People that handle their hot T's

Lolita

Arachnoknight
I agree, but the people who have been posting off-topic responses should stick to the thread subject: "People that handle their hot T's". There are already a bunch of "handling" threads, this one is supposed to be specifically "hots". And I'm not directing this at you, it is to all the people posting off-topic. Your posts are at least about handling, we have others who are insisting that board members are taking steroids (what that has to do with handling, or even tarantulas, is beyond me).
yeah i agree i do think that there are some instances (for educational purposes for instance on temperment and venom) where handling "hot" t's is acceptable or if you have an escapee and you can only get it with your hands at that point but otherwise i think it's an unneeded risk and it's like the old analogy if you play with fire you'll get burned it's the truth most people i know who handle "hotter" t's have gotten bitten at some point and that just goes to show they have their venom for a reason old worlds are feistier than new worlds and it's evident i think if you handle "hot" t's just to handle them then your bound to get bit at some point and it's a little bit of a crazy act at least to me it is because i don't see a point if you wanna handle a T get a new world for handling and use your OW as displays i have tokay geckos for instance a lot of people handle them i don't the few instances where i've had to have resulted in painful bites does that mean i gave them up? nope i just use them a my barking display geckos and i got some cresteds for handling instead theres ways to have your cake and eat it too basically.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh my God you guys, will this never end? What are we arguing about, again? Wasn't it whether or not giving your T steroids before you work out will result in aggressive behavior?

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
Oh my God you guys, will this never end? What are we arguing about, again? Wasn't it whether or not giving your T steroids before you work out will result in aggressive behavior?
Defensive behaviour!{D C'mon!:D

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, back onto the topic. The reason I handle my T's doesn't matter what species is because I enjoy it. And while there are risk involved, I believe they are pale in comparison to what some others do for their enjoyment. Just look at all the videos on you tube of people almost killing themselves on skateboards and bikes. I mean there are other things that I do myself that have more risk than just handling my T's.

Art

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You are welcome to your opinion. You are suggesting that my handling of t's, and others handling their t's, is dangerous, stupid, etc., etc. There are risks in just about everything in life. Treating people like they're stupid for handling their tarantulas is detrimental to the hobby. Why not just say that YOU would feel stupid if you handled your t and got bit, and that is why youdon't handle? Why resort to saying that people who do so are being risky or stupid?
Simple reason. Much more easy to tell others that they are stupid:cool:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
OK, back onto the topic. The reason I handle my T's doesn't matter what species is because I enjoy it. And while there are risk involved, I believe they are pale in comparison to what some others do for their enjoyment. Just look at all the videos on you tube of people almost killing themselves on skateboards and bikes. I mean there are other things that I do myself that have more risk than just handling my T's.

Art
so, you're comparing yourself to "backyard stunt men" then?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok now its official. You have NO IDEA whatsoever of what and how anabolic steroids work. :rolleyes:
Next time watch out with certain acusations, specially if you truly dont know anything about it.
If you've got a few thousand dollars to wager on a urine test, then you have a hundred bucks to buy a cleanser which rids the body of anabolic steroids in as little as 4 days.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I'm not sure why you think you have to be right about everything. I can see that you have plenty of free time to pick apart every comment that does not match your own opinion, though, so I wish you the best of luck in your future pessimistic contributions.
Dude, you obviously don't know me if you think I that I think that I need to be right about everything. I appreciate truth over all else, but plain truth IS that most of us are wrong about nearly everything. No, me thinks you have a problem with me because I MIGHT be right.

Actually, I'm a very OPTIMISTIC person. Perhaps my posts don't show that side of me to the casual observer, but if you look a bit closer you'll see that what I'm shooting for is the betterment of any particular issue.

Oh, and I have no less or more "time" than anyone else on this forum.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Phoenix knows everything, didn't you know? He knows Fran better than Fran knows Fran. :rolleyes:

I just don't see how his personal attacks are contributing to the "handling hot Ts" discussion. PMing has already been mentioned, but then again, I don't know Phoenix's reading comprehension level.
Tom, please read my post above. Thank you. No personal attacks here. You must be a very sensitive guy! ;)

Can you explain to me what "comprehension level" is??

I know what a PM is, private message, right?? Oh, yeah, Fran PMed me and I PMed him back. Is there anything else you would like to know? All you have to do is ask, can you COMPREHEND that? or is that beyond your human capacity to understand? Do you equate assumptions and insults with questions? Is that your malfunction?

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Wow... How much more ignorant can you get than assuming someone who bodybuilds is automatically on steroids? :wall:
Well, it's not much different than "assuming" someone who is in prison in America is guilty of a crime.

Or that someone who handles their tarantulas will eventually be bit.

And to keep this on topic, I have always handled my "hot" t's, though if they are displaying fangs or slapping at me, I let them be. Actually, even if they act like they aren't interested in coming out for a walk-about, I let them be. I've never been bit by a "hot" t despite uncountable handlings. So apparently I am the exception to the "rule"??

I'll provide my most recent example. I'm fattening up a female P. fasciata (black widow equivalent venom) and was merely outside of her tank the other night. Not opening it. Not tapping on anything. Just looking around the front of the cage, and seeing if she had live crickets left or if she was in a non-crabby mood to where I could move the male into the tank. Well, she spotted me. She was handing on the side of the tank on the glass. She turned suddenly and slapped rather hard at me, then bared her fangs, displaying herself in a rather intimidating manner. Well, needless to say, but I'll say it, I decided not to mess with her that night!

Last edited:

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Well, it's not much different than "assuming" someone who is in prison in America is guilty of a crime.

well it's actually more of a statistical thing especially with more aggressive species the likelihood of getting bit is high if you handle regularly enough same thing with any animal almost if you handle reptiles chances are a some point you'll get bit it's the same principal to tarantulas

Rob1985

This user has no status.
If you've got a few thousand dollars to wager on a urine test, then you have a hundred bucks to buy a cleanser which rids the body of anabolic steroids in as little as 4 days.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Dude, you obviously don't know me if you think I that I think that I need to be right about everything. I appreciate truth over all else, but plain truth IS that most of us are wrong about nearly everything. No, me thinks you have a problem with me because I MIGHT be right.

Actually, I'm a very OPTIMISTIC person. Perhaps my posts don't show that side of me to the casual observer, but if you look a bit closer you'll see that what I'm shooting for is the betterment of any particular issue.

Oh, and I have no less or more "time" than anyone else on this forum.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Tom, please read my post above. Thank you. No personal attacks here. You must be a very sensitive guy! ;)

Can you explain to me what "comprehension level" is??

I know what a PM is, private message, right?? Oh, yeah, Fran PMed me and I PMed him back. Is there anything else you would like to know? All you have to do is ask, can you COMPREHEND that? or is that beyond your human capacity to understand? Do you equate assumptions and insults with questions? Is that your malfunction?

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

And to keep this on topic, I have always handled my "hot" t's, though if they are displaying fangs or slapping at me, I let them be. Actually, even if they act like they aren't interested in coming out for a walk-about, I let them be. I've never been bit by a "hot" t despite uncountable handlings. So apparently I am the exception to the "rule"??

I'll provide my most recent example. I'm fattening up a female P. fasciata (black widow equivalent venom) and was merely outside of her tank the other night. Not opening it. Not tapping on anything. Just looking around the front of the cage. Well, she spotted me. She was handing on the side of the tank on the glass. She turned suddenly and slapped rather hard at me, then bared her fangs, displaying herself in a rather intimidating manner. Well, needless to say, but I'll say it, I decided not to mess with her that night!
comparing bodybuilding and steroids to a person in prison being guilty? How did you come up with that association?

They don't even make logic and reasonable sense to compare.

It's a given (within a 90%) that a person in prison is guilty of the crime or by association.

It's not nearly that of professional body builders, as they are tested regularly when they join the association. :?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

See, you do have a problem of comprehension. I said full blowN BLOOD WORK AND URINE TESTS.

Once again, you dont know the first thing about anabolic steroids. There are not such substances that will eliminate the ILEGAL susbtances on a BLOOD WORK analisis.
One thing is MASKING URIN TESTS,WHICH IS NOT EASY, another is to fool a blood work. If it was a matter of a couple of thousands, do you think ANY PROFESIONAL ATHLETE WOULD BE CAUGHT ON STEROIDS? Yes, that was quite dumb from you.

Im sorry to be off track but you forced me, So Just to educate you in the subject a bit; Anabolic steroids in bodybuilding are used to increase muscle size and shorten recovery among others.

To simplify, In order to have a huge amount of muscle increase you need to increase your levels of testosterone/growth hormone ETC in your body.
Even if I were taking steroids but I were not using them right now, if they do blood work on me and they check my levels, they will see that the levels on my body are faar avobe normal levels. Which would mean that I am using steroids which ARE ilegal enhancement substances .

So once again, dont talk about what you dont know. Further more, watch out with acusing people (for free) of BREAKING THE LAW, because some people wouldnt mind to use a couple of grand to escalate the situation, legaly.

PS: See, you are making me get a bit serious with someone like you who doesnt deserve my attention.

Do you actually know that If I were taking ilegal susbtances right now I wouldnt be a resident in this country, neither a dual citizen? NO YOU DIDNT.

Do you know that thanks to big mouths like yourself, when my lawyers and myself were doing my resident permit paperwork in the US, they required several blood tests because of this same stupid never ending steroid crap?? NO, you dont know it.

So once again, if you are going to acuse somebody of breaking the law, BE READY to deal with the consecuences. If not, do us a favor, and stay on topic.
Stuff like this is more serious than people think, and if you are gonna damage my integrity in public, I will tell you from the get go that I will escalate this.

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
phoenixxavierre;

I do think you have some very good points, and i agree with you big time on many of those. But i have to say that you would get a better understanding of your words in here if you would refrain from personal attacks! Steroids or no steriods, it is 110% irrelevant to what is being discussed here. I am not trying to be a mod here, just trying to help you out her;-)

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
comparing bodybuilding and steroids to a person in prison being guilty? How did you come up with that association?

They don't even make logic and reasonable sense to compare.

It's a given (within a 90%) that a person in prison is guilty of the crime or by association.

It's not nearly that of professional body builders, as they are tested regularly when they join the association. :?
Look, just because YOU don't understand a comparison doesn't automatically make it illogical, Mr. Spock.

Guilty by association? You do realize that such a statement is blatantly against the constitution. The government may not lawfully make us guilty by association. Oh, they do it, but they're not supposed to! :embarrassed:

I made that comparison because I personally (and not just me) believe that there are multitudes of people in prison who simply don't belong there. The point being that being bit by a "hot" t merely because you handle it is an assumption/presumption, no different than presuming guilt, or assuming that most body builders use steroids.

Testing makes no difference anyway. What, do you think anabolic steroids can't be flushed out of one's system? Of course they can, like any other drug.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so, you're comparing yourself to "backyard stunt men" then?
No, because the things that "backyard stunt men" do are way more dangerous than handling even the most venomous tarantula. All I was saying is that there are a lot of things that people do that is more dangerous than handling a tarantula. How about the people that ride motorcycles rather than drive car. Even going to a hospital for any reason is more dangerous than handling a tarantula(do you know how many diseases are floating around there). There is absolutely nothing wrong with handling even the most venomous tarantula as long as your reasoning isn't just to show off.

Art

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
No, because the things that "backyard stunt men" do are way more dangerous than handling even the most venomous tarantula. All I was saying is that there are a lot of things that people do that is more dangerous than handling a tarantula. How about the people that ride motorcycles rather than drive car. Even going to a hospital for any reason is more dangerous than handling a tarantula(do you know how many diseases are floating around there). There is absolutely nothing wrong with handling even the most venomous tarantula as long as your reasoning isn't just to show off.

Art
I wouldn't want to handel the most venomus turantula and I don't see the need to handel my T's.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
See, you do have a problem of comprehension. I said full blowN BLOOD WORK AND URINE TESTS.

Once again, you dont know the first thing about anabolic steroids. There are not such substances that will eliminate the ILEGAL susbtances on a BLOOD WORK analisis.
One thing is MASKING URIN TESTS,WHICH IS NOT EASY, another is to fool a blood work. If it was a matter of a couple of thousands, do you think ANY PROFESIONAL ATHLETE WOULD BE CAUGHT ON STEROIDS? Yes, that was quite dumb from you.

Im sorry to be off track but you forced me, So Just to educate you in the subject a bit; Anabolic steroids in bodybuilding are used to increase muscle size and shorten recovery among others.

To simplify, In order to have a huge amount of muscle increase you need to increase your levels of testosterone/growth hormone ETC in your body.
Even if I were taking steroids but I were not using them right now, if they do blood work on me and they check my levels, they will see that the levels on my body are faar avobe normal levels. Which would mean that I am using steroids which ARE ilegal enhancement substances .

So once again, dont talk about what you dont know. Further more, watch out with acusing people (for free) of BREAKING THE LAW, because some people wouldnt mind to use a couple of grand to escalate the situation, legaly.

PS: See, you are making me get a bit serious with someone like you who doesnt deserve my attention.

Do you actually know that If I were taking ilegal susbtances right now I wouldnt be a resident in this country, neither a dual citizen? NO YOU DIDNT.

Do you know that thanks to big mouths like yourself, when my lawyers and myself were doing my resident permit paperwork in the US, they required several blood tests because of this same stupid never ending steroid crap?? NO, you dont know it.

So once again, if you are going to acuse somebody of breaking the law, BE READY to deal with the consecuences. If not, do us a favor, and stay on topic.
Stuff like this is more serious than people think, and if you are gonna damage my integrity in public, I will tell you from the get go that I will escalate this.
I comprehended the blood work just fine. Blood CAN be cleansed of toxins, such as anabolic steroids, and can be done in anywhere from 1 to 8 days roughly speaking.

You keep mistakenly thinking that I know nothing about steroids. I use to live with my girlfriend's stepfather who was a professional bodybuilder. He introduced me to it.

I am entitled to my opinion, whether it be that you use steroids or that you don't, whether you did or didn't. Whether your opinion is that you think I'm risky, irresponsible, stupid, or not. If I were to publicly declare to a cop that my opinion of him was that he was an a-hole, that's not against the law, or if I said it was my opinion that he was on drugs, that's not against the law either. Now if I were to publicly declare to anyone aside from you that you are using steroids, that I know it to be true, and wasn't messing with you in any way, then maybe you'd have a small chance to a claim. Same with me, if you were talking to someone else about me, stating things that weren't true. However, I have spoken only directly to you regarding steroid use. I haven't gone to anyone else and claimed, hey, you know one day me and Fran were hanging out and he pulled out this needle and starting pumping himself full of steroids! I couldn't believe it! No, nothing like that. On top of that, I would have to damage your reputation in some way, or damage you in some way, and would have to do it publicly, not privately, and you and I both know the only reason I made that comment was due to your professional hobby, similar to your comment regarding tarantula handlers being stupid, irresponsible, risky, etc. Besides, a body builder can have LEGITIMATE reasons for taking steroids. I never said you were taking them ILLEGALLY. We have freedom like that in America, freedom of opinion and speech. You won't ever change my opinion by threatening me with legal action or by taking any. You're the first I've seen make such a threat on this forum, let alone towards me. But, maybe I've missed out on some of the exciting stuff!

And just for a reality check, you are no better than me. Take that to heart. Nor are you better than anyone else on this forum. If you think you are, you have serious mental issues and an obvious chip on your shoulder. We are merely different.

You are right, Fran. I didn't know those things, probably because you never bothered telling me. And I wouldn't really go throwing rocks in a glass house by using the affectionate word "big mouth". Now that I know what you've told me, I apologize to you. That must have been a stressful time for you. I didn't realize it was a sensitive spot. Then again, some people around here really don't give a crap about other people's sensitive spots. I can't count how many times people on this forum have hit one of mine. I don't point it out though.

Just one thing, do "us" a favor? Who is "us"? Was I talking to anyone other than you? Or just you? How could I possibly damage YOUR integrity? After all, I don't even deserve to be talking to you, right?

My intent was never to hurt your feelings, no more than your intent was to hurt mine. You've said some pretty negative things about people who handle t's. I'm one of those people. You think I won't react? I'm no different than you.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

phoenixxavierre;

I do think you have some very good points, and i agree with you big time on many of those. But i have to say that you would get a better understanding of your words in here if you would refrain from personal attacks! Steroids or no steriods, it is 110% irrelevant to what is being discussed here. I am not trying to be a mod here, just trying to help you out her;-)
Thank you. I do appreciate that. I would like to know though who made the first "personal attack" and where and when the personal attack occurred? I don't feel that I WAS making a personal attack. But I suppose some people are sensitive about their use or non-use of steroids.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

So, anyway, my girlfriend picked up some watercolor paint brushes for me, so hopefully I'll be "handling" my P. fasciata male soon, moving him to the female's enclosure, with the assistance of my new paint brushes! :)

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you. I do appreciate that. I would like to know though who made the first "personal attack" and where and when the personal attack occurred? I don't feel that I WAS making a personal attack. But I suppose some people are sensitive about their use or non-use of steroids.
Well, it does not really matter who starts it, if "attacked", just leave it be, it is the "attacker" who end up looking bad then;-)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
on another note, I wonder how many have received infractions from this thread? lol

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL - TomM, I notice you've been doing a lot of "editing" today (I laugh because now you're reminding me of ME). I also saw the "disclaimer" directed at me which, when I went back to quote it for a reply, appears to have, well, disappeared!

Okay, let me clear the air about the "on-topic off-topic" topic, as well as other sub-topics. I have not handled the "hot" species. But the day that I was allowed to handle a tarantula for the first time (an adult male G. pulchripes) I said to myself, to quote Will Smith, "I GOTTA GET ME ONE O' THESE!" (Independence Day). What I had previously perceived as a vicious, deadly, dangerous monster actually turned out to be a sweet-dispositioned, handleable creature, and I was captivated. It was like an epiphany.

My subsequent research, prior to getting "one o' those," (2 actually - the pulchripes and a smithi) led me to believe that New World tarantulas were handleable, Old Worlds were not. Since it was the handleability of tarantulas that interested me, I decided to stick to New Worlds - I mean, a tarantula bite is one thing, but just how bad could urticating hairs be anyway? (I found out with my A. geniculata ...) Then about a year ago I saw a video of somebody handling an Old World, and it was a revelation to me. I have NOT graduated to OWs yet, but in my mind, the "myth" about OWs was shattered. Since then, other posts, photos, and videos (yes, including the pinch/grab method) solidified my feeling that OWs, under the proper circumstances, certainly COULD be handled. I regard the daring folk that handle OWs with the same sort of awe I reserve for people who do things like climb the face of El Capitan bare-handed, or wrestle alligators (or fly space shuttles).

That's why I reacted the way I did at your statement about ... well, you know. I just sort of bristle whenever the subject comes up, and my knee-jerk reaction was in defense of "hot T" handlers, even though I'm not one myself. I should know better than to get involved in a subject that is so polarizing. It's one of the things I still have to learn about this hobby ...

I have a friend who runs her own (successful) business - the motto on her business card reads "Never fear going out on a limb - that's where the fruit is" ... that's kind of the way I feel about handling tarantulas. I don't know if I can put into words what I "get" out of it, but I can say going out on that limb produces some pretty tasty fruit! Maybe I speak for those daring enough to brave the "hot" species, I don't know. That's all I was trying to say - as usual, I should have approached it more delicately, and a little more clearly (I really was "on-topic," it just didn't come across that way).

I release you all with love and blessings - gotta go -I don't want to be late for my "hot" "hands-on" date with my Chaco! ;)