P.Victori aka Mexican half & half makes cocoon

tarantulacece86

Arachnopeon
New to having this sling. Anyone who has grown up one of these guys… is this a sign of molting behavior? We had to re house all 3 because of mites in the enclosure and we switched to using drinking and distilled water only. Going to add spring tails. My local pet store is out right now had to order some. But anyways as soon as we re housed this fast gal or guy lol built this cocoon and won’t come out… even tho we moved his cork with his web without messing it up since it wasn’t attached to the glass. But he has been in this little cocoon and hasn’t came out to eat or anything. I was just wondering if someone ever ran into this type of behavior? And if it’s a sign of molting for this genus? FAA8C67B-5C44-45C5-98C4-083880F44AFC.jpeg

dman13760

Arachnosquire
Whenever mine has molted it has typically gone into hiding for a week or two, which is unusual because she is normally out and about. I'd keep the water dish full and give it some time alone

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
We had to re house all 3 because of mites in the enclosure
Why? Mites are a minor nuisance to your tarantula at worst (the only types you'll likely ever encounter as a keeper are detritivores, they're not parasitic) and easily gotten rid of without gutting the enclosure and rehousing if the sight of them bothers you that much.

If you haven't then I'd highly suggest reading the thread below.

we switched to using drinking and distilled water only.
I assume by drinking you mean bottled, this is fine but don't use distilled water as a primary drinking source.

But he has been in this little cocoon and hasn’t came out to eat or anything. I was just wondering if someone ever ran into this type of behavior? And if it’s a sign of molting for this genus?
Maybe, maybe not. Sealing itself away means that it doesn't want to be disturbed in any case.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I assume by drinking you mean bottled, this is fine but don't use distilled water as a primary drinking source.
Hmm, curious why not to use distilled water as primary drinking source... When I was just starting, I read something about using it because of one of the chemicals generally present in tap water (chlorine maybe?) is bad for T's. So I grabbed a gallon of distilled water and that's what I've been using to water all my T's and feeders. They've seemingly been fine so far, but if this isn't good for them I can pick up some "normal" bottled water as well.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I can't tell from the pic if the top of the tube is plugged? If it is, your T may be prepping to molt. If not, it's pretty typical for the genus - Psalmopoeus make dirt/debris curtains to hide in normally. Here's my P. victori's enclosure for example, but all my Psalmos are similar:
20221114_002927.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
We had to re house all 3 because of mites in the enclosure and we switched to using drinking and distilled water only. Going to add spring tails. My local pet store is out right now had to order some.
Also, if you're having mite issues in the enclosure, you're keeping it too moist. Psalmopoeus are OK with a little moisture in the substrate, but they don't need it wet enough to allow mites to thrive or support springtails.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Hmm, curious why not to use distilled water as primary drinking source.
Distilling removes all beneficial minerals from the water. Also, depending on how it's stored it can leach contaminants from any materials it comes into contact with.

When I was just starting, I read something about using it because of one of the chemicals generally present in tap water (chlorine maybe?) is bad for T's.
I think it will depend on where you live but tap water is generally fine to use, I've not run into any issues in like six and a half years of using it.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
When I think back to all the ridiculous stuff I did in the beginning in order to protect some bugs, I just shake my head. I cooked dirt for crying out loud. 😂

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's not a cocoon. A cocoon is another term for eggsac, just for future reference.

Making a burrow and/or webbing is normal for pretty much every species out there. I'd be more worried about a theraphosid not webbing or burrowing down. They are spiders, after all. ;)

I'm assuming you mean Psalmopoeus victori and again, for this species it's normal to web up their bark and enclosure like that. You won't see it much as a sling at all, they tend to hide mostly.

tarantulacece86

Arachnopeon
Hmm, curious why not to use distilled water as primary drinking source... When I was just starting, I read something about using it because of one of the chemicals generally present in tap water (chlorine maybe?) is bad for T's. So I grabbed a gallon of distilled water and that's what I've been using to water all my T's and feeders. They've seemingly been fine so far, but if this isn't good for them I can pick up some "normal" bottled water as well.
Yes, I switched because our city water is really full of chemicals. And I was told it could possibly be bad for the Ts. So just as a caution I’m using drinking bottled water and distilled water instead… And also it was leaving horrible stains.

tarantulacece86

Arachnopeon
Why? Mites are a minor nuisance to your tarantula at worst (the only types you'll likely ever encounter as a keeper are detritivores, they're not parasitic) and easily gotten rid of without gutting the enclosure and rehousing if the sight of them bothers you that much.

If you haven't then I'd highly suggest reading the thread below.

The reasons why we re housed also there was a horrible smell in all three enclosures, we seen mites and possible mold. And we made the decision to re house and stop using tap water. (Our city water is horrible) and yes drinking bottled water & distilled is what I meant. :)

Maybe, maybe not. Sealing itself away means that it doesn't want to be disturbed in any case.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, I switched because our city water is really full of chemicals. And I was told it could possibly be bad for the Ts. So just as a caution I’m using drinking bottled water and distilled water instead… And also it was leaving horrible stains.
I've been using our city water (same city) for all my critters for 25+ years and have had no issues - for tarantulas, reptiles, and fish. If you've got a routine down with bottled water that's fine, but don't fret too much if you run out and need to use tap water.

Nice to see someone else from ABQ on here!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I've been using our city water (same city) for all my critters for 25+ years and have had no issues - for tarantulas, reptiles, and fish. If you've got a routine down with bottled water that's fine, but don't fret too much if you run out and need to use tap water.

Nice to see someone else from ABQ on here!
Do you dechlorinate for herps and fish?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I actually did and couldn’t find anything and I’m new to the boards. 🙄 but thanks for the warm welcome
How did you search? What search terms did you use?

The best way to search is by using google to search WITHIN a site only. It’s simple to do if you don’t know how- just google how as many did.

As for terms, a lot of people use terms that are too specific. Maybe that was your case maybe not.

Last edited: