P. ornatus pic

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't have the best camera in the world but I really like this spider.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont know have your people contact my people (LOL) Thanks for the compliment.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. ornata

Actually one of the better pix i've seen of this species, you can really see the purple, which give them their common name Columbian purplebloom tarantula. I've got a couple of 4" females, still brown, waiting for them to obtain adult coloration.

N-Joy
Midwest Art

Lantang

Arachnopeon
Ling/Juvi coloration

Does ornatus get the xmas tree pattern like most other t's when there at that lings/juvi phase?I have a supposed ornatus, thats been pretty much the same color even since inch & a 1/2.

Lantang

Arachnopeon
woops

didnt mean to say most other t's, but of Pamphobeteus* sorry bout that!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe that the Pamphos that do have the Christmas tree start out with it, and lose it over time. Some Pamphos don't have it at all. Not sure about P ornatus but if you don't see it at 1 1/2", you probably won't.

Atrax

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My ornatus was probably a little larger 1.5" when I got it and did not have the christmas tree pattern.I don't know whether they ever have them or not.I agree with Atrax in that pamphobeteus seem to grow out of that pattern and some species don't have it at all.

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice pic. I'm planning on getting me one of these in the next week or so.

Bryan

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This isn't exactly conclusive evidence, but I suspect tha P. ornatus does not have the juvenile xmas tree pattern. First, I've got a nigricolor that I've raised from a small sling that just moulted yesterday - it was about 1.75" before the moult and had the tree pattern. Post moult it looks to be about 2.5", finally, no tree pattern. Second, here's a pretty bad shot I found of an ornatus sling at 4cm (right about 1.5-1.75" as well) and no xmas tree pattern is visible.

Attachments

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

mine lost it, but retained the starburst pattern on carapace.

-V

Lantang

Arachnopeon
other pampho's

Yea, I raised up P.fortis and Pamp ssp"platyomma", and they both had xmas tree's which they lost around the 2-3'' mark.
Iv got some P.vespertinus lings now, and they dont get the xmas markings,I guess same goes for ornatus then.

When they were smaller sized spiderlings(anyone's experience), did anyone get a little
white/yellow ring around the carapace of the spiderlings(of the genus Pamphobeteus), around the 1'' size?