Peru Field Pics: If you have a slow connection don't open this. 200+ Pics!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where in Peru were you?

My hubby & I stayed in the Colca canyon in the mountains (very high altitude), and it seemed oddly devoid of animal life. This was our honeymoon trip, though, so I didn't specifically go looking, but we hiked a bit & spent much of our time outdoors. I should note that this trip happened *before* I had a real interest in tarantulas (otherwise he wouldn't have married me,:laugh: jk...sort of ). Arequipa was the closest bigger city. The landscape was similar to that seen in the alpaca (or was it a llama?) pic. It was so quiet in the mountains--only a few insects (flies, gnats) & birds (looked similar to robins; one particular area had condors). We didn't see any small native mammals at all!!

I'm guessing you were in the rain-forest-y part of the country, lol...looks like it's teeming with life! Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and I'm vegetarian, but Aaron tried whatever meat he could get. He had the same reaction you did--he said the guinea pig was disgusting & he wouldn't eat it again. We were in an awesome restaurant at the time. Must be an acquired taste?

Did you have a few pisco sours? We definitely enjoyed them... and there were some really delicious red/purple maize drinks that for the life of me I can't remember their name. The helado queso was amazing, too!

Lovely country--I would love to go back someday.

Jeni
Most the time was spent off Rio Tambopata and Madre de Dios. We did do the tourist thing toward the end in the mountains. I'm down to try Guinea pig again. Everyone I've talked to says I just went to the wrong place. Next time I'll be a bit more selective.

Same as Martin, amazing that you could spot a wild Jaguar ! Pretty impressive.
Just curious, what research are you doing?

Pato
The jaguar was the perfect example of the right place at the right time. If the tourists staying at the lodges didn't spot it while looking for caiman, we would not have seen it.

My research focuses on deciphering the phylogenetic relationships of Tettigoniidae (katydids and bush-crickets) using molecular data.

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A-ha! Here's a blattodean! :p

The scientific name is on the tip of my tongue but I've seen them called "bowhead roaches."
*Edit- Capucina patula ! :p

LovePets

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definitely one of the most amazing threads I've ever seen.:drool:
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us,can't wait to go on the field!{D

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would HAVE to find a way to smuggle one of those beautiful Ts across the border!

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most the time was spent off Rio Tambopata and Madre de Dios. We did do the tourist thing toward the end in the mountains. I'm down to try Guinea pig again. Everyone I've talked to says I just went to the wrong place. Next time I'll be a bit more selective.

The jaguar was the perfect example of the right place at the right time. If the tourists staying at the lodges didn't spot it while looking for caiman, we would not have seen it.

My research focuses on deciphering the phylogenetic relationships of Tettigoniidae (katydids and bush-crickets) using molecular data.
Excellent ! It's a dream I've had many times... hopefully some day I will be lucky!
Interesting about your research, I wish you best luck !

Pato

edit. wait, I must ask, what was the Jaguar behavior?

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Excellent ! It's a dream I've had many times... hopefully some day I will be lucky!
Interesting about your research, I wish you best luck !

Pato

edit. wait, I must ask, what was the Jaguar behavior?
It was quite shy. After a few pictures it walked further from the shore (we were in a boat in the river) and walked into the bushes.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Old thread, but wow man, nice diversity in katydids! really cool! The area you were in is fantastic! I have a friend who owns a tourism/ export company in puerto maldonado. I have moved to Peru about 3 months ago and he asked me if I would want to give tours for him... so I may have the chance to thoroughly explore this area for quite some time. These pictures give me a good idea what I have to look forward to! thanks!

Josh