Species P. ornata

ziu

Arachnopeon
This P. ornata Has lengths 16 Centimeter Sweep of leg

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
P ornata molts on new years

yay my P ornata has molted again this is its 2 molt in my care i got on 11-18-04 it molted on 11-26 and now again on 12-31-04...a while back i posted that the molt on 11-26-04 it went from 1.5 to 3" well this was not true after measuring the molt this morning it was only about 2.25"...
but now it stands at 3.25" i could measure it this time becasue it came out for pics when i took the molted skin away anyway here are the pics.

i am also thinking female using the sexing guide from Phalagorn website and the P ornata pics he has posted.http://www.zoonen.com/perzoonen/artikel.asp?oid=233789 here is the link just in case you all would like to check it out

any thoughts on the sex would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

MUNG!!!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
from what i've been told, the "stripe" on the abdomen is much darker in males than on females... sorry if it says that in the link... It wouldn't work for me :rolleyes:

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice :)
I would guess female also... keep the pics comming ;)

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice ornata you have there..seems like it molts quite fast

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey thanks for the responses everyone.
manville: yeah it molted really quick again it was very unexpected it had not eatin for like 4 days but thats only cause i had not gotten around to feeding it again then i come home to a T thats a hell of a lot bigger {D

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would say first...beautiful Pokie.

2nd. I would have to guess that beautiful Pokie is a male, from the size of the "dark spot" on it's abdomen. That's just a guess from my experience.

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Deschain said:
I would say first...beautiful Pokie.

2nd. I would have to guess that beautiful Pokie is a male, from the size of the "dark spot" on it's abdomen. That's just a guess from my experience.
That definately does not always work...according to a dealer I know, because he has about 17 2"+ ornatas and all their stripes are the same as that one...so that method doesn't work too well with ornata...

Last edited:

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
azztigma said:
That definately does not always work...according to a dealer I know, because he has about 17 2"+ ornatas and all their stripes are the same as that one...so that method doesn't work too well with ornata...

I find the odds that anyone would have two, let alone seventeen identical patterns on any part of a tarantula's body beyond staggering and heading into Fantasy Land Territory...no offense. :D

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if my guess was accurate...

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Deschain said:
I find the odds that anyone would have two, let alone seventeen identical patterns on any part of a tarantula's body beyond staggering and heading into Fantasy Land Territory...no offense. :D

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if my guess was accurate...
I don't mean they are exactly identical...but the color and size of the stripe is very similar to each other, but again, not 100% identical...my point is, that trick doesn't work well with ornata...well...not until it's a bit bigger at least, then you can start to tell, but his is still too small to tell if its male or female. That was the point I was trying to make...

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
a few molt series pics of a P ornata

well i tried my best to get some pics of my P ornata molting. im not sure if anyone has ever tried to take pics of a molting pokie but damn its pretty tough. anyway like i said i did my best to get some clean shots and most importantly to not disturb the T. first is the layback in the hammock web, then the fangs come out and the carapace is completley out, then the legs are about halfway out.

well the pics would help :wall: :wall:...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very nice David!!! You are lucky to get those shots. Like you said getting a pic of a molting Pokie is tough to say the least.

krusty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Groth P. ornata

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey thanks brian...it was awsome to be able to get some pics. unfortunatley i could not get anymore becasue of the angle of the tank but ill post some pics of this monster when i rehouse (her?)...3.25" all the way to about 4.75"

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is some crazy growth!!! :eek:
quit giving that T steroids...

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, thanks a lot for that picture Krusty. Information like this in the form of a picture sure does help a lot of people when it comes to T's. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gemein

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oooo ever nice! ... That sucker got pretty big; very nice T indeed!