P.ornata dying? sick? molting?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Im curious as to why you don't agree with occasional misting for drinking purposes?
I've never misted for any of my tarantulas arboreal or otherwise. I've not had a problem with substrate in the water bowl too much as most of my pokie water dishes are up high (glued with a double cup or wedged in off the ground). If I feel I need more humidity I moisten the substrate. If they need water they have the dishes.

As further evidence to support my practice I'll ask you this.. How many Ts not just pokies live near a permanent source of water? Is it possible that they rely more on dew and rain as a primary source of hydration?
Ts can have a big range on their water requirements. A T from the desert will not need water as often as a T from the rain forest. Some Ts never use a water dish. Others I see drinking from them right often. I make sure they have water available and call it good.

Not misting with a water dish has worked good for me and so I laid it out as what I would personally do. People are welcome to mist if they choose.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
She's tiny, with only her body being like 5-6 cm. Give or take, I haven't measured her yet :p Her abdominal being almost less than her carapace :( She's eaten two crickets so far so maybe she's just been very hungry. I didn't really think of how small her abdominal was until earlier today. Glad she's eating at least! Btw I only misted a liitle bit and that got her moving more, so I'm hoping it did her better than worse. I won't be misting again anytime soon. I've also taken out the crystals as I said in an earlier comment and replaced with water :)

And as also said in an earlier comment, I had plants that I was going to use but eventually didn't like them so I've just been waiting for a spare moment to go buy some, or order online. Been really busy days and I haven't had her for long. So.. More decor will be added both for her to web around/climb/whatever and for the prettiness!
I wouldn't worry about light misting causing harm. I just don't think it is necessary when using water dish.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Good luck.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
its not bad, its just useless. Ts can drink just fine from a water dish.
I disagree just look at the evidence... When we hear about a T in a death curl and or stress curl what do we suggest first? Get it to a water dish fast or in more severe cases flip it over and drop some water on the mouth parts.. One of the most common threads on the boards is help my T is in a death curl..

If these Ts are getting dehydrated in proper enclosures with water one would assume not all Ts will use a water dish..

For instance I have a versi that will not leave her web while in premolt.. I have to use a syringe and drop a few droplets of water on her web a couple times a week for 2-3 months until she molts.. She walks to the droplet and drinks nearly every time.. When she isn't in premolt I'm constantly cleaning poo of her dish so clearly she uses it.. I have many examples like that.. Based on what I have witnessed in my collection sometimes having a water dish means absolutely squat...

Im not telling people to provide there Ts with water like this constantly.. How you raise your spiders is your buisiness..

I just feel its valuable to offer an opposing opinion based on experience to the notion that misting Ts is harmful in some way..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I just feel its valuable to offer an opposing opinion based on experience to the notion that misting Ts is harmful in some way..
i never said that. thats interesting, i mist my avics here and there because of what i heard on the boards. but never any other genera.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No
i never said that. thats interesting, i mist my avics here and there because of what i heard on the boards. but never any other genera.
Sorry wasn't reffering to you specifically bro. It's just a general idea that alot of people have.. (Misting is bad M'kay.. Kind of mentality) I figured this thread was a good place to give my opinion on the subject..

As Trenor stated some Ts would never need to be misted most Aphnos, Grammys ,GBB, OBT P.mut Etc.. The species that have adapted to go very long periods of time without water..

I feel with some tropical species that offering water in a more natural way simulating dew or a light rain can be beneficial..

I think the reason most seasoned keepers say not to mist enclosures is because alot of newer keepers have trouble differentiating between a light mist and a monsoon.. Over misting in captivity can kill a T as fast as dehydration..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
No
Sorry wasn't reffering to you specifically bro. It's just a general idea that alot of people have.. (Misting is bad M'kay.. Kind of mentality) I figured this thread was a good place to give my opinion on the subject..

As Trenor stated some Ts would never need to be misted most Aphnos, Grammys ,GBB, OBT P.mut Etc.. The species that have adapted to go very long periods of time without water..

I feel with some tropical species that offering water in a more natural way simulating dew or a light rain can be beneficial..

I think the reason most seasoned keepers say not to mist enclosures is because alot of newer keepers have trouble differentiating between a light mist and a monsoon.. Over misting in captivity can kill a T as fast as dehydration..
very true, thanks for clarifying.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
LOL @ people saying misting is useless because it evaporates too quickly - for a quick humidity boost its great, as well as simulating rain, giving an additional source of water for drinking (many spiders don't drink from bottle caps).

louise f

Arachnoangel
LOL @ people saying misting is useless because it evaporates too quickly - for a quick humidity boost its great, as well as simulating rain, giving an additional source of water for drinking (many spiders don't drink from bottle caps).
I agree with the humidity boost, but that you say some T`s dont drink from bottle caps i dont agree.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't chase specific humidity numbers/ranges which is where humidity boosts are often used. Humidity is regulated with two things ventilation and how much moisture you add to the enclosure.

If your ventilation is right and you're spraying enough to change humidity for any amount of time (longer than an hour or two at 75-80F) then you're over spraying IMO. It is much easier and more effective to add the water to the substrate and get your humidity that way. Humidity from moisten substrate lasts a lot longer and stays more consistent. Drops on glass will evaporate faster than drops in the substrate so you end up with a lot of humidity for a short time then not much humidity the rest of the time. To get the same humidity results from spraying that you do by moistening the substrate you'd have to spray multiple times a day over several days/weeks. I see no need to do that when the other option is easier.

I've not seen a T that wouldn't drink from a cup/cap etc if they needed water. Even my arboreal tarantulas will come down to drink if they need to. I've never used a dropper to drop water on webs for drinking.

That being said, if you want to water your Ts by misting then there is no harm in doing so.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
There are species which require bone dry substrate. How do you get enough humidity in their tanks. A bottle cap won't be enough to provide adequate humidity in a big M. balfouri tank, for example. Certain species require heavy drought to be bred more reliably, some of which are species from genera like Poecilotheria, which come from a humid environment. How do you get higher humidity then, and keep the substrate dry? Spray the side of the tank 4-5 times a week.

Louise - many people have had this observation, not just me. Some spiders just prefer to drink from the side of the enclosure, not from a water dish and/or bury it as soon as you put it. I have probably 3 big bottle-caps buried in an enclosure where my P. regalis MM lives. ^^

Trenor

Arachnoprince
A bottle cap won't be enough to provide adequate humidity in a big M. balfouri tank, for example.
I have two M.balfouri communal setups and one lone tiny sling. When they are small slings I kept them on lightly moist substrate. Now that they are bigger I keep them on dry substrate except for wetting a corner of the substrate every other month. They have a water dish in one corner in case they need to drink. They are healthy, fat, and growing. I've never sprayed, misted or dropped water on the web or walls of their enclosure.

My C.cyaneopubescens --when a sling got lightly moist substrate -- after about an inch it is kept on bone dry substrate with a water dish. I don't even wet the sub for this species.

For my Poecilotheria I add moisture to part of the substrate for humidity if needed and they get a water dish. I can't speak to breeding, I've not bred any of my tarantulas yet.

Some spiders just prefer to drink from the side of the enclosure, not from a water dish and/or bury it as soon as you put it. I have probably 3 big bottle-caps buried in an enclosure where my P. regalis MM lives.
I avoid burred water dishes with my pokies by moving the dishes up high when they are smaller in top opening enclosures and just emptying them out/refilling them when they are bigger with the front opening enclosures. I tried putting them on the substrate and like you found them filled up a lot.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'd rather do a quick spray on the side of the enclosure rather than accommodate my enclosures to fit that design. ^^

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd rather do a quick spray on the side of the enclosure rather than accommodate my enclosures to fit that design. ^^
To each their own I guess. I'd rather mod the enclosure a bit and my pokies have water dishes filled with water not filled up with substrate. That way, if I can't work with them for a few days they are still able to drink as they please.

Add moisture (for humidity) to the substrate (if needed) when you water them twice a week (if needed) and on one of those days you feed them. Makes care for them really easy. ^^

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you dont need any sort of humidity boosts if your cage set up is right in the first place. simulating rain? when on earth is that ever needed? all my Ts are fine with just water bowls.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
you dont need any sort of humidity boosts if your cage set up is right in the first place. simulating rain? when on earth is that ever needed? all my Ts are fine with just water bowls.
It is for some species/spiders. Helps with feeding, breeding etc in some cases. Some people don't do it, some do.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Louise - many people have had this observation, not just me. Some spiders just prefer to drink from the side of the enclosure, not from a water dish and/or bury it as soon as you put it. I have probably 3 big bottle-caps buried in an enclosure where my P. regalis MM lives. ^^
A lot of my aboreals like to take a drink from the side of the enclosure when i mist. But they have water dishes too. Really a must have.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
A lot of my aboreals like to take a drink from the side of the enclosure when i mist. But they have water dishes too. Really a must have.
I add water dishes as well, but if they bury them I only add new ones/dig out the old ones after a molt, otherwise its just too much of a hassle.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I add water dishes as well, but if they bury them I only add new ones/dig out the old ones after a molt, otherwise its just too much of a hassle.
Can't bury them when they are in a holder on the side of the enclosure. ;)