Peru Field Pics: If you have a slow connection don't open this. 200+ Pics!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Inverts:

Ever been mooned by a katydid?

This one has had better days:

Just thought I'd sneak a vertebrate into this thread since it had a cricket crawling on it.

A very impressive bee mimic moth

These litte guys would crawl as a single unit until you broke them apart. Then they regroup and continue moving as one unit.

A couple wasp mimic katydids

Mammals:

Cuy (guinea pig): Not as delicious as it looks.

Birds:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
those are some amazing pics...i love that giant water bug, have always wanted one..thanks for sharing.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Goldmine, thanks for sharing!

Did you eat the rodent?

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Goldmine, thanks for sharing!

Did you eat the rodent?
Regretfully yes. They said it was a delicacy. From talking with others, it sounds like mine wasn't prepared well. It tasted like burned hair and football leather....at least what I imagine those in combination would taste like.

moloch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, you found so much. Lots of interesting animals. I loved the shot of this well disguised cat:

This butterfly was just amazing. I am guessing that it must be one of the Rhiodinids (metalmarks). I will see if I can find it.

Regards,
David

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
This is sooo cool! I would love to visit Peru one day to take these many photos! The one scorpion was amazing, so many Ts, not enough scorps :}. The water bug was so huge, everything there compared to ur hand is humongous! Btw are u sure a wasp would mimics a katydid? I dun see how it would bnenefit haha {D.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is sooo cool! I would love to visit Peru one day to take these many photos! The one scorpion was amazing, so many Ts, not enough scorps :}. The water bug was so huge, everything there compared to ur hand is humongous! Btw are u sure a wasp would mimics a katydid? I dun see how it would bnenefit haha {D.
I had to check my wording on that one to make sure I put a wasp-mimic katydid not a katydid mimic wasp. :) The wasp mimics are amazing. They're supposed to mimic a wasp's flight as well. They look a lot like a pompilid until you get close enough to realize that they're a tettigoniid. We cheated as the males come to MV lamps so I came back to camp and another had picked these off the screen for me.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
They look really cool either way haha! Did u encounter anymore scorpions there? There is also a pic of the wasp on the leaf with many 'spikes' protruding out, that is a type of fungus right? They are really interesting, but dangerous to insects...

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They look really cool either way haha! Did u encounter anymore scorpions there? There is also a pic of the wasp on the leaf with many 'spikes' protruding out, that is a type of fungus right? They are really interesting, but dangerous to insects...
Just the one scorpion. I wasn't searching very hard for them though. That one was found in close proximity to the Cyriocosmus sp. above. They were sharing a log along with numerous beetles, crickets, millipedes, and other inverts. The wasp on the leaf has fallen victim to a fungus that causes it to climb, latch on, and work as a method for spreading spores of the fungus. I've found grasshoppers at the early stages of this infection where a perfectly looking grasshopper looks to be hugging a blade of grass and holding on for dear life.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
amazing selection! Crazy that you caught a jaguar on picture, that is great!

Although I disliked the handling pictures, I still enjoyed seeing the glass wing buterfly.

Martin

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
amazing selection! Crazy that you caught a jaguar on picture, that is great!

Although I disliked the handling pictures, I still enjoyed seeing the glass wing buterfly.

Martin
Perhaps I should put a disclaimer next time warning that hands may be present in the photos. :)

If I were just sight seeing I would have tried to photograph them in natural settings as I prefer them that way as well. On this trip I was collecting for my research and I didn't want to risk losing the insect solely for the aesthetic quality of a photograph.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like fun indeed! trip to South America is on my bucket list
I like the caterpillar look like bird pooh : awesome!
on and bat! that's just great :D

Thank you for sharing!