Petco fail

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Agreed on this topic . May I humbly suggest that the first rule of Arachnoboards be that no one talks about Petco . The second rule of the Arachnoboards is that no one talks about Petco . And that the third rule of the Arachnoboards be that we all know that his name was Robert Paulson . And if you forget these rules you're gonna get a lead salad !!
Even after Googling it, i have no idea who or what Robert Paulson is...some sort of show-character?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
For a long while my local Petco had a larger Psalm. irminia in a setup with almost no substrate and a half cylinder for its hide. I never could see the T on any visit to the store but could see a little webbing on the half cylinder. It finally disappeared. I haven't seen any large T's lately (just those stupid bottles in the aquarium enclosure. My local Petco has one guy that actually owns T's and does know their scientific names, but that still doesn't fix the bad husbandry.

I do like to buy their crickets while I am still trying to figure out on breeding my own prey.

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Even after Googling it, i have no idea who or what Robert Paulson is...some sort of show-character?
Fight Club (1999) . Robert Paulson is a character . It would take too long to explain it here . The joke was that members aren't suppose to talk about Fight Club but they all do all the time , much like the never ending talk about Petco .

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
I just got my A. Avic from petco, she came in a tarantula hut and has a 2 1/2in legspan. Employee also said that she could stay in there for another month or so :c
poor baby.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just got my A. Avic from petco, she came in a tarantula hut and has a 6' legspan. Employee also said that she could stay in there for another month or so :c
poor baby.
I sure wish I could get any spider with a 6' legspan. I'd ride it to work every day and let it feed on children that get too close to me.

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
I sure wish I could get any spider with a 6' legspan. I'd ride it to work every day and let it feed on children that get too close to me.
LOL. typo on my part. of course i meant 2 1/2 inches but ya know.

Last edited:

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Checking the Petco website because I have a coupon for some eco earth and I stumble upon this...
http://about.petco.com/2016-04-28-Petco-Expands-Tarantula-Offerings-to-Include-25-Different-Breeds

This is the list of available Ts Petco is now stocking. :banghead:
Had to do some Googling to figure out the common names for some of these but look at the Ts that some poor unsuspecting child will be inevitably taking home...

(From their website):

Temperate Tarantulas:
  • Chaco Golden Knee
  • Costa Rican Stripe-Knee
  • Haitian Brown
  • Mexican Curly Hair
  • Mexican Red Leg
  • Mexican Red Rump
  • Oklahoma Brown
  • Texas Tan
  • Mozambique Golden Baboon (A ezendami)
  • Rear Horned Baboon (C darlingi)
  • Usumbara Orange Baboon (P murinus)
  • Rose Hair
Tropical Tarantula:
  • Brazilian Black & White
  • Brazilian Giant Salmon
  • Brazilian Giant White Knee
  • Brazilian Red & White
  • Brazilian White Banded
  • Costa Rican Tiger Rump
  • Guyana Pink Toe
  • Indian Ornamental (P regalis)
  • Ivory Ornamental (P subfusca)
  • King Baboon (P muticus)
  • Mysore Ornamental (P striata)
  • Trinidad Chevron (P cambridgei)
  • Venezuelan Sun Tiger (P irminia)
No Way...Seriously....PETCO!!!! I surely would not buy a tarantula from there let alone any pet store for that. I remember one night me and my ex-husband was walking through a Petco store and my ex found a baby red tail boa lose curled up besides some boxes. To tell you the truth, none of the reptiles looked healthy and I wished I could have helped them all, but this little guy obviously got lose from his enclosure because of poor management and having young staff members that didn't care how they did their job. My ex put the boa in his pocket and took him home. With in 1-2 weeks the boa had died. Then a month later my best friend was walking around Petco and found a crested gecko on the wall. She rescued it and took it home. After getting the gecko home she found it to be very sick, but luckily she is a gecko addict and knew how to bring it back to good health. It's still living today and that was 7 years ago.
When I later went back to Petco to buy some pet food about 2 mouths ago, I curiously walked over to the reptiles and saw a staff member cleaning out a leopard geckos enclosure and was holding the gecko by its tail as he cleaned the dirt out of the enclosure. BY ITS TAIL!!!!
I was pissed off and had to say something to the manager at that point! The manager looked all about 12 years old and had a very negative attitude. Frankly, it was a waste of my time trying to have a conversation with him and could not believe he was hired as a role model figure such as a manager...
Now this is why I will only buy my reptiles and tarantulas from well know breeders. In my opinion, a pet store is a place to buy pet food or supplies and not living creatures. BUT like I said that is just my opinion!!

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well praise you @viper69 for being a responsible leader with your employees. There needs to be more people like that who walk in the shoes of management. We do need to speak up more and made our voices heard !!
Hello @MeAndMyRosie I believe there is confusion on your part. I'm not a manager of employees. I am simply a concerned, private citizen who contacted Petco corporate and expressed my concerns to the specific people in charge at their headquarters.

Too many people here in the USA think one voice can't make a difference, or that people will not be heard unless threats, intimidation or outright violence is used. Neither is true nor useful.

Last edited:

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Hello @MeAndMyRosie I believe there is confusion on your part. I'm not a manager of employees. I am simply a concerned, private citizen who contacted Petco corporate and expressed my concerns to the specific people in charge at their headquarters.

Too many people here in the USA think one voice can't make a difference, or that people will not be heard unless threats, intimidation or outright violence is used. Neither is true nor useful.
Sorry about that @viper69 - I did misunderstand what I read, but still good for you for speaking up! And yes, it does take more than just one voice..

doodledog

Arachnopeon
It's funny that I stumbled upon this older thread now, as I was reading on MSN Online that an 11yr old boy just died from rat bite fever from a rat purchased at a Petco. The rat never bit him, he just handled it, which I understand is a way to transmit the illness as well. I guess the parents are suing Petco now. But since Petco is well lawyered-up, they will most likely blame the buyers, stating that they signed an agreement and should have read the dangers...yada, yada, yada....

On another note, they ARE selling T's. They are doing it by me, and I'm in 'burb near Cleveland, OH. Last time I checked their inventory, they had Chilean Rose Hairs, Mexican Red Knees, and Pink Toes....one of their cashiers was going off on how she wanted to buy a Pink Toe for a 1st T and was just going to snatch one up (which wouldn't be super bad or anything), but she knew nothing, nada, zip about T's and as a beginner myself, I didn't feel I could educate her enough atm, but I did offer her what l could in the way of advice....I hope she took it!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's funny that I stumbled upon this older thread now, as I was reading on MSN Online that an 11yr old boy just died from rat bite fever from a rat purchased at a Petco. The rat never bit him, he just handled it, which I understand is a way to transmit the illness as well. I guess the parents are suing Petco now. But since Petco is well lawyered-up, they will most likely blame the buyers, stating that they signed an agreement and should have read the dangers...yada, yada, yada....

On another note, they ARE selling T's. They are doing it by me, and I'm in 'burb near Cleveland, OH. Last time I checked their inventory, they had Chilean Rose Hairs, Mexican Red Knees, and Pink Toes....one of their cashiers was going off on how she wanted to buy a Pink Toe for a 1st T and was just going to snatch one up (which wouldn't be super bad or anything), but she knew nothing, nada, zip about T's and as a beginner myself, I didn't feel I could educate her enough atm, but I did offer her what l could in the way of advice....I hope she took it!!
I hope your advice was to visit the site here and ask questions.