Perfect T Enclosure

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you are looking for a cheap enclosure that is well ventilated for a terrestrial T species that doesn't need high humidity, check out Lee's Reptile Ranch - Rectangular Small- Cat.No. 20050.

It is 13" long x 7.5" wide x 5" high (6" high with lid). It is a shoe box shaped "petpal" with ventilation slits in the plastic sides as well as the lid. ($10, with lid included).

My Brazilian Black, G. pulchra , stopped eating and was filling in her water dish daily in a tank that I think didn't have proper ventilation for her. Now she is eating, not burying her water dish, and is more active.

If you have an enclosure that is collecting condensation for a T species that doesn't need high humidity, you might consider this $10 setup.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and now back to our regularly scheduled program.......

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You Can pick up the same thing at walmart for about $7.00.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know, there exists an off-shoot chance that he was just trying to be helpful.

He might not be as bad as Coca Cola convincing villages in South America Coca-cola is better than water.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think so too. Folks seem to be mighty sensitive around here lately. Not that I haven't been there myself.
Lighten up folks, we originally got into this stuff because it's s'posed to be fun right?

For tiny s'lings I feel the best deal you can get is to just go to the supermarket deli and ask them for the smallest sized deli cups. They always give them to me for free. For larger ones, the re-usable ziploc containers are excellent, and very inexpensive. They can even be decorated quite nicely.
The ones suggested above could work very well too.

Atrax

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Deli-here deli-there,
For talk like this I need no ear.

Gonna go sling-enclosure-huntin' tomorrow though. Whatever that has to do with anything.

Well, Mebebraz might have been joking, but without a smiley I am very sure there was a hint of corporeality in those words.
And the poster after him certainly had critisism. So my post was justified.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
....................=D :} :p ;) :) :D ....:rolleyes: yes i was joking, i get them at biglots

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Deli-here deli-there,
For talk like this I need no ear.

Gonna go sling-enclosure-huntin' tomorrow though. Whatever that has to do with anything.

Well, Mebebraz might have been joking, but without a smiley I am very sure there was a hint of corporeality in those words.
And the poster after him certainly had critisism. So my post was justified.
Aww, you having a bad day Vys? If so, I hope it gets better dude! :)

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, Vys, I'm not too clear as to your meaning about the deli thing. Is there some reason that they are not adequate? I've been using them for my smallest s'lings for some time with no problems whatsoever but if there's something I missed...:?

Atrax

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I meant no criticism by my post. Just another suggestion as to where to find them. I didn't know that smileys were manditory on posts. No offence intended Prof. T

MORBIUS=D =D =D :} :} :?

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a couple of those, and the ventilation slots in the sides are useful, especially for those with so many spiders that most get their lids stacked on top of.

Adrian

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by MORBIUS
You Can pick up the same thing at walmart for about $7.00.
Your Wal-Mart beat our PetLand by $3, that doesn't surprise me. Our Wal-Mart doesn't carry that size. In fact, I've never seen the shoe box sized plastic enclosure before I found this at PetLand. I got excited because it was exactly what I was looking for, and it worked great.

I'm sure its not a post that will be exciting to everyone, but I wanted to share that the Reptile Ranch has great ventilation for those having similar problems that I experienced with my G. pulchra .

I am totally not offended by any of the above joking.

Disclaimer:
This is not an advertisement for Wal-Mart, PetLand, or Lee's Aquarium & Pet Products

www.leesaqpet.com

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oooh, for what it's worth, your mindsets are all different than mine then. Whicheverr, I wasn't having a particularly bad day really, still am not :) Just that the two responses after his first one were a bit crude and unhelpful and just unsympathetic in my eyes. Kind of unneccesary.

About the deli thing, I don't know what they are, or if they have any relatives here. I shall have to find out though.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Professor T
If you are looking for a cheap enclosure that is well ventilated for a terrestrial T species that doesn't need high humidity, check out Lee's Reptile Ranch -

I use the large model to keep my crickets in.
Its perfect. I can keep over 100 large cricket and a bunch of small ones in there. Theres enough room that the crickets can hide from each other, so the smallone don't get killed by the big one's.
I'd say i get maybe 1% die off. Thats not bad.

Ernie

BTW, there's over 100 crickets in there now.

Attachments

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you know, my walmart must be ultra-friggin' lame b/c i've looked and never found those there...huh.

oh well, i got some that weren't too much from my local pet store, kritter keepers, not exactly like that. just a slotted lid with a plastic opening inset that locks down. different colored lids for different sizes, etc. i LOVE them. they are lightweight, well-ventilated, awesome. n/m they're also cheap.

now, 10g aquariums here are $6 but when you take into account the size of them, the fact that i have no Ts larger than 3" and their weight...blargh.

i'm using little rubbermaid containers with nail-holes poked in the top for my slings. holds in humidity like a dream and is deep enough that even tiny pinhead crickets and flightless fruitflies (the evil) can't get out again before i close it. i like that. :)

my slings all have soil except for my 1" and 1 1/2" curly hair that have the soil they came with as well as a bit of reptibark. interestingly enough, they seem to LOVE this bark. the male has excavated little caves in it and the female burrows very happily seeming.

great stuff overall. :)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow Skadi, your Wal-Mart doesn't carry those? That's wild. For my slings I use containers that I got from John Hoke at e-spiderworld. And I bought a bunch of the rubbermaid things at Big Lots. For my parahybana I use a glass aquarium with the sliding screen on top (Critter Keepers?), I think they're made for reptiles. For my crickets, I order 1000 at a time I use a 20 gallon reptile cage that the glass was cracked in at the pet store, they sold it to me for $5, it has vent holes with screening on all 4 sides. Mr. T looks like the one cricket on the egg crate is tanning, pass the coppertone!!=D

Andy

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I, too, have a lame Wal-mart. That's ok, though. There a Pet Co 3 doors down (eewww, I can't believe I used that phrase....). I got the "Reptile Ranch" thingie there. That's what I keep my B. smithi in. She's currently mad at me for disturbing her this morning.

I like them, but only for really calm Ts. That's why I got the 10 gal for my A. seemanni. If i had her in a Reptile Ranch she would take off right out of it if she so much as caught a draft. She's a little spaz sometimes :D And a bit too fast to keep in something that doesn't have room for her to burrow to play hermit.

N.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
`Mr T,

Why do you use substrate? dont they fill it with eggs? I prefer a more controlled environment for my crickets, no substrate, more egg-crates, no water, some soil for the eggs....