Problem Pages loading very slow

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I have lag as well when trying to load individual pages, but not the forum home page. I have 8 gigs of RAM that are only 30% used up right now and my CPU is plenty powerful, so I don't think the images are a problem.
If it matters to site staff, this is on Opera 47.0.2631.55 stable release, not using VPN. I have uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, and Privacy Badger on, but they're on everywhere and I don't have such slow loading times on other sites (in fact, uBlock makes them load faster).

keks

Arachnobaron
I'm still having intermittent long loading times.
The same here, but at the moment it is better.

Which mobile browser? I access AB all the time on my phone using Chrome (many, many versions out of date lol...V47) with no issues beyond the intermittent loading lag. Is your spam page anything like those shown here?

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/pop-ups.288271/
No, not one of this sites, because I live in Europe/Austria ^^.
I use chrome on the phone. This spam pages are promotion pages for holiday or something else. As I couldn't go back to AB I closed the tab. Usually I don't visit AB on my phone, I need too much time to read and translate words I don't know. It was only a side note :).

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine is a bit better right now -- only the slightest lag -- not enough to even be bothered.
Maybe it depends on how many people are accessing the board at the same time.
My search functions are working great though -- they aren't the lag I've had.
Mine has been waiting for a thread to load, a message to post, etc..

Anyway -- working pretty good right now.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Forum page load times have been better today.

Maybe it depends on how many people are accessing the board at the same time.
Lag was definitely worse during prime time, making the site practically unusable, but even at off times it was pretty bad.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Forum page load times have been better today.
Lag was definitely worse during prime time, making the site practically unusable, but even at off times it was pretty bad.
Yeah, I had several days with limited reading/posting -- just couldn't wait 45 - 60 seconds for each little click here. :(
It's behaving right now though.

[Can't believe the hours I spent on CompuServe in late 80s/early 90s at 300 baud rate. Now that was slow.... lol]

keks

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I had several days with limited reading/posting -- just couldn't wait 45 - 60 seconds for each little click here. :(
It's behaving right now though.

[Can't believe the hours I spent on CompuServe in late 80s/early 90s at 300 baud rate. Now that was slow.... lol]
But in these times there haven't been such a lot of information like now. My first PC was an Intel 286!! OMG ... I remember that I had the game "The spider". It was the slowest spider in the hole world, for sure since beginning of the world!! :rofl::rofl:

At the moment AB is running fine. Sometimes it stucks, but only for a short time.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
But in these times there haven't been such a lot of information like now. My first PC was an Intel 286!! OMG ... I remember that I had the game "The spider". It was the slowest spider in the hole world, for sure since beginning of the world!! :rofl::rofl:

At the moment AB is running fine. Sometimes it stucks, but only for a short time.
Exactly -- I had an IBM 286! Used good ol' DOS. That's PC-DOS not MS-DOS. (I also had (earlier) Texas Instruments and TRS-80 computers).
But my IBM 286 was so modern -- it took 3.5 disks instead of 5.25 floppies. And the hard drive & disk reader were BUILT IN! No cables -- it was actually built in - not a peripheral. lol
Spider -- the Solitaire game?! Right?
I remember when Windows 3 came out -- I installed it and really, unless you wanted word processing or Paint -- it didn't do a whole lot. Even Win 3.1.
I got online by loading my trusty CompuServe disk (Dos-CIS). I can remember it taking over an hour to upload one lousy GIF.
Ended up getting a second phone line because it was a constant issue that if computer was online -- you couldn't receive phone calls.
I still remember the sounds of modem connecting -- fond memory.
Abort, Retry, Fail? lol
Good old days!!! :)

keks

Arachnobaron
Exactly -- I had an IBM 286! Used good ol' DOS. That's PC-DOS not MS-DOS. (I also had (earlier) Texas Instruments and TRS-80 computers).
But my IBM 286 was so modern -- it took 3.5 disks instead of 5.25 floppies. And the hard drive & disk reader were BUILT IN! No cables -- it was actually built in - not a peripheral. lol
Spider -- the Solitaire game?! Right?
I remember when Windows 3 came out -- I installed it and really, unless you wanted word processing or Paint -- it didn't do a whole lot. Even Win 3.1.
I got online by loading my trusty CompuServe disk (Dos-CIS). I can remember it taking over an hour to upload one lousy GIF.
Ended up getting a second phone line because it was a constant issue that if computer was online -- you couldn't receive phone calls.
I still remember the sounds of modem connecting -- fond memory.
Abort, Retry, Fail? lol
Good old days!!! :)
No, it was not the card game, I only remember that such an itsybitsy spider was lurking on the screen, it was not playable ^^. The PC (it was sorted out and old and a gift) was a short time later defect. I had to start it from beginning with a special disk, it couldn't boot alone.
When I bought some years later another (new) PC, this game was unplayable again, the spider was sooooooooo fast, it litterally teleported from one edge to the other :rofl:. This PC had win 95 ^^.
Oh yeah. Blocked phone! And the sound of the modem ... What a time ^^.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I am thoroughly miffed that I missed out on the itsy-bitsy spider game! First game (other than Solitaire) I remember was 7th Guest but that was on cd-rom - so prolly mid-90s.
The only thing even close to an itsy-bitsy spider on screen that I remember was Neko kitty who chased your cursor around. Now that was adorable for all of 5 minutes, eventually it made you want to smash your very heavy monitor. Delete.

Online was so expensive back then -- I was delighted when CompuServe asked me be a sysop -- that meant 'free flags' in certain forums (later I was a wizop (sponsored account)-- which made all my CIS time free).
Today, no one thinks of such dial-up connection costs for both hourly phone company charges (if you lacked a local dial-up node) coupled with crazy online service charges -- $30+ bucks an hour for online time is crazy by today's standards! And all this at 300 baud, later 1200 baud speeds (if you upgraded your modem!). lol

keks

Arachnobaron
I am thoroughly miffed that I missed out on the itsy-bitsy spider game! First game (other than Solitaire) I remember was 7th Guest but that was on cd-rom - so prolly mid-90s.
The only thing even close to an itsy-bitsy spider on screen that I remember was Neko kitty who chased your cursor around. Now that was adorable for all of 5 minutes, eventually it made you want to smash your very heavy monitor. Delete.

Online was so expensive back then -- I was delighted when CompuServe asked me be a sysop -- that meant 'free flags' in certain forums (later I was a wizop (sponsored account)-- which made all my CIS time free).
Today, no one thinks of such dial-up connection costs for both hourly phone company charges (if you lacked a local dial-up node) coupled with crazy online service charges -- $30+ bucks an hour for online time is crazy by today's standards! And all this at 300 baud, later 1200 baud speeds (if you upgraded your modem!). lol
I really don't remember this game. Maybe my children can, but they were pretty young, I'm not sure ^^.
Yeah, it was very expensive. I don't remember how much it was, but it was expensive. I could be online only for a short time a week ^^.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Remembering 300 baud makes me feel guilty I ever complained of some lag here. :)
My how spoiled I've become. lol

Minimal to no lag today -- maybe issues are all resolved.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@MrDeranged On a serious note. Been running traceroute for 5 days. Connect is average. Lag normal. There is a problem on AB end re: page resolves are operating significantly slower than in the past - prior to the DB crash.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Some pages take ten minutes to load still. Closing the tab and opening a new one helps. Only had to do that 3 times today.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Some pages take ten minutes to load still. Closing the tab and opening a new one helps. Only had to do that 3 times today.
Thanks for tip. I'll try just closing the tab. I had been closing whole browser to get mine to 'refresh and speed up a bit.'

Today is only a bit slow -- maybe 15-20 second wait for AB to open threads, etc..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for tip. I'll try just closing the tab. I had been closing whole browser to get mine to 'refresh and speed up a bit.'

Today is only a bit slow -- maybe 15-20 second wait for AB to open threads, etc..
It works well for a while. Then just kind of stops.. it's unfortunate.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Download chrome beta. It works pretty much perfectly again.

Thanks @EulersK
Well, I'm glad that it works for you, but my pages still load slowly. It's faster on the computer, but I certainly wouldn't call it "fast".

Given that the problem seems to go away depending on the hour (especially in the middle of the night), I suspect that the owners of the site downgraded their hosting package with less RAM. I can't blame them, running a website isn't free.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Well, I'm glad that it works for you, but my pages still load slowly. It's faster on the computer, but I certainly wouldn't call it "fast".

Given that the problem seems to go away depending on the hour (especially in the middle of the night), I suspect that the owners of the site downgraded their hosting package with less RAM. I can't blame them, running a website isn't free.
My internet blows. This is fast enough for me.;)

Still can't send pics btw, don't know if I ever told you that.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Still can't send pics btw, don't know if I ever told you that.
Oh, you never checked into that thread again, did you? Turns out only Arachnosupporter Plus members have that ability.