was a way of ensuring a persons age... perhaps a government issued photographic card, conveniently placed in the individuals wallet for identification... an id card, if you will

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
if only there was a way of ensuring a persons age... perhaps a government issued photographic card, conveniently placed in the individuals wallet for identification... an id card, if you will
Yeah, so like I said, policy and enforcement may differ. If someone wants to lie that's their business. I don't expect Petco to card every customer.

gottarantulas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wait a minute! They're willing to sell OBTs and Pokies to kids (albeit in the company and with the permission of a parent that in all probability isn't versed in the various species of tarantulas, not realizing that their son or daughter will probably at some point try to handle said tarantula, putting said child in a compromised position) but won't sell mice (for the purpose of food) to grown adults because it violates their ethics policy. Hmmmmm!

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Wait a minute! They're willing to sell OBTs and Pokies to kids (albeit in the company and with the permission of a parent that in all probability isn't versed in the various species of tarantulas, not realizing that their son or daughter will probably at some point try to handle said tarantula, putting said child in a compromised position) but won't sell mice (for the purpose of food) to grown adults because it violates their ethics policy. Hmmmmm!
Please read through the thread. They said they would not be selling them after viper69, I, and many others spoke to Petco about this.

ao4649

Arachnopeon
Yeah, so like I said, policy and enforcement may differ. If someone wants to lie that's their business. I don't expect Petco to card every customer.
you completely missed my point. im saying i DO expect petco to card every customer.

Rogerpoco

Arachnopeon
Please read through the thread. They said they would not be selling them after viper69, I, and many others spoke to Petco about this.
Seriously? That is amazing! It is nearly impossible to get through to large chains about their policies.
Was fine before,but that makes me very proud to be a member of this forum.
Good Job!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seriously? That is amazing! It is nearly impossible to get through to large chains about their policies.
Was fine before,but that makes me very proud to be a member of this forum.
Good Job!
Yes seriously. I put myself in contact with Petco Corporate and had a discussion with them.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I don't understand their business practice of not selling live feeders. Do you know who or how it came about?
Not really, no. They didn't carry snakes for a long time, but had frozen feeder rodents. Their mice and rats are all "fancy" and patterned and cost significantly more, but if someone wants to spend $7 on a feeder mouse, I figure that's their problem. I will say it's generally much safer for the snake to feed frozen, but there are some odd snakes that just won't take to thawed prey.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
I went through several pages but couldn't seem to locate the messages detailing this, I would have enjoyed reading over them. Either way, thank you very much for conveying the news and for your contribution.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not really, no. They didn't carry snakes for a long time, but had frozen feeder rodents. Their mice and rats are all "fancy" and patterned and cost significantly more, but if someone wants to spend $7 on a feeder mouse, I figure that's their problem. I will say it's generally much safer for the snake to feed frozen, but there are some odd snakes that just won't take to thawed prey.
I thought frozen would be great many years ago, esp the convenience of it and the PRICE! The first time I thawed out a mouse was my last. I only do pre-killed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I went through several pages but couldn't seem to locate the messages detailing this, I would have enjoyed reading over them. Either way, thank you very much for conveying the news and for your contribution.

Ash, look for my other thread on this, named something like Petco Call Update, you'll see all the details.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I thought frozen would be great many years ago, esp the convenience of it and the PRICE! The first time I thawed out a mouse was my last. I only do pre-killed.
Huh. I do frozen with no issues. Ah well.

@AshLee, there was another thread on this topic. It might be there.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Ash, look for my other thread on this, named something like Petco Call Update, you'll see all the details.
Huh. I do frozen with no issues. Ah well.

@AshLee, there was another thread on this topic. It might be there.
Kind thanks to both of you.

It smelled like no other earthly thing after thawing out.
How did you thaw it? Did you use warm water, just leave it sitting out, or something else? I would just let mine soak in warm water for a few minutes to thaw out, then I'd towel them off. There was never a smell.