P. Regalis bad molt :(

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the 3rd time it has molted since I got it. All the other molts were great but this time it didn't go to well. Here are some pictures tell me what you think.

The first picture is kinda crazy cause most of the leg came out okay. The end didn't come out at all though.

Second picture. Here you can see its missing its back left leg :(

other then that everything went fine and its eating very well. i can't wait till it gets larger.. before it molted it was 2" 7/8"... so I'm not sure the size right now cause i couldn't find my ruler.

-bob

edit:

here is a close up of the end of the leg.

Last edited:

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dont worry it wiil grow back on the next moult it will take 2 or 3 moults before its back to normal , it looks healthy

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not to worried about it... I just thought it was quite interesting how it could just go wrong like this.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought that i had it enough but i guess i will have to keep the humidity up more. =\

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
make sure the enclosure is kept at the proper humidity and a few molts from now, that leg will be back to normal.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well see thats the thing... i was using vermiculite as substrate and it was always moist. i missed its enclosure on monday and thursdays. i thought maybe that would be sufficient.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My H. lividium male moulted about two weeks after shipping and lost a leg.

There was nothing I did wrong, the humidity was perfect...a bit high even.

Sometimes these things happen for no reason at all. Your spider should be fine after a moult or two.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
alright. i was just seeing if it was normal for this to happen even in the correct conditions.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually mist my small pokies enclosures daily because I don't have a water dish for them given their size. Sometimes I let it go a day.... is that too much? sorry about the molt......

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
alright well here is my update. my p. regalis molted once again :)

maybe you could even tell me if you think its a female ;)

here are the pictures

its grown back half the leg and the other leg is still a little jacked up :(

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dont know if it is female or male.he or shes leg will look better after another molt or two.still pretty small for a pokie.so should be fine

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im not worried about the molt. i was mainly updating it for educational purposes so everyone can see what it looks like when the leg regenerates. at least the people that haven't seen it.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for updating, Bob.. I hadn't seen it before and now I will know what to expect if it should ever happen to me.

How does the other leg look on the end? Better?

Also, how do you find keeping them on vermiculite... do you have mold problems with verm? Is it the really fine stuff or that chunky stuff?

Thanks!
~Aminah

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for updating, Bob.. I hadn't seen it before and now I will know what to expect if it should ever happen to me.

How does the other leg look on the end? Better?

Also, how do you find keeping them on vermiculite... do you have mold problems with verm? Is it the really fine stuff or that chunky stuff?

Thanks!
~Aminah

i'll try and take a picture in a couple days or so... i built a new enclosure for it so im trying to let it relax a bit.

i really liked keeping it on vermiculite. i am using the fine stuff right now... thats all i have found... if i could find the chucky stuff that would be better in my opinion