Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath"

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So I have a few questions regarding this species/locality.

1. Does anyone have proof whether or not they really are Pamphobeteus cf. "nigricolor" (hobby form)?
Discussed in this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/new-true-pamphobeteus-nigricolor.268559/

2. Are Pamphobeteus sp. "Santo Domingo Goliath" and Pamphobeteus sp. "San Domingo" the same thing? San Domingo is in the Dominican Republic and Santo Domingo is in Ecuador.
They referred to it as "San Domingo" here: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/pamphobeteus-sp-san-domingo.65964/

3. What size do they really get on average?

Thanks, I just want to try and clear this locality up a bit.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Following. I'd like to know as well. Also, is Pamphobeteus sp. 'Goliath' the same to any of the ones mentioned? And what makes them 'Goliaths' as I've heard Pamphobeteus antinous attain larger leg spans.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Following. I'd like to know as well. Also, is Pamphobeteus sp. 'Goliath' the same to any of the ones mentioned? And what makes them 'Goliaths' as I've heard Pamphobeteus antinous attain larger leg spans.
Right, if "San Domingo" and "Santo Domingo" really are both in the trade, what are the "Goliath"'s going around? Now the thread I linked from 2006 said that they get larger than T. blondi which I doubt, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Right, if "San Domingo" and "Santo Domingo" really are both in the trade, what are the "Goliath"'s going around? Now the thread I linked from 2006 said that they get larger than T. blondi which I doubt, but it'd be nice to know for sure.
I doubt they get larger than Theraphosa. I'd have to see proof and not one of those people saying their Lasiodora gets up to 11"+. I'm on the fence if I should add a Goliath to my order now...

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I doubt they get larger than Theraphosa. I'd have to see proof and not one of those people saying their Lasiodora gets up to 11"+. I'm on the fence if I should add a Goliath to my order now...
Right me too. Those LP sizes are super exaggerated and I wouldn't be surprised if the "Santo Domingo" sizes are too. I'd like one as well, but I want to clear things up before I make the jump.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Right me too. Those LP sizes are super exaggerated and I wouldn't be surprised if the "Santo Domingo" sizes are too. I'd like one as well, but I want to clear things up before I make the jump.
Same! As I plan on breeding all my Pamphobeteus sp. in the future, I don't want to purchase one if it's locality is up for debate. The genus is already muddy enough and I'd rather not mess with it more.

Maybe some of these users can help clear this up?
@Exoskeleton Invertebrates @Philth

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Your looking at a max legspan of 8-9 inches but an extremely heavy bodied spider. The claims about t blondi were not based on legspan they were based on physical girth I believe.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Your looking at a max legspan of 8-9 inches but an extremely heavy bodied spider. The claims about t blondi were not based on legspan they were based on physical girth I believe.
Got pics? And T. blondi/stirmi do get 9" on average as females, if I'm not mistaken.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Well I just edited my order and added a few Pamphobeteus sp. 'Goliath'. I'll add start a thread for the two comparing each one (Pamphobeteus antinous and sp. 'Goliath') with photos when I receive each of them and when they molt if anyone is interested. Also, @BobBarley you should add on to the thread if you're going to be getting a 'Santo Domingo Goliath'.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Got pics? And T. blondi/stirmi do get 9" on average as females, if I'm not mistaken.
My female stirmi is 8 inches and some change and she's gonna drop a sac or molt soon. I'm hoping the latter but a sac wouldn't be bad. I have access to 2 males if she doesn't drop and molts. Both of which are a solid ten inches. Leggy guys. The thread was on here I'll try and dig it up.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well I just edited my order and added a few Pamphobeteus sp. 'Goliath'. I'll add start a thread for the two comparing each one (Pamphobeteus antinous and sp. 'Goliath') with photos when I receive each of them and when they molt if anyone is interested. Also, @BobBarley you should add on to the thread if you're going to be getting a 'Santo Domingo Goliath'.
Will do, and yes I think I will be picking up a couple in the near future. :) Hopefully we can get a nice timeline going.
My female stirmi is 8 inches and some change and she's gonna drop a sac or molt soon. I'm hoping the latter but a sac wouldn't be bad. I have access to 2 males if she doesn't drop and molts. Both of which are a solid ten inches. Leggy guys. The thread was on here I'll try and dig it up.
Cool, thanks for sharing!

Ran

Arachnoknight
I have both a Santo Domingo goliath female that is currently 6" and I have quite a few female stirmi from 5" to 10"...the SDG is growing much slower and is definitely not as heavy bodied. I have some juvenile stirmi that were 1.5" when the SDG was 4"...now the stirmi are 5.5"-7". The SDG at this size still has the visible Xmas tree pattern on her abdomen (I hope it never leaves).

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have both a Santo Domingo goliath female that is currently 6" and I have quite a few female stirmi from 5" to 10"...the SDG is growing much slower and is definitely not as heavy bodied. I have some juvenile stirmi that were 1.5" when the SDG was 4"...now the stirmi are 5.5"-7". The SDG at this size still has the visible Xmas tree pattern on her abdomen (I hope it never leaves).
On the Santo Domingo Goliath the Christmas patter will be visible even at the size over 7" inches.

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for those! But we were wondering about the Santa Domingo Goliath, San Domingo Goliath and the Goliath. Did you happen to have any of the other 'Goliath'?
As far as I know those names were referred to the same species.

Pamphobeteus nigricolor someone is claiming that the real nigricolor never really made it to the hobby. That the nigricolor that is being sold for a number of years is actually from Ecuador and that it should be listed as Pamphobeteus sp. "Nigricolor" here is a link photos of the suppose to be the real nigricolor from Colombia and on this link they have a species listed only as Pamphobeteus sp. "Goliath" http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=Board&boardID=91 http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2230

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
As far as I know those names were referred to the same species.

Pamphobeteus nigricolor someone is claiming that the real nigricolor never really made it to the hobby. That the nigricolor that is being sold for a number of years is actually from Ecuador and that it should be listed as Pamphobeteus sp. "Nigricolor" here is a link photos of the suppose to be the real nigricolor from Colombia http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=Board&boardID=91 http://www.aracmania-forum.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2230
So would you, in your own experience, breed the 'Goliath' with 'Santa Domingo Goliath'? Not saying I would at all.

I know there's an Pamphobeteus cf. nigricolor, but Steve (Arachnoiden) actually has reals ones for sale (from Colombia) as well as the 'hobby form'.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So would you, in your own experience, breed the 'Goliath' with 'Santa Domingo Goliath'? Not saying I would at all.

I know there's an Pamphobeteus cf. nigricolor, but Steve (Arachnoiden) actually has reals ones for sale (from Colombia) as well as the 'hobby form'.
If Steve has the real Pamphobeteus nigricolor from Colombia the babies are not suppose to have the Christmas pattern. So ask him to text, email you a photo of the baby.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just spoke with Chris Young he stated that he imported the species San Domingo which San Domingo, Santo Domingo Goliath and Goliath are just a different terminology of what sellers have listed the same species as.